Options

How often/far should a 15 year old run? + Goals

I'm a 15 year old male and I started running last year. I'm now able to run a 5K in just above 20 minutes, and a 10K in around 45 minutes. So far I've been doing roughly 3-4 runs a week of mixed 5K and 10K (approximately) distances.

I'm looking to increase the distance I'm running and potentially gradually build up to a half marathon - although I'm not entirely sure what I should be aiming toward, and whether this is a reasonable target or not.

If anyone has any recommendations about how often/far I should be running each week, and any other training tips, that would be much appreciated. Thank you, and happy new year!

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I can't help re the training, you seem to be doing well.    Maybe join a local club that has others of your age to train with.

I do know that you have to be 17 to take part in a half marathon race in the UK.   You're old enough to run a 10k race so you could make that your next target.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Definitely talk to a club: at Under 17 you'll be racing not much further than 5k-10k in XC and largely up to 3k on track.
    A coach will better steer you on a suitable path - why the desire to run a half marathon? I'd suggest you'd be better off improving your 1500-5k times in the first instance, building strength before you accumulate distance. At U17 / U20 level you could probably get down to 17-18 minutes for 5k (or faster) if speed is the motivation.
    If it's distance , I still think a year or two of building up , with guidance, would leave you in a better place.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm very much of the same view as Shades and Dustin, both of whom have coaching experience, as I do! I would go further and concentrate on any distances up to 1500 metres, 3000 at most. 

Seek out a club and let us know how you get on! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.