P&D Autumn Marathon 2022

Comments

• That's good your speed is coming back, Jools, but blimey, you're certainly subjecting your body to some punishment there. You don't want to end up like Joe with some sort of crippling fatigue syndrome.

Have fun in Devon, TR. 

NE, that's a good excuse, really, though a very late run! I'm usually off to bed somewhere between 9 and 10.
    My other hobby (one I've not managed to indulge recently due to the pandemic and lack of funds) is riding rollercoasters, and I remember one particularly magical ride on a wooden coaster in Kentucky after dark with fireflies dancing around the train as it went along.

Invested in some new shoes - Nike Invincibles. A bit heavier than I'd usually go for but I'm going to use them for my easy and recovery runs, and they are certainly comfy enough for that. I did 8 miles and (sore achilles aside) felt not bad at all.
  • 12 MLR today...very humid so pretty slow but threw a few hills into the mix for variety. Still dealing with the niggles, though.
  • NE, if you hadn't said that was a glow worm, there's no way I would've known. :lol:
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:
    NE, if you hadn't said that was a glow worm, there's no way I would've known. :lol:
    Looks like a dodgy nightclub photo - reckon NE was out raving myself 😜
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Well done on the mlr cal

That was a late run NE !

Still in Devon, progressive 10m tues, 5min reps yday and 7m easy today.
  • 6 recovery today in the new shoes. Nice and fresh out there today after some horrible humidity midweek.

• Looking good Cal. Enjoy the Nikes.
    Nice work as ever TR
    Been a while since I hit the nightclub scene Jools. 

League race on Tuesday.  As flat as they come along Newport river paths... 5.2m    I think it went pretty well...  mile paces were 7:11. 7:20. 7:26  7:27  7:04 (6:20 for the last bit).  - avg pace 7:16, benefitting from having seen a club mate just about getting into range about a mile from home... and overtaking him at full pelt in the last 400 metres!  

This really was race effort all the way... and I need to be getting five milers at something like 25s per mile faster to be matching where I was when I PB'd in 2019.  But I am close to matching where I was at this time in that training block back then (ditto regarding my 16 w 9m @ HM last week).  It's got to be encouraging. 7 fairly hilly miles last night. With other commitments, I will have to work to find time to keep my run of 40+ weeks going. 
  • Well done, NE!

Went to Stevenage - yet another parkrun that has a 1.5 mile jog to and from the station (so 6 miles logged, more or less). Nice two lapper around a big lake, mostly on path but with one bit of rooty trail and a naughty uphill finish. 27:32 so not getting any quicker, alas, and HR hit the 190s by the end. 
    But I got to see the friend and her gorgeous cockerpoo pup, which was very nice.
    Also have developed a sore tooth/gum, so I guess I will have to get myself to the dentist as soon as I can. Was hoping it would heal itself, but alas, no.
  • Got out just after 6 for my 18 miler, and did my hilly route going out to Sydenham, Crystal Palace and back via Streatham. While the hills were tough, I felt better than I did for my flat 17 last week, though I put that down to the weather. It was getting warm but still relatively fresh, compared to last week when it was very warm, cloudy and incredibly humid.
    The nice thing with this route is it's downhill towards the end so I pushed the pace a little back to 10:30s for three miles and then 10 for the last mile. The usual niggles showed up later than last week, too, so while they're still there, they don't seem as bad.
    That also concludes my first 50 mile week in a very long while (most I hit before Manchester was 47, and that was in January!)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    NE - good man, onwards and upwards.

Cal - excellent, parkrun, 18m and 50m week, thats got to be progress too.

