Target HM pace

Hi all

In effort to loose some weight I have rediscovered my love of running once more. I have been running 5 miles once a week (at close to full effort) once a week. I have signed up for a HM in 2 weeks. My current average pace is 9:36 for these 5 miles. However I have not run any further than this. What target pace would people recommend for the HM? For the record I have experience of running longer distances of 2 x HM's and 1 x marathon although this was 10 years ago : )

Many thanks

Answers

• MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    If you are only doing 5 miles once a week @ 9:36 full effort do you think you will be able to run 13.1 miles?
    I would imagine you will be doing quite a bit of walking.
    Probably a bit late now but run slower and further.
  • > @MrC said:
    > If you are only doing 5 miles once a week @ 9:36 full effort do you think you will be able to run 13.1 miles?
    > I would imagine you will be doing quite a bit of walking.
    > Probably a bit late now but run slower and further.

Not a very helpful reply MrC I can guarantee I won't be doing any walking. Like I stated in previous post I have experience of running a marathon and some halfs I didn't stop then and I don't intend on stopping on this one. You input provided absolutely no helpfulness other than I presume to stroke your own runners snobiness
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Dave, I don't think MrC meant any offence - any half marathon plan will have you doing at least 10 miles before the race, and most will go up to 13. I'd advise not running it the same pace you do your 5 mile runs or the wheels will fall off pretty quickly. It's good you've rekindled your love of running so I hope the race doesn't prove to be a painful experience.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dave... I'm with Cal on this one.
    A bit harsh on MrC; most people who respond on these forums are out to help other runners, and to encourage...that's what runners do, from my experience.
    It's good that you've got the experience of running up to full marathon distance. However, ten years on and with weight to lose, you may need to do things differently. 
    I don't think anyone would recognise '5 miles, once per week', as a training plan for a half marathon.

If your event is in just two weeks time there is very little that you can do that will help you on the day.
    Probably a few, easy, short runs, just to keep things moving smoothly. Then, on event day I'd start off at an easy pace...say 10:30/mile for at least 6 or 7 miles, then adjust according to how you feel.
    Your priority now is to arrive at the start line feeling fully refreshed and injury-free. Then enjoy!

Please let us know how you get on. All the best!
  • > @MrM2 said:
    > Dave... I'm with Cal on this one.
    > A bit harsh on MrC; most people who respond on these forums are out to help other runners, and to encourage...that's what runners do, from my experience.
    > It's good that you've got the experience of running up to full marathon distance. However, ten years on and with weight to lose, you may need to do things differently. 
    > I don't think anyone would recognise '5 miles, once per week', as a training plan for a half marathon.
    >
    > If your event is in just two weeks time there is very little that you can do that will help you on the day.
    > Probably a few, easy, short runs, just to keep things moving smoothly. Then, on event day I'd start off at an easy pace...say 10:30/mile for at least 6 or 7 miles, then adjust according to how you feel.
    > Your priority now is to arrive at the start line feeling fully refreshed and injury-free. Then enjoy!
    >
    > Please let us know how you get on. All the best!

Thanks for your advice. I intend to start off atleast 45 seconds slower than my current pace. I also train to heart rate so as a gauge I will also try to not exceed the midrange of my lactate threshold rate. If feeling ok 4 to 5 miles out I may up the pace.

Thanks again. I will post how I get on
  • Just to reply for those that are interested and possibly help others with similar training. I completed HM today and was very pleased with result. Managed to complete without stopping at 2hrs 16mins this was around 1 minute slower than max 5 mile pace I had previously achieved. Kept this pace consistent and relieved didn't set off any quicker as legs did really feel it last 2 miles so may not have made it. I also stayed very close to target heart rate which is middle of my lactate threshold pace. Really enjoyed the day and about to register for next one in October :smiley:
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, Dave. If you can get a proper training block under your belt for the next one, you could get under 2 hours, or at least close to it.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dave...Congrats on that disciplined Half!
    Do you plan to go longer or faster?...or just stay the same?

Agree that 2Hrs. would be a good target...but would need a bit more time each week.
    Thanks for getting back to us with that great result!