Sunday 15th May 2022 Many times I've been alone

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Training
Morning!

Lyrics: Many times I've been alone
And many times I've cried

Was going to use these prior to Hazel's ultra! Taken from the middle! 

Hope you can walk today Hazel! Well done again.

What: short run later

Why: exam marker training half eight until half two. Online. I wouldn't be surprised if the technology lets me down.
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    You just beat me to it Ale - was just typing my lyrics.

Just home from work and pretty tired so I'll try to get back on later to post again. Hopefully get a run in after a sleep.

Congratulations on the ultra Hazel

Lyrics - can't think what they are yet
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Well done Hazel. You did it 👏🏼

Rest well, Chamolk.

Hope technology was on your side,  Ale.

5 miles run and 15 cycled. Beautiful day 🌞

Have a wonderful Sunday,  all
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon. 

Well done Hazel
    Chick. A bit overcast with rain here though I missed the rain
    What 10km run walk
    Why why not
    Last hard that a bit
    Lyrics no

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Ale - what a way to spend a Sunday! I suppose the saving grace is that it hasn't been gardening weather (well not here anyway!)
    What - 10mile race
    Why - Village event
    last rest - 02/04
    last hard - today I guess

Village puts on a 10m, 10k & 2m fun run (kids & adults).
    Always short of helpers so from 7-9 this morning I was lugging barriers and marking out the start / finish area with posts & tape (ale will be familiar with this!). Collected the number, quick jog home to change into race gear and jog back for the start. Was never going to be threatening 70mins so started off at steady 7.30 pace and caught up a couple of club pals aiming for 75 minutes plus one of my village group who was aiming for a sub 80 pb (she's quicker than that). 
    Ran together over the first 3-4 before club pals edged ahead. I opted to stay with my village group lady. Even pace to the long downhill at 7m, and a long drag up at 8m. Last two are a relatively flat run back into the village so upped the pace slightly and crossed the line in 76.46. A decent run out for me, a PB & age group club record for her. Rain then started and it hasn't stopped since!

lyric - not so sure. 

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Evening..

Nice racing Dustin.  Good timing you were finished before the rain.

Hope the technology cooperated Ale.  Nice parkrun yesterday.

Hope you got in a nice sleep and a run chamolk. 

Nice run/cycle Chicksta and well done on the parkrun yesterday too.

You are doing well with your distances pammie.  At least it was Sunday today when you woke up.

Ah the multi-pack knickers from M&S were always quite handy.  

How long are you in Sweden for Els - after those epic travels I hope a bit longer yet.

What: walk post-breakie and gentle mtb trundle pre-dinner this evening
    Why: recovery
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 15.05.2022

Lyrics: no
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Race report from yesterday, bit long-winded and sorry I tend to mix miles and kms a bit....

The Ultrabielersee is a 50k race - 40 k around a lake with a 10k out and back onto a pensinsular – There were 100+ participants altogether in the HM (did this last year), the main 50k event, a couple of 50k relay teams and a few XL to XXL runners doing laps of the lake– one man ran 5 laps for 200k!. A mixture of tarmac and good quality paths, mostly flat with two noticeable inclines but on the last 20k a lot of little bumps up and down a couple of metres which were not so appreciated by tired legs.

Preparation: I ran a 10k at the end of February and then had 11 weeks to train for the 50k. Having done quite a bit of speed for the 10k I switched my main focus to long runs, the longest of which was just short of 25 miles and the five longest totalling 108 – further than I have done in the past for marathon training.

After weeks of cool to comfortable temperatures an untimely blast of warmth hit Switzerland from Tuesday onwards – I had little chance of getting in sufficient acclimatization but did deliberately do my last couple of runs in the heat so as not to get a total shock.

Race day saw me up at 6am for a light breakfast and a 9am race start. Travel was just a short journey by car to the station and a few stops on the regional train and a short walk. You can also park about 50 metres from the start/finish line. I bagged a spot in the changing rooms in a nearby swimming baths which we could use and did a 1 mile warm up to get the legs ticking over.

Short briefing – follow the yellow arrows on the ground and don't miss the underpass at km 40 and we were off promptly at 9am. I had a basic plan of not starting too fast but to take advantage of the cooler temperatures during the first couple of hours to get some miles behind me. For the first 10.5 k I ran with two HM participants exchanging the odd bit of chat and backing off the effort up the noticeable incline from km 5-6.

The HM runners turn back at 10.5k and I stopped for a first drink – rather than just a couple of gulps on the move I took my time to drink a good cupful, this being the first water station and the next only at km 19 (every 5-6k afterwards). Slurped down a gel as well having nibbled on a bit of flapjack earlier and back on the move again.

Onwards following a bloke in a long sleeved top (must have been hot by the sweat spreading across his back) who I saw for quite a long time. I think he moved ahead at later water stations but I was passed by another guy who I then exchanged places with for almost the rest of the race. This stretch included a couple of not so attractive km along a cycle path right next to a busy road – I had to hold back here as it was tempting to speed up to get it over with.

The area around the next aid station was heaving with humanity – a popular regional tourist destination with a prettty town and boat cruises on the lake and campsites etc. Wearing a number on your front and a determined expression does help to move those coming towards you out of your immediate path and it was also nice toget some encouragement.

