Psychological speed bump?

Hey all

Hope everyone is well.

I started running a few months back to try and improve cardio fitness, and discovered a new passion because I can’t believe how much I enjoy it. It genuinely makes me want to go to the gym.

A little bit of history.. I have asthma and had lung and heart problems at birth, and used to be a smoker and currently vape (although gradually weaning off at the moment!). I don’t like running outdoors, I find the outdoor air triggers my asthma and I’m working with my doctor to trial some alterations to my medications to improve this. Running indoors on the treadmill I feel relatively successful with, but after about 7/8 minutes at 7/8/9 KM/H, I feel like my chest (presumably lungs) is aching and feel like I need a break. At the moment I tend to do intervals of running at 9 km/h for 7 mins and walk at 4kmh for 3 mins, generally about three reps of that 3 or 4 times a week. I was hoping to start seeing improvement and I’m not, so I’m convinced it’s either a result of my asthma, or it’s just a psychological barrier I need to break through.

The reason I’m posting is to ask the opinion of others - is this common? Is it a psychological barrier? If not, of course I’ll just continue to work with my doctor to figure out improvements to my asthma medicine, I just wanted to ensure it’s not a ‘normal’ thing and it’s all in my brain before I pester them with it further.

Thank you all in advance!

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi Jake,

What improvement are you looking for? To run longer? Extend the 7 minute running slices to 8, 9, 10 etc at the same pace? And you've been stuck at 7 for several months, unable to extend due to this aching sensation setting in each time you attempt an 8?

I'd say you do need to explain that to a doctor. Usually you would expect to extend that relatively easily without any discomfort. In your sessions you seem to be running about 1km with a bit of a walking break doing that 3 times at a nice steady pace. So you aren't putting yourself under a great deal of stress. If you look up a typical couch to 5k programme you will be able to see how a running beginner would expect to progress beyond the point of your limitation.

I've not had anyone describe your symptoms before, psychological or otherwise.
  • Thanks Lowrez, appreciate it! I thought it’d be the asthma etc that was the problem but just wanted to be certain it wasn’t just mind over matter or something to avoid upping dosage unnecessarily. Thanks again
  • Have you tried running outside to compare? Cleaner air could help?