Options

Failed Marathon - What next?

Hi all.

Just ran the Belfast marathon, which was my second. My training was good (for my standards) and was ready for a PB of less than 4 hours. Did a 01:45 half about a month ago. I have been dealing with a foot injury during taper but felt good just before race day.

Marathon didn't go well. Started fine but struggled after approx. 30 km. Ended up finishing at 4:30 having walked about 10km.

I believe the reason was my in-race fueling. Read somewhere that high carb intake is required and starting eating gels after 20 minutes. After the 4th gel at 01:20, I was heavy and starting slowing down. After a while, started experiencing pain at (I believe) my kidneys and really struggled to a point that I could not run. Finished the race but the pain persisted for the rest of the day, hurting almost in every breath and more so when laughing, taking deep breaths etc.

Rookie mistake and I should know better but now don't want to waste my training so thinking of adding another marathon in the next month.

Is this too soon? Any training strategy recommendations? Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Ilias

Comments

• Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Hi ilias252 I have never run a marathon but sounds to me like the classic hitting the wall around 30km, if you had taken 4 gels by 1.20 that seems a lot and maybe your body didn’t agree with so many.
    Kidney pain?……. maybe you were dehydrated.

Finishing in 4.30 is nothing to be scoffed at so you should be proud of your effort and there will be other marathons if breaking the 4.00 barrier is your aim. Just look at it as a learning process.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ilias - well done, you finished your marathon after having a difficult run and that unexplained pain.   I've never had kidney pain so not sure where/how that happens, I've never heard of it.

Marathons are unpredictable beasts and a good race depends on a lot, including you being in top form health wise on the day and you obviously weren't as you had that pain.   So it definitely wasn't a failure.   

Re fuelling the recommended amount of carbs is 30-60 grams per hour, depending on the carbs in your gels 4 in 80 minutes seems quite a lot.  Many runners can't take as much as 60 grams per hour, I struggle with 30 grams.   But as well as the carbs you should have some electrolytes too, check your gels, many are just sugar and don't have electrolytes.   Many find a gel with caffeine helpful in the latter stages as the caffeine gives a boost.  

If you feel ready to run another marathon then go ahead.  I don't know what your marathon PB is and I know your target is sub 4 but maybe aim for a softer target this time, a smaller PB perhaps.
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    A completed marathon is never a failure, so well done! Don’t beat yourself up about it. At least you stuck it out and didn’t give up.

Not all gels are equal, but my strategy is to have some dried apricots at 10km, a gel at 20km and a gel at 30km. It seems like you have had way too many gels.

I won’t comment on the kidney pain as I’m not a doctor. Maybe you should go speak to one - it may have just been stomach pain from too many gels.
  • Options
    > @ilias252 said:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Just ran the Belfast marathon, which was my second. My training was good (for my standards) and was ready for a PB of less than 4 hours. Did a 01:45 half about a month ago. I have been dealing with a foot injury during taper but felt good just before race day.
    >
    > Marathon didn't go well. Started fine but struggled after approx. 30 km. Ended up finishing at 4:30 having walked about 10km.
    >
    > I believe the reason was my in-race fueling. Read somewhere that high carb intake is required and starting eating gels after 20 minutes. After the 4th gel at 01:20, I was heavy and starting slowing down. After a while, started experiencing pain at (I believe) my kidneys and really struggled to a point that I could not run. Finished the race but the pain persisted for the rest of the day, hurting almost in every breath and more so when laughing, taking deep breaths etc.
    >
    > Rookie mistake and I should know better but now don't want to waste my training so thinking of adding another marathon in the next month.
    >
    > Is this too soon? Any training strategy recommendations? Any thoughts would be appreciated?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilias
  • Options
    There are so many things that can go right and wrong when you are aiming for a fast(er) time. Its never down down to one thing. You need to step back and look at the bigger picture and review work-life-running balance and make real changes. You will soon be thinking about Sub-3 and Sub-4 will b a thing of the past