A 1000 miles in 2022?

Comments

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie: given the winds today, I'd imagine your run was an experience.

Cal: are you close to completing all the London parkruns? Have to admit I'm about 1km away from my local one and dispite good intentions always go there. Bizarrely, I also drive to the event. 

Parkrun making 97.9
  • Fantastic stuff, Hobie!

Donnie, I first completed Lon-Done on NYD 2020 so now it's just a case of keeping on top of any new additions. Currently the only one I haven't done is Southall, which started a couple of weeks ago. I haven't quite completed Lon-Done Plus (some of these are technically outside London, but within the M25) but that'll happen over the next few months, I expect. My next parkrun achievement will be getting my Cowell, which is 100 different parkruns. I'm currently on 93.
    And have a word with yourself! Driving 1km? At least run there, it's a good warm-up!

And today's feat was a 20 mile run...lovely weather for it. Legs died towards the end but I got it done.

YTD: 153
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal I did not realise that there is a thing called Lon-Done! Our nearest ParkRun is 13 miles away and is very popular with tourists in the summer.

Hobie that makes my elevation gain look pathetic!!

Alehouse thank you, I am going to go for over the elevation gain as often as I can, which is quite easy round here 

Out before sunrise, OH drove me to our next big town and I ran back. It was lovely, perfect weather, especially after the 55mph winds yesterday. Quite a bit of debris in some parts but overall it was fabulous running weather. First 20.04 miles done. 

YTD: 196.58
    EG: 1891ft
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Great running Cal!!!

Hobie...Superb outing for you, and friends!

TT Just seen that you have also posted a 20 mile run...Congrats.

Thought that I was ready for a longer run today, after the 'strong' physio session that I endured two days ago. Wrong! Settled for ten miles but the last few were a serious slog. However, really enjoyed the Bournemouth seafront in glorious sunshine. Only just above freezing but that didn't seem to be an issue for the many runners....nor the dozens of SEA SWIMMERS !!!

YTD: 97' .
  • TT - yeah...a few regions and counties have similar punny names. They're not official, of course, but that doesn't stop us parkrun tourists from enjoying the achievement.
    Well done on your first 20 - bet it was a lot faster than mine!

Well done on the 10, MrM2. Your legs are likely still tired from the physio.
    I think cold weather swimmers are bonkers.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cold water swimming? Bonkers, I shudder getting into a heated indoor pool. 

Ytd: 102.9
  • So one month completed.

YTD 101.37 miles 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well, we all seem to be of the same mind when it comes to January sea swimming!

Decided on a second run yesterday. A bit of an experiment; seeing what recovery there was after seven hours and a very tired finish to my morning 10'. Have to admit that I was also impatient to clock up my first 100' for the year!
    Today should have been a rest day...but you should have seen the conditions this afternoon! Couldn't resist another seafront run. Just 6 miles but feeling a bit livelier than yesterday.

So that brings me to 106' for January.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2, Donnie2 and Alehouse well done on those 100 miles, congratulations 🥳

Totally agree with everyone about January sea swimming, in fact up here any time of the year sea swimming without a thermal wetsuit. 

Weather hideous again, wind this time but we still have power which is good. Back on the TM.

YTD: 206.2
  • Fantastic overcoming of woes and brilliant improvement by others  as we finally start getting past the worst of COVID.

I have been quietly making progress too and am chuffed to be given the 2:40 pacing slot at GNR this year. It will be a mark of certain recovery but am going to take my time in getting stronger.

23/01 - 10.48
    25/01 - 5.64
    26/01 - 5.63
    28/01 - 5.63
    29/01 - 7.25
    30/01 - 10.48
    31/01 - 5.64
    (50.75)

YTD = 158.84 miles
  • Good 20 Cal,
    Congrats on the 100 for MM2, Donnie and Alehouse.
    The 200 for TT

Does anyone want to do a sneaky 10km and call it a virtual anytime between Sunday 6 February and 17 April (70 days) to mark the Platinum Jubilee?

If you want a medal to be posted our club will need you to register by emailing info@sikhsinthecity.org with your postal address.
     Oh, there is a £15 entry fee.
    Those running the actual race will also receive TWO Samosas.  Have said the Virtual runners can pick theirs up from their local Gurdwara (Sikh place of worship - they provide free food anyway) as we will be using the cost of samosas on posting you your medal. lol

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just dropping in to say,  Thanks for kind words.

Also to add my congrats to Donnie and Alehouse on your hundred! 

TT... well done on passing 200' !

Harmander... quietly beavering away, well into your second hundred, along with Dubai, Cal and Hobie.

(Seem to be missing quite a few of our former contributors. Hope everyone is OK)
  • Happy February! As I felt pretty wiped out by that 20 on Sunday, I decided to do a very very very easy run today - 4 miles going by HR rather than pace. Keeping my high-revving engine below 140 proved very difficult (it did go over a few times) and resulted in me "running" at a pace I can actually walk at, if I'm power walking. Felt kind of pointless, but a lot of people seem to swear by it so we'll see.