Harting trail 10m race, up on south downs way, was brutally hard as ever and a bit of a scorcher with a late start.
    Worked out who i needed to beat in the first couple of miles and then picked  my way through a few places. M50 trophy and £15 for the AG win. Always reminds me that its such a hard race, bit like a marathon. 66.4X compared to 65.3X last time out in 2019, difficult to compare though as its not a race for time, and it was scorchio, 2m wu and 2m wd, so 14m for the day. IoW 1/2 in 2 wks will give a better result for comparison with previous years.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Good racing there NE. Consistent training paying you back already: keep it up.
    Cal: As TR said: plenty of positives this week.
    TR: Over a minute quicker than your junior self on a scorcher of a day has got to be celebrated as a win. The £15 MV50 prize is the icing on the 🧁 
    Busy weekend of racing for me too. Been a while since I’ve had one this action packed. The week went:
    Tue: rest
    Wed: 6.5M Fartlek 5x4’LT off 2’ easy. Every effort was mostly uphill so they were closer to Vo2max efforts for LT pace.
    Thu: 14.4M multi-terrain LSR
    Friday: Mynyddislwyn Murder Mile a brutal 1 mile relentless hill climb with 680’ of elevation. I ran the whole thing finishing 20th & 1st MV50+ in 10:38 Video of the race at about 0.75M https://youtu.be/FQVZFVNsB6o?t=39 I appear about 2 minutes after the leader.
    Saturday:
    am: Llanishen Park parkrun#8 This is Cardiff’s latest addition & it’s a good one. 3.8 laps on solid paths. Bit crowded by lap 4 as I was lapping folk who were also lapping other slower runners. I was pleased with 19:45 - a slight improvement on last week. 
    pm: Llanthony Show Fell Race. 3.95M & 1100’ of climb. Ran strongly & then power walked past a few folk on the steepest/rockiest parts. Got to the top & flew down along the ridge then maintained my speed on the steep, narrow, rock strewn path back to the fields. Lost one place after 5K as the path flattened & even climbed slightly. Finished 13th over the line but top 6 had cut 6-700m off so should’ve been DQd (no results out yet) so I’m claiming 7th

Cruising past a keen starter after about half a mile.

Flying back through the fields.
    Sunday: 13.8 ‘flat’ miles at 7:55 pace on the road from Ross. 
    Flat = 591’ of climbing 😆

• Excellent, TR! Anything on South Downs is going to be tough, really. Well done on the AG win!
    You look to be having fun there, Jools. I don't know how you can fly down rocky trails - I always slow to an almost walk to avoid tripping and hurting myself. Let's face it, I'm bad enough coming downhill on pavement -my descents were pitiful today.  :D
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Better pics than my glowworm Jools. Ace racing. I’d like to see what that HRM was reading if you wore it in that Murder Mile. If it had been me, I think it would have reading zero by the end!
    Super racing from you too TR. You must have quite a ccollection of AG prizes from recent years. 
    And a super 50m week for you Cal. You beat me to that milestone.  
    I succumbed to packing pressure yesterday and didn’t get out at all - so low twenties for me. Let’s call it a useful cut-back week. Don’t know what I’ll be able to do this week… but whatever I do, it will be run on the coastal path of the Llyn Peninsula- so it will be beautiful.  
  • Well have fun, NE...enjoy those views eh?

I decided to get the speed work done today before the Sun goes nuclear (since I don't like to carry water on faster runs) so headed down to Links Road in Tooting to run the "ladder". Links is a long road that runs parallel to another road, Seely Road, and they have a bunch of alphabetical roads between them (starting with Ascot and ending with Jersey). The idea was to go fast on the alphabet roads, recovering a little at the Links/Seely ends, from Ascot to Jersey and back again. Then tempoish the full length of Links, slower at the end then tempoish back down Seely.
    So, after three warm-up miles, I did exactly that, then a recovery mile (including an uphill), a normal easy mile and then pushed a little (steady pace) on the last mile as I kind of got into a bit of a race with a bloke on Tooting Common. I'd almost catch up to him and then he'd take a short cut, then I'd catch up to him again and so forth until I eventually went past him. He was on my arse after that as he obviously didn't like being overtaken but I stayed ahead until I turned for home. Ha.
    Anyway, fairly happy with that run - even bagged a Strava crown for the Links ladder but when I looked at it, only three people have run it. :lol:

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    More top adventures jools

Enjoy yourself NE

Cal - nice one, no mention of any niggles either.

10 commute home yday, 10 + 5 double today.
  • Oh there are niggles...just boring if I talk about them all the time.  :D
  • Recovery 7 yesterday and 13 today (well, a half. Be rude not to do the extra bit). Decided to see how the Invincibles felt over a longer distance. Not sure if it was fatigue or the shoes (I've not slept much the last few nights) but my legs seemed oddly reluctant to move, like I had to keep telling myself to keep going. Scuffed my feet a couple of times (Invincibles are a little heavier and have more sole than the Epics) and found myself being super cautious on any uneven sections as well as downhills and crossing roads. Weird run. But still, it's done.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 13m cal, you do seem to be making a bit of progress.

