Why Do I Feel Like I've Got PMT?

It's the week AFTER the dreaded TOTM, so I should be OK but I feel PMT'd to the eyeballs. I suffered badly with PMT last week and it just doesn't seem to have gone away.

I know I am tired and a little stressed but it doesn't really account for the fact that I'm alternating between bursting into tears and tearing people's heads off. For years I got away scott free of PMT. I guess all those years may be catching up with me now!

I'm doing the marathon on Sunday and could do with being a bit calmer. But it's going to be a busy old week. Any advice?

Is this a common problem, or am I just a moody cow?

Comments

• Stress I reckon.

Quick - book some annual leave, and do something you LOVE. Go shopping for a new kit. Drink coffee in the sunshine. Have an afternoon nap with your window open.

That should do the trick.

Oh yes, and CHOCOLATE!!
  • Sue this often happens to me. I can sail through some months symptom free and then others i get tearful and irritable a week before and after as well. I just thought it was me.

Afraid i can't offer any other support, still haven't managed to pin point why or how to curb it, let me know if you do.
  • Evening primrose oil?

a lot of people swear by it all month round.

I used to take starflower oil - like evening primrose but stronger.

Now i just resort to having temper tantrums ;o)
  • Christ... I'm glad I'm a boy...!

:)
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Pre Marathon Trauma, silly!
  • Floosie,

I have exactly the problem you have posted. How are you feeling this week? I ask because I'm not good.

Has having done the Marathon (which must be a stress in the taper period)helped?
  • keswick

Was feeling pretty grotty on Monday but picked up a bit on Tuesday. Feel OK now (which may be because today has been the first time i can walk properly!).

Am trying hard to ensure that I don't get my usual post-race slump though.

How are you feeling? Have you tried Evening Primrose or Starflower? Neither seem to do much for me (sorry Puff). Have had vitamin B6 recommended too.
  • No, I haven't tried any but have had them recommended by friends. I visited the doc which has helped. He has taken me off a medication linked to my cycle which is known to cause mood swings and put me down for some anxiety management too.

• glad to hear i'm not the only one.

i felt exactly the same way. both the week before the FLM and now this week. it felt like PMT x 100 - except it couldn't be as the timing is wrong.

had moments when i totally over-reacted to situations and felt intense rage about things i'd otherwise laugh off.

i put it down to pre and post marathon stress. the first one being mental and the second one physical.

keswick what is anxiety management - seem to be hearing a lot about that recently?
  • funny i had exactly the same thing this week ..tail end of period and felt really emotional in a way i couldnt really explain

pmt is getting worse generally so i suspect hormones are very out of sync

• anxiety management and stress management are methods of managing responses to stress triggers

often use relaxation and breathing exercises plus some cognitive responses

very simple example would be to get up and go for a walk if someone winds you up at work etc - rather than let it brew physically and psychologically and then become tense and have a bad reaction about it
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    or joke about it with some work colleages as i did yesterday. They joked about keeping sharp instruments away from me.
  • Or could it be POST marathon trauma?

You could be a little stressedorfighting infection. Either way, there's no curelike choccie.