P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Did the Welsh 3000s in July. It was quite tough enough without having to cover the length of Wales too 😆  
    I’m lucky living where I do - there’s a lot on my doorstep & masses more within an hour’s drive. You recovered ok TR?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Jools - im not 100%, whether thats from having  lingering cold for a few weeks, or a cold then then booster who knows, annoying mild headaches (could be the booster, could be sinuses) But the body is finally starting to feel better after vlm, after a bit of s and c, stretching, rolling and spiky ball. However having said all of that, December isnt the time of year for me to be on good shape anyway. This time last yr i was struggling to get going after 14 days of isolation with CV in the house, and im in a lot better shape than back then. Being in good shape in April and October are the aims. I can spend a bit of time building some mileage and then crack on mid January.
    Stubbington 10k 16th jan, chichester 10k (new version) 6th Feb, Goodwood 1/2 Feb 13th all with some miles before and after as testers.
  • Good attitude, TR. We're all having to rebuild...some more than others I guess.

Finder, yeah, I'm hoping it's benign but I'm just worried I've inherited my mother's heart. She had a bit of a leaky valve which wasn't considered urgent by the NHS, until it caused a clot that resulted in a massive stroke. Only then did they fix it, but it was too late as she lost her mobility and speech. My dad also had a stroke, though he had the whole high BP/cholesterol and type 2 diabetes triad. I know enough that I do not want to have a stroke.
    Beyond that, it may be that it's behind my loss off pace, but I've also had injuries (I just usually bounce back a lot quicker, whereas I've not got any faster since returning to running).

Jools, great photos. You are lucky to have that on your doorstep.

NE, same for me...first marathon at 48. Peaked at 52, but then the pandemic happened and I've hit a decline (see above!) Hoping it's temporary. I really wanted that GFA.

TT, that's a challenge I could definitely do! But probably shouldn't...

Went out for 6 miles today...five at a very slow, recovery plod (average HR in the 140s...only just for the fifth mile though) and then I did 10 lots of strides in the last mile...short but basic all out sprints. Garmin had my cadence at well over 200 for those. Really enjoyed doing them. I'm hoping they will help me improve my stride length and cadence again, both of which have dropped off a lot.
    I was lucky to catch the most amazing red sky during the early part of the run, though it did fade very quickly (rather like me, I guess).
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Wow, I'm just a spring chicken on this thread, at 44. All the youngsters (SQ, Joe, Spoon) seem to have disappeared.

Cal - Hope they can find what's wrong. I agree that strides feel good, especially if you've not done them for a while.

Welcome Finder. Good to see normal service from Jools (mad adventures and multiple races in a day) and TR (consistently ticking over).

NE - doing laps of a supermarket is something I could see me doing - my running seems to be mainly making the use of dead time between work and kids stuff.

It's mayhem in our house at the mo. My daughter is in the Epsom panto, so has heaps of rehearsals. We don't live close to Epsom so heaps of driving for me. 3 or 4 hour long rehearsals have given me the opportunity to do a few longer runs though - managed about 20 miles on Friday which went alright. Seem to be ticking along at about 50 mpw, which I'm happy with.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    HA77 what is the panto?? I am sure everyone is welcoming of a spring chicken! If you are doing 20 miles and 50 a week what does the rest of the week look like? Always interested in other people's training schedules. 

Cal well done on that cadence and strides, it feels as if you are having a good week?

Jooligan like you we have fabulous places very close, makes a massive difference to me.

I was only going to go for a run today, outside, but we have a skating rink in Yorkshire, so back to the gym for a spin class and a prog run starting at MP and ending at 5km pace (with a long WU). As the pace went up the intervals went down by a minute. Enjoyed it, then skated home! 
  • TT, it's only Tuesday...a lot could go wrong. 😂
    Glad there's no ice here...I hate it when it's slippery.
  • TR - I shall keep going - good that all your extras are getting you up to speed - I also use a spiky ball...
    HA77 - Some difficult logistics going on there, but 20 on the long run & 50 on the miles looks good & to be happy about
    Cal J - I hope things get sorted for you, but some nice strides there today.
    TT - you make it sound like it's grim up north...but of course it isn't really. That sounds like a great indoor session.

I also did some easy trail miles followed by some short hills and strides.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    TT If you're on Strava then join https://www.strava.com/clubs/176424
    Most threadsters are on it & easily identifiable.
    That'll get you properly fit HA. You should be flying by the Spring.
    Nice work on the strides Cal. Cardiac issues are worrying, hopefully yours won't amount to anything serious. Strict adherence to the HRM should see your pace improve but it'll be a month at least before you notice it.
    I was on the work treadmill first thing as Storm Barra was due to hit during my usual lunchtime track session so 10K with 6x1K@6:25 off 3:00 easy recovery. Felt very controlled & I could've gone quicker. Last K I upped the pace every 200m to finish at 6:07 pace. Averaged 7:02 for the session with wu & felt relatively fresh all day :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - good stuff, strides are a good idea.