YTD: 157
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    This was a rest day until I saw a friend's post on Strava...'Anyone else doing February?'...Agreed to go for it, but at my pace, not his! 
    So, a simple 5k...in the dark, but with some street lighting. (No. I am not tempted to follow Dubai!)

YTD: 109' .
  • I'm not tempted by streaks or RED or anything like that...this knackered old carcass needs its rest days!
    Having said that...11 miles this morning. Still rather slow but legs felt OK so I guess the ultra slow run yesterday was beneficial after all.

YTD: 168
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal totally agree with you, rest days are necessary!

MrMr2 are you aiming for 5km a day?

Harmander congratulations, that's a wonderful thing to do and I am so grateful to pacers, hopefully everyone is!

Back on the TM, very windy, but the forecast is looking more positive.......

YTD: 214.95
  • I need but really don't like rest days. I'd love to run every day. 

5 to add making 

Ytd: 107.9
  • I too have found the rest days helped with my recovery - I remember telling everyone I coach to do it but in the past was a bit of a Boris myself.

5.63 miles today

YTD = 164.47 miles
  • I need rest days, body (and mind) just sometimes say "nope, not today" much respect to streakers.
    3 short runs yesterday, one in work at lunchtime and a couple of recce runs for the weekends lunacy.
    176 miles YTD
  • 8 miles today...not much to report.

YTD: 174
  • That is 8 miles more than me Cal
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Understand all the comments on the wisdom of rest days. I have long been an advocate myself, even changing the '5/6 days per week' marathon training schedules, and sticking to my 3-4 days. But this is just a 'one-off' challenge, to see what strategies I can come up with to get through 28 days. (A bit like the 4x4x48 challenge I did, just over a year ago; it was a finding-out exercise)

Yesterday I ran some slow miles, and then mile 6 was a 10min/mile effort. 
    Today I was along the seafront again, and extended to 8 miles. (Managed a 9:30 effort for mile 7)

(Like Cal, I'm curious to know what is happening to my heart rate. My resting h.r. is 50bpm but as soon as I start running it goes straight up to 140. Even when I slow down the h.r only drops to about 130+. That is about 15 bpm higher than it was a year ago.)

TT...I don't have a fixed distance as a daily target but I have rarely gone out for less than 3miles.

Hobie...Hope all goes well for your ambitious week-end!

YTD...123' .
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 I did Bred last February but cheated as I did a couple of double days and took some rest days. 

Cal not much to report to me is a good run!

Hobie enjoy the weekend 👍

Tempo run so it was always going to be on the TM, glad as it's cold! Started at MP and went to 10km pace. 

YTD: 222.17
  • Today's run brought up day 200 of my present streak. I find that streaking works for me: if I miss a day and then end up being lazy and miss a few days in a row. I do, though, take lots of easy days where I may just run 15 minutes very gently. 

YTD 113.35 miles. 
    5 weeks into the new year, so 35 days, so ahead of target which would be just under 96 miles working on 2.74 per day.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • MrM2...exactly like me. I hear about people running in the 120s but that would be a power walk for me. The second I break into a run it's 130s and carries on climbing. An easy run is 150s and can go over 160 at times. My breathing on runs like these is fairly slow.

Rest day today, but I did go to the gym and did half an hour on the bike, 10 mins on the hand cycle thing and then some weights.
  • I run blissfully ignorant of such measurements and try to run at a pace I feel comfortable at and only speed up if behind schedule. If I struggle to speed up I accept I need to get fitter - have been like this when I came to terms with the fact that I am not going to be setting new PBs and try to just enjoy myself or annoy others.
    Admire those who can and do this multi-tasking while running.

5.63 miles today.

YTD = 170.10 miles
  • I'm another who has never had a kit to measure heart rate although someone I know from my days at the gym, a 3 hour marathon runner, swears by heart rate training. I'd be interested to give it a go. 

Due to not wanting to travel to far and a few clashes with other things, I might have to wait until mid May for my first event of the year which seems a long time away. 

2 x 5 mile loop and a park run since signing in. 

Ytd: 121.0
  • Just felt lethargic today from the moment I left home to run to Barking parkrun a bit over 2 miles away - no amount of electronic monitoring gear was going to improve my effort. Struggled to keep to time until the 4km while pacing at parkrun and then dropped by 17 seconds in the last km.
    Felt better but not faster on the run home as I had a little jog first.

8.16 miles

YTD = 178.26 miles
  • On the subject of rest days, if you run at 7pm take the next day as a rest day and then 7am the following day you’ve had a rest day and 36h between runs. If you run at 7am and then 7pm the following day you also have a 36h break but no rest day….

I ran at 7.30 yesterday morning, today I was up at 4am for work and ran afterwards at 2pm, so I had a rest day, more than 24 hours between runs.
  • Runstreak day 402

29.1 6.63
    30.1 1.40
    31.1 8.23
    1.2  2.4
    2.2. 6.01
    3.2 10.02
    4.2 12.39
    5.2  4.22

YTD 186.08 miles