I had a day off today, so did 20m as i hadnt done a long run for a few weeks, was pretty tough as it was 29 degrees by the finish at 10.45.
  • Yeah, can't say I'm looking forward to my long run, TR. 
    I did Jersey Farm parkrun today (for my "J") - slightly undulating grass/trail course so not fast. Paced conservatively and ended up passing a lot of people who had gone off too fast for the heat. Ran 29:05 which is OK under the circumstances...at least my splits were nice and even.
  • I had 20 miles pencilled in for this morning, though I had a pretty lousy night's sleep (too hot, too many aches and pains). Made the most of my restlessness by getting out at 5:15am. I did almost the same run as the 17 miler two weeks ago (head down to Battersea, across Chelsea Bridge, down all three miles of the King's Road to Fulham before doubling back via Chelsea Docks, back over Wandsworth Bridge, up the the other side of the river to Wandsworth then though King George's Park and along the Wandle) although I did a bit more Wandle and came back via Tooting. Unfortunately , I started getting some low gut pain which reached critical mass around 15 miles in...it was then a choice of head home, cutting the run short and hoping I make it, or find a bush. I was on the Wandle at this point so went with the bush option. Just as well I run early when there's not too many peeps around. 😳 
    That aside, run was about as tough as you'd expect in this weather, but I managed the 20 miles. Unfortunately I lack a functioning bladder...my pack does, that is... (Decathlon have no stock of the size I need for my pack) so have been using the soft flasks, and they weren't quite adequate for a 20 miler in this heat. Lost around 4-5lbs on that run so will spend the rest of the day rehydrating. I think I may go and buy some crisps to replace the salt. 😆
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one cal, where is jersey farm ? Top work on the 20, you have defo made some progress lately. Top week that with a 13 and a 20. Id be having a few cold lagers with those crisps.

10m yday, 10m today plenty of warm weather acclimatisation going on. Didnt get out till 11am today, but next weeks IoW 1/2 doesnt start til 11.30, and it might be warm then too.
  • Jersey Farm is near St Albans (though less near than the actual St Albans parkrun).
    I actually don't like beer. I've got a can in the fridge that came in a goody bag - it's been there a long time. I could get some lemonade and make a shandy with it, I guess...don't mind that. 
    Well done on the 10...that would've been roasting at 11 though I guess it's good practise for IoW. Hopefully it will be just warm rather than full on blasting it by then.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Quite a trek then for you. Good idea on the shandy, have it after your next race.
  • It's actually not easy to find lemonade these days, though. There's 7-Up and Sprite but that's not the same. We used to use R White's back in the day but I guess that no longer exists. It was awful stuff on its own but it made a good shandy.
    6 recovery today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - you can buy lemonade but would need to buy a bigger bottle.

10m yday which was tired, so i wibbled about doing my session today as i needed a double for logistics, but got going ok after a few creaky reps, so 10m (inc 14x3min) and 7m for the day, good mara prep.

• Yeah I guess...I don't really fancy a shandy enough to buy a litre bottle. Not keen on lemonade as is.

Like you I felt tired before I'd even started today...unlike you I did not get going and canned the run at two miles. Legs wouldn't turn over. Had a big week last week off not a lot of sleep, thanks to the heat, so unsurprising if the old bod needs a bit of rest.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good idea cal, youve had some bigger weeks, so not surprised.

Only the minimal 5m commute back in today. My back/hip has been grumbly recently, probably all the hills and trail races, and yday it was radiating down my leg causing weakness and making the quad weak by my knee. So similar to SJ, need to get on the spiky ball and exercises. Im off work for a week now so i can choose to run on the flat too which will help, altgough i cant avoid hills sunday at IoW. Some of those runs in Devon were straight up a ridiculous climb from the front door, which wasnt ideal from cold.
  • I have something similar...it was giving me attitude today which made my right glute hurt right down at the bottom. That an my achilles was being a twat.
    Legs are still very sluggish - I could only manage an average of 12 minute miles on my 12 miler this morning (should have been 14 miles but decided 12 would have to be enough given the sluggishness and my niggly bits...not to mention it was very humid). Not the nicest run but miles in the bank, I guess.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    12 is good going Cal, youre going better now. Are you doing Chester?

My body is out of whack on the left side, the weak left quad is now a stuck neck, shoulder, upper back, hip etc where its difficult to look to the left. Spiky ball and stretches being applied.

10m yday, standard sunday race 5m today inc a few strides, hops and skips trying to get firing.