Good news re the 20s HA. Did you get any GFA info back re Shakespeare?

TT - ice is dangerous for runners. I run the same lanes daily in my commute,,they get very wet and freeze up often due to the exposed fields etc but we dont get much snow down here.

Jools - top storm avoidance, i managed to miss it both time of a double today, which was well timed as we had a lot of rain, enough to cause flooding.

Easy 8 + 5.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    TR - thanks for the reminder. Didn't hear anything back from the Shakespeare Marathon so I've just sent an email to the London Marathon help desk. We'll see. Nice storm skipping double.

Understand the treadmill Jools. I planned a lunch time run today but just didn't bother.

TT - the panto is Beauty and the Beast. She did one in Wimbledon a couple of years back and I think that was the highlight of her life so far. Hopefully she enjoys this one as much. My running week has no structure at all at the mo, just fit it in when I can. Try to get a long run and maybe do a 10 km tempo, some 400-600s and strides if I can. Did 8x600ish m with 300m jog rec yesterday around some dark playing fields. 
  • Storm Barra didn't do much down here, fortunately, just rain. This morning's forecast wind was barely noticeable - just one gust, really. Still, I wasn't bursting with enthusiasm this morning but I dragged myself out for an 8 mile stumble around in the dark. I was hoping to see some Christmas lights but either a lot of folk haven't put theirs up yet, or they're not as bothered this year. Some of the roads that were spectacular last year haven't got many lights up yet, so guess I'll give it a week and have another look.
    This was a very slow run, but did include a few hills (nothing too steep but I was checking out the residential roads alongside Wandsworth Common, which go down into a sort of valley). HR averaged 145 which isn't bad considering the hills, but did peak at 150-160 while going up a few of the hills (it did come down again very quickly though).
    I guess this kind of slow running is better for my heart but I can't help but feel my form is suffering as cadence and stride length are piss poor. I guess I just need to do strides regularly, unless anyone has any better advice?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    There's plenty of Spring choice HA, just im case Shakespeare wont be included for GFA.

Cal - no idea re stride length and cadence, ive never looked at them. Pace vs HR are probably you're key areas of interest ? Not sure why youd want to track cadence and stride on top of those two.
    Most of my running is easy done to feel i dont watch pace just record it. I only watch pace on an mp or 10% type run, and even then i run to effort and just record the pace.............which leads me on to, i tried to lift it to approx mp+10% effort in the 2nd half of this mornings 10m and im still a bit off the boil, due to lurgy or boster?  17 weeks to get in shape for Brighton yet though, so onwards and upwards (slowly).
  • Blooming knee.  :'(
    Oh no! Not broken already are you?
  • Easy 5M recovery on the canal yesterday morning then back there for another session before work today.
    Crescendo Intervals session: 1M wu then 6'/5'/4'/3'/2'/1'/30" intervals with half-time jog recoveries then a 1M cd
    Target paces 6:50/6:40/6:30/6:20/6:10/6:00/5:50
    Actual paces 6:51/6:37/6:28/6:17/6:07/5:49/5:41
    Recoveries hovered around 8:20 pace except for the final 30s which I walked. 6.6M@7:17 all in
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    TR like you I track pace and HR. 

NE what happened?

Jooligan that is a fabulous session, well done.

HA77 interested that you have no structure, my life is so planned, runs go in first then I try and fit everything else in! 

Finder I do live in amazing place, great running, fabulous cycling and if you like outdoor swimming the beach is only 11 miles away. But we have had a bit of terrible weather! 

Black ice today, so back in the gym. Did 6.5 miles at MP+30-90 secs, 4.5 miles at MP then 3 miles at MP+30-90 secs plus WU and WD. Really enjoyed the MP bit, the rest was a struggle, but it is done. 
  • TR, my Garmin measures them. I've always had a pretty good cadence but it's dropped a bit. Stride length has never been great...and it's why I'm slow.

NE, doesn't sound good...what's up with it?

Jools, top work there.

6 miles today...didn't go out until after 9 so I was a bit quicker than yesterday even though there were a few traffic stops along the way. Feel better for it, though I have a few little niggles brewing that I need to keep a lid on. I've been rather lazy about stretching and doing my rehab, which is largely due to being enthralled by my current computer game. Need to be a bit more disciplined, eh?
  • Hoping not as bad as it sounds NE.

Jools - great pics from the weekend, spot on paces for those intervals.

HA - good use of panto downtime.

