Options

A 1000 miles in 2022?

Comments

• Options
    Funny running weekend. 

Out Fri night after work. Started feeling full of beans. After about a mile it felt like I was about to get cramp in my right calf. Stopped and stretch a couple of times, took it easy and completed my 5 without to much stress. Spend the rest of the evening prodding my calf and lying around doing more stretching. 

With some misgivings headed off to parkrun. Run was mainly on grass, calf was OK although a little sore, I was pleasantly surprised with 24.20 

Out Sunday night, steady away for 5 miles although I don't feel I'm running well. 

Just seen the weather forcast for the week ahead on BBC Countryfile. Not a great one for running. 

Ytd:149.1
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie how's the calf this morning? 

Cal I used to often eat cake for brekkie! This was however, banana cake (homemade) with no refined sugar so it was not too bad for me. 

Back at spin class this morning, then did a there and back run, going East was far easier! Also I missed the rain which is a major bonus at the moment.

YTD: 272.55
    EG: 3543
  • Options
    Donnie, hope that calf is ok...I get similar from time to time, usually put it down to dehydration or old age.😆.
    Little run for me yesterday sorting out a 4.2mile loop for my Backyard ultra I'm organising...hope they don't ming 330 ft of climbing.🤣
    5 miles today in work before this weeks storms arrive. 
    245 miles YTD 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Looks like a decent result at parkrun. How is the calf now?

Hobie... A Backyard ultra? Hope you find some decent weather. How many signing-up?

A 'regular' route for a simple 7 miles (@ 10:18, not the 10:00 min/mile pace that I thought I had in me.)  
    So that is day 14 of 28. 

YTD: 203' . 
  • Options
    Well done on the 200 MrM2, no idea how many will come to have a crack at the Backyard, I'm doing for free to give people a chance to see what they can achieve. Some of our Friday group have Cardiff Half coming up at the end of March so I thought this would be a good way to get some confidence miles in where you're never too far from the start point.
  • Options
    Well done MrM2!
    Hobie, I must say I don't think I'm cut out for a backyard ultra. I wouldn't be able to go without sleep. I have the utmost admiration for those who can hack it, though.

Boring 4 mile recovery run today. 

YTD: 222
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for the concerns about my calf. Been rather strange. I'm putting it down to a change of everyday shoes. Last week I dug from the back of our coat cupboard a pair of old shoes I've not worn since lockdown. During lockdown I've reduced my footwear to a rarely used smart pair of work shoes, an almost unused pair of smart going out shoes, my old gym trainers which I use all the time and my running shoes. I think the reintroduced shoes were the root cause. They're now back in the depths of the cupboard, probably never to be seen again. Thankfully with more rolling and self massage the calf feels fine. Hope it stays that way. 

10k on Monday and 5 miles on Tuesday. It felt quite cold last night but I run in shorts, I always feel I run better in shorts. 

Ytd: 160.3
  • Options
    Glad the calf is okay Donnie 

Hobie, I’m unsure of the backyard, but would prob give it a go

Runstreak day 413

14.2 4.38
    15.2 11.02
    16.2 4.09

YTD 252.27 miles

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie very interesting about the shoes, glad your calf is now behaving itself. 

DR good to see you are still going. Is the airport back to pre COVID levels? My OH seems to spend a lot of time with his top half in one time zone and the rest of his body in Yorkshire, saves him travelling to Heathrow!

Hobie a backyard ultra sounds great, for other people, hopefully it will go well.

MrMr2 are you still going strong?

On the TM for intervals, might be on it for the rest of the week given the weather!

YTD: 279.1
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie...Cal...Thanks.

TT...'Strong' is probably not the word that I would choose...but happy to be recovering sufficiently each day, in order to hit the road again with something that could be useful.

Yesterday I played with a 'fast/slow' idea; two minutes of each, for 5 miles.
    This morning I tried alternate miles of 3-3 and 2-2 breathing, over an 'undulating' 6 miles.
    (Right ankle is telling me off for not giving it a rest day. But apart from that I think I'm OK)

Some nasty weather coming up but tomorrow looks good.

(Anyone seen Harmander?)

YTD: 214' .
  • Options
    TT, upper 900 flights a day so still below what we were used to and a lot of holiday flights at the minute.

