Sunday 6th March 2022 I rode my bicycle past your window last night

Morning!

Lyrics: I rode my bicycle past your window last night
I roller skated to your door at daylight

Yesterday's were 
(334) Katie Melua - Nine Million Bicycles - YouTube

What: short run, fitness suite

Why: Sunday
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning

Hmm should likely have known yesterday's lyrics.

Is it fitness suite or run weather today Ale?

Travel home well Chicksta - quite a drive I guess.

Never mind about the race Wabo, you've had a lot on your plate.

Nice varied long run Dustin.

What 17.2 mile long run
    Why: need to build the miles
    Last hard: up early as OH's badminton club hosting a round of the regional schools championships today and was running at 7:30 in -5. Was nice though and the masses still in bed it seems
    Last rest:5.3.22

Lyrics:no
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

That's a great long run in rather chilly conditions, Hazel! Nice one!

What: short run and long stretch

Why: Sunday. Legs were not happy running but fine in the fitness suite. Despite the temperature being 10 degrees it felt much cooler in quite a stiff breeze. 

Just under 42k for the week, which is fine.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Sorry been one of them weeks stiff sore left leg decided upon a few days rest 
    Ran yesterday 2 miles

What 3.3 miles or so run mixed in with some walks 
    Why being careful

Good mileage Ale 
    Hazel nice long run 
  • Sensible to rest Pammie.

Good combination Ale.  

I forgot to post my race report from last Sunday's 10k.  Bit old news but here it is.  A bit long again, sorry.

The 10k de Payerne take place in the French speaking part of Switzerland – around 45 minutes drive from here. I ditched the idea of going by public transport as it would have meant a much earlier start and a 2 hour journey each way. I like to get to the race location about an hour before the race to work out where everything is, bag a spot in the changing rooms (if available) and do a decent warm-up. I found a parking spot about 500m from race HQ and was well within my time plan.

I did my warm-up on the track near to the start/finish. A rare opportunity to run on a track for me but as usual I got bored after a couple of laps. One of the 10 I did was at faster pace but no more than that. I was pleased to note a complete lack of any niggles but not really sprightly legs.

Dumped my jacket (it was about 0 degrees so otherwise long clothing with hat and gloves) and off to the start.

The race was 2 laps of 5k – normally the course is one smaller lap and one bigger but long-term roadworks prevented that being used. Pretty flat and fortunately only a light breeze the course being pretty exposed to the standard wind directions for the area.

The approx. 900 participants in the main 10k race were split into 3 seperate races spread over several hours, the last remaining Covid measure: Other measures had been lifted a week before race day and I assume it was too short-term to reorganize the time plan. 1st block was for men under 50 mins together with ladies over 57, 2nd men under 40 mins and ladies under 50 mins and the 3rd men 40 to 50 mins and ladies 50 to 57 mins. I had put in a goal time of 45 minutes so was in the 2nd block. The race tends to attract a number of good runners being flat and early in the season. First man managed a course record of 28:20 with 2 others under 30 mins. First lady was 32:31. Don't know how that compares to the UK these days.

I put myself towards the rear of my block having taken note of a large number of fast looking young men at the front and planned a sensible start. Standing around in the shade was quite chilly so I was glad when the gun set us off.

Plans of building up speed over the 1st km went straight out of the window with a 4:08 – that is more like what I call my 5k pace. I couldn't hold that for long though and settled down into a more sensible pace mostly between 4:20 and 4:25 with a sprinkling of around 4:15s. Looking ahead I could see after 1k already that the faster end was well away. I had also spotted a former teammate slightly ahead but had to let her go (she finished 1:10 ahead which felt about right as she is always faster than me). Over the rest of the first lap I ran together with 3 other ladies swopping places back and forth. In particular with one younger lady who kept up a constant stream of encouragement for those around her. Never had that before in a race. I spoke to her briefly afterwards and she was using the race as a warm-up for a future one – I certainly couldn't have talked that much. I finished the first lap in 21:46 this year without nearly falling over the speedbump a couple of hundred metres before the end. Legs still felt ok but lungs were working pretty hard and my stomach was slightly unhappy, I had already taken note of a slight inclination towards a stitch on warming up. I was glad of each km I could tick off but perked up a bit as I started to gain on the runners ahead who were slowing a bit – I managed to pass a couple of ladies and likewise men and also dropped the other ladies I had been running with. Final k was a 4:11, again safely negotiating the speedbump. 2nd lap was a 21:42 so slightly faster than the first. Final position was 11th of 53 in my age group and 58th lady of 244 overall. Chip time was 43:28.

I did a slow 2k warm-down on the track again then shower etc.and off home again.

Finisher goody was a hunk of regional cheese (fortunately not smelly).

Training was done according to a 10 week P&L plan – multi distance up to 42 miles, I did stretch the mileage a bit on the longer runs though. Suited me well with a good mix of speedwork. Peak mileage was around 49 miles running 5 days a week.

• Excellent report and great pacing there Hazel!
    My plan was for something short or even a walk this afternoon but beautiful weather tempted me out west, sadly alone!
    9.6 miles along the west coast in sunshine and not much wind was very pleasant. A few folk out walking, a few runners going the other way, one or two muddy patches but not bad. Spring must be coming!
    Lyrics, don't think so!