Cal - racking up the miles, good stuff. I don’t worry too much about cadence/length but one or both would have to reduce as pace drops.

Finder, welcome, hope this campaign is less eventful.  I had a car driver unwind his window to scream obscenities as me earlier this week, some people seem to be on a hair trigger.

Gina - sorry can’t help, I’m a Nike convert.

OO - hope the post marathon recovery is going wel

TT - sounds like your area ticks all the boxes, until you get to the ice bit.  Good mp work.

TR - I find those mp+10% hard work.  I put it down to high mileage weeks when the focus is on the main sessions and those MLRs feel like they should be a rest. Don’t blame you for sacking off the half last weekend. Head down, 17 weeks to go.

Halfway through week 3 here.  I put off last weekends MP run as I didn’t fancy the weather but with another storm blowing through earlier this week I thought just get it done.  Anyway, 8@6:26ave in an 18m LR was the outcome which i was quite pleased with.  A totally arbitrary and pointless target of 4,000 miles requires a 12/day ave so it helped with that too.
  • I’m sure excessive gaming will have a negative impact on stride length & cadence Cal.
    Nice TM session TT.
    Impressive LR & MP Macca. Remember that target chasing feeling well from this time last year Macca. A daily dozen is a big ask.
    Set myself a comfortable 3,000M target this year & passed that a few weeks ago so enjoying a few relatively low mileage weeks before the Spring marathon campaign, albeit with a daily 35 min minimum run. My PB came from a 12 wk build so happy to go with that again.
    I also already exceeded last year’s elevation total too so no pressure to go hunting hills for the sake of it.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    NE - oh dear.

Good speed there jools, i like the sound of that session.

Cal - my garmin measures them too, i just think you ahould stick to pace vs HR, that will enable you to track yr fitness at various paces/efforts.

Macca - nice mp, good to be sub 6.30s so far out. 4000 is pretty massive, lots of race miles in your yearly total too.

Similar to jools i went over 3000 a week or 2 back, which is solid given ive had 5 days off post mara twice and had quite a lot of turbo only sundays.

10m home tonight, copped a surprise soaking as it rained for all of it.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal I am with you on needing more stretching. 

Jooligan and TR  I am very impressed with 3000 miles, do you both have an steady average mileage? 

Macca I too find the MP+10% tough, I think they are too easy at the beginning and by the end I am totally fed up! Our area is amazing, and not much traffic either, noone travels through the East Riding, we don't even have any motorways. 

Outside looks amazing, till you are out there. Ice gone but biting wind. TM again. Three songs at MP+30-90 then one at MP. Helped by a lady on the next TM who wanted to have a conversation through the MP segment! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - i dont tend to save the +10% for the long runs, but as you say ive found i cant do that every long run as it gets too tiring, but i think they have made me strong later on in recent maras (coupled with a cautious early pace).

TT - treadie is a good option, but you need the impact of the tarmac in your legs too esp later in the mara build.......i pretty much do marsthon style trsining year round, just knock a bit off the longer runs when not actually training for a mara.

Cold and windy easy 6m here today, fee frothies later then a longish run tomorrow.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    TR totally understand the need for tarmac! Aimed to go out this morning (weather forecast said it would be okay) but last night the roads were gritted and ice was everywhere this morning.

Hopefully can go out during the day next week when the ice hopefully has melted! 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Macca- Thanks, feel OK since my marathon.  So back at it, 34m last week, 50 this.  Cracking LR from you, a nice bit of tempo speed.  Good luck getting to 4000 miles, a really impressive annual total. So 200+ miles for this month, you will massacre that Xmas lunch! 
    TR and Jooligan - 3000m+ is also mightily impressive, cannot beat being consistently consistent with your marathon and adventure running.  Jooligan - Thanks for the Strava link have joined.  I am hoping for 2500m, currently 2337.  
    TT - Hope you have a chance to get out and run as just cannot cope with a TM run, so good on you. 

Not running the Madeira marathon now.  Too much travel hassle and my mate who I was going to go with has Covid.  Fortunately, cancellation free hotels, the race RD has kindly agreed to roll-over the 2022 entry to 2023 and can transfer the EJ flight to another EJ flight.  Then was going to book Manchester yesterday,  to find the race taking no more entries until early January, so that could be a whoops moment, though hopefully get a place then!.

Just easy running but ran a really enjoyable 11m in the sun (and occasional hail) yesterday on a pretty bumpy but dry trail course in the nearby hills and through the forest, barely a soul around, just hearing the sound of your breathing - loved it.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    TT - agreed, defo avoid the ice.