Runstreak day 414

17.2 10.17

YTD 262.44 miles

• Options
    Not feeling fantastic this week...took yesterday off but while I did feel a bit less rubbish today, I still felt heavy legged and unfit. Did 6 miles and injected a few strides into the last mile but didn't help much. Need my bounce back by the weekend (I've a half).

YTD: 228
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Cal... Yes. Get yourself in shape for another busy week-end (parkrun AND Half?)

Got out in the glorious sunshine about mid-day. 
    Feeling good, so worked on cadence (when I remembered!).
    Happy with the undulating 7' coming in at 9:50/mile pace.  (Just over 67% A.G.)

YTD: 221' .
  • Options
    More proof I run better in shorts. 10k in 49:30 and then another 0.2 to reach my front door.

Baton down the hatches everyone, tomorrow going to be windy.

YTD: 166.6
  • Options
    Bit of a quiet week, mostly due to being kind of busy in work so not able to get lunch runs in and wild weather.

Organising the Backyard is going well...route sorted, arrows printed and trophy for someone who did better than they ever thought they could is made....for anyone thinking of it, do it, breaks down long distance into doable chunks.
    256 miles YTD 
    21,171ft elevation 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Tried the TM this morning, was not running outside in this! Did not achieve at all so cut it short, very short. 

YTD: 281.96
  • Options
    TT, beat you to the shortest run of the day. Got to bed at 4am, up at 8am and busy busy. 2k on the treadmill at 4pm before jumping in the pool for Moët with the wife, she’s been home in Ireland for the last week. 

YTD 263.69 miles

• Options
    So seven weeks in and still on track I believe. Actually at the weekly rate needed of 19.18 miles the present total should be 134.26 miles, and for once I am ahead: 
    YTD 164.8

DR: streak was broken when I fractured a metatarsal or two...falling over. I went to A&E who told me it was bruised and didn't x-ray it; went back six weeks later and an x-ray showed a break. A couple of months later I went to see a podiatrist and there were lots of cameramen outside: I assumed that they had heard I was going to see the guy. Then Rio Ferdinand walked out of the consulting room: he had had his feet checked over as part of his £29 million transfer. Probably very wise of Man U to have such valuable assets checked out! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Managed a 3 mile run today. Keeping to safe areas was the priority. 
    Hope everyone has survived the terrible weather! The week-end should be better?!

YTD: 224' .
  • Options
    Had to cancel our Friday club run for safety reasons...doesn't happen often.
    Had to do solo run on the coast path in Storm Eunice...no trees down on this route, looks like the worst of it was further South.
    261 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Hello everyone, Thanks for thinking of me.

The next day I was very comfortable and parkrun last Saturday was back on schedule for pace too. 

Yes I had been somewhat distracted from logging/updating here - Court work of two kinds (usual plus drafting a 19,000 word rebuttal of unfounded and repeat allegations from a neighbour - he does this on a regular basis to all his neighbours who object to his self-build 'Development' - this includes Council Officers and Members as well as police who appear to be seen in his company regularly) more later but there was one of three 'hearings' on Wednesday - might be an end in sight it seems.

No running today as felt it unnecessary given the weather.

I have two little events coming up to which you are all invited - mainly because the Club has decided to offer them as Virtual runs too.

20 March - EcoSikhs 10km (something to do with the Environment I am told)
    27 March - Fauja Singh BEM Birthday Challenge - you cover whatever distance you want in 7 hours.

Entry fees are £15 & £30 respectively - we post you your medals.

You just pay online to our Clubhouse Appeal tab and email us your address.

Also, is anyone doing the London Landmarks Half Marathon on 3 April? I am hoping to pace there, but doing it regardless (as trying to get to 300 half marathons asap so can concentrate on reaching 200 full marathons before getting the State Pension - am on 292 and 166 respectively right now and got 34 months left).