I had planned to take on another gel at this point but only managed some water, thinking that I could try again at the next stop 5k on. Out on to the pensinsular which is a bit of a drag not helped by long stretches in the sun and a noticeable camber in the road. The leading men came the other way at some point, most runners exchanging some encouragement. Many looked quite hot already. I was pleased to note that no ladies appeared which meant I was likely in first place though the peninsular ends with a short loop where it was possible to miss people. That was fortunately in the shade initially. High fived a whole line of kids.

Out into the sun again for the next aid station at around 24k and this was the point where I started to struggle with my stomach – not cramping or nausea but a constant feeling of if you try to put in any sweet stuff like gels or sports drinks I will rebel. Not so great with just half the race done. Scanning the available goodies I picked up an orange segment – that went down a treat and I stuck to eating these at each aid station onwards. The heat and the long drag got to me a bit on the way back on the peninsular and I put in a couple of short walking breaks.

Back to the 19/29k stop for more water and oranges and then on through a pleasant wooded section with less other people and into the sun around the prison – not really a tourist highlight. I was overtaken by a couple of others at this point including another lady. I didn't let this irritate me though as I had already started to go into survival mode. I was pleased how I managed this actually as it wasn't about a mental crisis but a fairly constant stream of internal consulation of what do I need to do to get to the end. The answer was to run / walk, the run pace fairly slow and the walks short. I would run as far as I could before my stomach got uncomfortable and then walk and get going again. Another lady passed at some point and I guessed I was in third place. I could see both ahead for a long time and with a bit less walking and lost time at the aid stations I might well have caught them again.

The final 10 miles were in the sun a lot but a slight headwind and my slow pace kept that bearable. I never felt really overheated. A guy I exchanged places with a few times looked in a worse state. The nearby railway line with regular stations was my safety net but I was fairly sure I would make it back. I didn't really take in my surroundings or other people much but I do remember a large group of cyclists coming the other way on a narrow stretch who had to stop so I could pass – nice of them but again likely due to the number on my front.

Last aid station was at 46k and here I nearly got into a bit of bother. I felt ok coming in but as soon as I stopped to take on water I suddenly felt pretty awful and couldn't decide if I wanted to fall over or be sick. Going into hyperventilation mode to prevent the latter probably didn't help the former and the ground was just too tempting for a sit down. The two men on the station were almost too helpful initially but I got a grip on myself again. They were determined that I should eat / drink something and after I had refused most of what was on offer they picked up a bottle of AF beer. I wasn't sure if that would stay down but a tentative sip and then half a cup was the best thing I had drunk all day and was a definite restorative. Up off the floor (with help!) and off onto the last few km including a nasty 2k stretch along a busy road back into the city and then a nice shady park and a bit of weaving around humanity around the busy boat cruise port back to the start. Over the finish line and a nice long recovery in the shade of a tree (with more AF beer) near the finish line.

Clapped in more finishers and picked up a bottle of wine later for my F40 category win. Feeling restored I then finally showered and set off back home.

Overall I am pleased with the result though I had hoped for a better time – I maybe set off a little too fast but the first half felt fine. With cooler temps and better hydration / nutrition I would likely have been faster but I couldn't do anything about the former and have learnt a bit about the latter. Of 10 finishing ladies I was 3rd and also finished ahead of quite a few of the men. Finishing time was 4:53:56.   

Strava: First ultra in warm/hot conditions | Lauf | Strava 
  • elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭
    Dustin...sounds good! 
    Lyrics yes!
    Ale indeed rubbish way to spend a Sunday!
    Short run in park here and then train to Ystadt for some Wallander exposure, interesting town though sadly the promised ice cream shop shut.
    Back to do some shifting of winter tyres and cook!
    From top of teeny hill in park...could actually see the bridge as v cleat day but doesn't come out on pic.
    Peters pics from Ystadt...I forgot my phone.
    Hazel, have just seen you're excellent report and super time for an ultra. Well done on winning age cat as well. Sounds a tough day out! Orange slices are great in an ultra...if someone provides them!
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hazel fabulous  report  and well done on the Ultra that's a brilliant  time

Els love the photos 
    Dustin great racing do love a 10 miler only raced the distance twice though 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Evening!

Great report, Hazel! And you probably learnt a lot! One thought: what kit do you train in? Club saying used to be train heavy, race light, so even on warm days the better athletes, at least, would wear lots of gear. Seems to be a good preparation for warmer days. What's next?!

Well done on the pacing, Dustin! And I am indeed familiar with setting up courses...and taking them down. And today would have been a decent day for gardening: no rain here as yet. It will arrive when I run with M77 in the morning. He has been wanting to test a new rain jacket!

Another win, Wabo! For both our teams.

Looks like a good trip, Els and OH! Hope T is mobile!

Well done Pammie! Getting there!

Glad the legs worked after yesterday, Chick! Suspect mine won't tomorrow after sitting down most of the day.

Started online work at 8:30 and finished at 2:34 with two short breaks. Then collected younger son, cooked tea, gave him a lift home and had a short run before restarting online training. Have just finished for today. Only a couple of slight internet issues but soon resolved.

What: short run

Why: see above. Brought up just over 47k for the week. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Cracking report Hazel, well done for seeing it thru after the stomach issues.
    Ale - decent mileage last week, enjoy the M77 outing
    Nice pics Els

What - easy lunchtime, either Wapping or Viccy Park
    Why - recovery mode
    last rest - 02/04
    last hard - Yesterday
    lyric - not so sure