OO - sounds like a great place to run

6m easy yday, 17m today, 8 easy 9 approx 10%, a bit on the slow side for the effort but it was pretty lumpy.
  • OuchOuch, travel seems to be a massive ballache at the moment...I'm not signing up for any foreign races next year. Probably for the best.

No ice down here but definitely on the nippy side.  Today's parkrun was Charlton, one of the two new ones in London (the other I did a few weeks back). It's mostly flat (one slight gradient), three laps and mostly on grass. Fortunately it wasn't too muddy (much less so than Broadwater last week) but I'd worn trail shoes as a precaution. Still only just got under 28 minutes which is a bit rubbish... HR was high too (180s...max of 190 on this run) and while I was pushing somewhat, I didn't feel as though I was going all out. Feel OK though. Anyway, that takes me to 1200 miles for the year...I'm a lot of miles down on last year but then last year (when I ran 2020 miles) is likely why my body has fallen apart this year.
    Club Christmas do tonight...so not sure what tomorrow's run will be like, if it happens!
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    OO shame about Madeira, we did think about Lanzarote this year, but like you think travel is just too much hassle.

Cal are you aiming to do all the ParkRuns?

TR what do you count as lumpy??

Had seven hours in the car yesterday driving to Cambridge and back! So decided to do the shortest run on the week's schedule and no spin class. To make it even better I was able to go outside. 10km, running is much easier with no bike ride before hand!
  • Nice parkrun tourism Cal.
    Busy weekend for me.
    I ventured to Berkeley Green en route to Brizzle for a night out. An uninspiring 3 lap course round the Car parks & some old buildings with 2 dead turns per lap. Managed 4th place in 19:38, my fastest time since June & highest WAVA of the year. I’d broken in a new pair of Takumi Sen 5s at the parkrun. I bought them over 2 years ago. Didn’t try them out straight away as my race form was appallingly bad so I was waiting til the training began to pay dividends but we all know what happened next. Verdict: I’d use them on Sunday.
    35K bike ride as a cool down, bite to eat & down to my mates for coffee & a catch-up before heading out for the night.
    A couple of pints apiece of Cider & Stout in Bristol then a 4K walk home wasn’t textbook race prep but wth. Last minute entry thanks to Spoons donating his so no pressure.
    Up at 7:30 & straight into the car for the 2hr drive to Telford for my 3rd crack at the UK’s fastest 10K
    Very leisurely 4K warm-up watching the elite Men confirmed 2 things: legs felt good 👍 & it was gonna be surprisingly 🥵 so back to the car to drop off all the extra layers/gloves & don the race vest n shoes. Time for a few strides & then I lined up at the very back as I was still doubtful I’d break 40 minutes.
    1st K in 3:45 without pushing thanks to the helpful hill then a string of 3:5x til 5K in 19:27! Hang on! That’s quicker than any parkrun this year. Have I gone out too fast after all? It should assure me a sub 40 so long as I don’t blow it now. I resolve to cruise the next 3K then push for home in the final 2K. 
    The 6th K has the slight climb which you always feel 2nd time round so a 4:01 didn’t worry me unduly especially as you get the payback at the start of the 7th which was a 3:58. 8th K includes a slight drop to the turn cone & consequently has a slight incline. It’s only 5m over 300m but by that stage it really hurts as you try to accelerate back up to speed & it told as I clocked 4:05 here. I was still feeling good & was now confident of achieving my first sub40 as an MV50. I upped the effort slightly & reeled a few slowing runners in. 9th K in 3:54 & a final push for home gave me 39:25 on the watch which was later confirmed.
    Ridiculously high standard s431st (of 1061), 19th MV50 (of 86) & my highest 10K WAVA ever (77.63%) 😎
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    TR - heard back from London marathon, the Shakespeare marathon is not accepted for GFA or Championship qualification. Not sure what the Spring plan is now.

Jools - Great 10k there. Cider and stout loading did the job but the sound of it. You're clearly in good form at the mo. Good place to be before a marathon block.

A bit over 40 miles for me last week, but a decent long run (20 miles at about 7/mile) made it feel like a reasonable week. I'm almost at 1600 miles for the year, pretty poor really but haven't been particularly motivated or focused. Feeling like I'm building fitness at the mo though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - how was the do.  I had a Christmas meal out saturday, with a few frothies. Might be the last night out for a while.

Thats a lot of travel TT, the 9m starts off flattish, gets rolling and then has best part of a mile up and then similar down. When i do mp runs, i make sure the long limb and descent are in the warm down and not the mp part.

Top weekends efforts jools, sharp 10k too despite all rhe prior antics saturday.

HA - well at least you know re Shakespeare, plenty of spring options with Southampton, brighton, manch, MK etc plus smaller maras.......keep the training going, entering a spring mara might help that.

Turbo intervals yday, 10m commute home tonight.