06/02 - Platinum Jubilee 10km organised by our Club - went really well.
    07/02 - 5.63
    09/02 - 7.25
    10/02 - 4.02
    11/02 - 7.25
    12/02 - 8.45
    13/02 - 10.25
    15/02 - 7.25
    17/02 - 5.64

(61.95)

YTD = 240.21 miles

• Options
    For a laugh here are some basic details

Neighbour trying to build a three storey building in a plot measuring 40 feet by 40 feet at the back of my garden.
    Used to be four attached garages and a courtyard used for storing roofing tiles by the previous owner.
    It is in the middle of a residential street (I live in a corner property).
    He is doing it himself (like Petrocelli - a TV series in mid 70's for the younger members of this group) and he is not a builder.
    It's wonky.
    The foundations of the garages have cracked.
    His Planning Permission for a live-work unit may have expired.
    What he has built is nothing like the bungalow he has permission for.
    He gets upset if anyone objects (we all have).
    He has tried 6 times and 3 appeals to the Secretary of State (all have failed)
    On Wednesday it was a hearing of his appeal against the Council's Enforcement Notice.
    We will know the result in three weeks time.

In the meantime he has made allegations against all of his neighbours that include conspiracy with Council officers and elected members, the police for asking him to keep the peace etc.

This is the sixth time I am having to respond/contest his (same) allegations in 15 years - all of which have been proven to be unfounded after investigations.

Sorry for the tittle tattle but as MrM2 (I think) once said, it's nice to know a little about each other over and above the mileage we log.

Finally,

Does anyone fancy pacing opportunities at the Richmond/Kew Gardens series of races this year? 

From 10km to marathons - let me know as our club provides/coordinates the pacers there.

• Options
    Good grief, Harmander, no wonder you've been busy. The guy sounds like a nightmare!
    Re: pacing, I need to get a better handle on my health situation before I commit to anything, but I could be available in September, possibly.

The usual today...1 mile warm-up then parkrun. It was actually a challenge to find a parkrun that was going ahead as most London ones had been cancelled, so I ended up back at Mile End. I didn't push too hard as I've the race tomorrow, so I was surprised to get my best time of the year at 27:43. Low bar, but still.

YTD: 232
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander how horrid! My neighbours are wonderful and I now appreciate them even more. 

Cal amazed you found any ParkRuns going, it looks awful in London. 

Alehouse that is quite a recommendation for a podiatrist!

DR your run made me feel better about mine, would have liked the pool and champagne.

Out at twilight to catch the best weather of the day, even then was wading through flooded paths, with ice and mud all over the roads. I know it's cold when the green lanes are frozen! The snow clouds appeared early so I cut short the 20 miler and we now have beautiful white roofs and roads. Lovely big snowflakes.  

YTD: 295.13
    EG: 3828
  • Options
    Cal, Ealing Half is end of September. Xempo organises the pacers there.
    Our neighbour is not as nice as a 'nightmare' - much worse.

Anyway well done on BTOY at Mile End.

Barking & Valentines were both cancelled - I was all dressed up and nowhere to go - so went to our club track and did 11.19 miles.

YTD = 251.40 miles
  • Options
    Well done on getting runs in during silly weather. 
    Hope you manage to sort out the iffy neighbour Harmander.
    Managed to get a nice 8 miler in today between the stormy stuff.
    269 miles YTD 
    22,480ft
  • Options
    Muddy Park run which included a detour around a huge fallen tree. It's a three lap course, so three detours! 

Ytd: 169.7
  • Options
    You could have come to Mile End, Harmander...just a hop down the District. Or Wanstead (which sounds very much like Donnie's, including the tree).
    I may well be running Ealing anyway, depending on which Autumn mara I go for. If it's Chester, then will likely skip as it's the following week. (Chester is my choice if, as I expect, I don't get into London).
  • Options
    A rather disappointing 2:05:18 at Hampton Court half...I'd have expected to start improving by now but I seem stuck in the same gear. Started off just about OK but got slower with each mile. Wind didn't help. Glad to get it over with.

YTD: 245
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Well done on another busy week-end. Glad the Half went ahead. Given the conditions and 'where you are' you shouldn't be too hard on yourself with that result.

Harmander... You have my sympathies; dealing with unreasonable neighbours can be extremely demanding, in many ways. (Until we moved, last year, we were challenged daily in our Christian ideal of 'loving our neighbour'. For almost 20 years it seemed like we were living next to a building site......I'll stop there or it will spoil my day!)

When will this wind ease off???
    Yesterday I got out for a mixed run of 11 miles. This morning I kept to 5 miles, avoiding the rain, again.
    Still playing around with breathing patterns and cadence. Seeing some lowering of heart rate, but with a trace that doesn't make too much sense I don't know how reliable it is.

YTD: 240' .