Parkrun Manchester

I'm visiting Manchester soon and would like to do a parkrun while I'm there. Not sure where I'm staying but probably city centre. Can anyone advise me which one to do which is easy to get to on tram or bus. Many thanks

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    South Manchester at Platt Fields is probably the easiest to get to by bus. Lots of bus routes: 41, 42, 142, 42a, 42b, 42c, 43 etc! About 3 miles south of the city centre. It is flat and fast! 

If you are staying in another area away from the city centre let me know and I will suggest an alternative: there are plenty!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Maire KellyMaire Kelly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, once I figure out where I'm staying ill get back to you! Appreciate your reply!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm a regular visitor to Manchester as my bestie lives there - sometimes I can persuade him to drive me somewhere but I've done a few on the tram, too.

Heaton Park - Manchester's most popular parkrun. It's a lovely big park, very scenic, though undulating. There's stuff to do after if you fancy it like the animal centre and the tram museum. Has its own tram stop on the yellow and green lines towards Bury.
    Sale Water Park - Also scenic though the surface is not the easiest to run on - it's stony/pebbly stuff with the odd hunk of broken brick, so watch your ankles. Has its own tram stop on the blue line towards Manchester Airport.
    Philips Park - Manchester's newest parkrun. Nice park but I don't think this one had a cafe or toilets when I went in April - there are some at the nearby supermarket. Also on the hilly side with one steep climb. Velopark tram stop on the light blue line towards Ashton-under-Lyme.
    Stretford - I didn't use the tram to get here but it's a short walk from the tram. Fast, flat course though it can get congested. Starts on an athletics track. Stretford tram stop on the green and purple lines towards Altrincham.
    Burnage - Mostly trail, with a flight of steps that has to be done twice, but rather fun and should be nice and dry in summer. East Didsbury tram stop at the end of the black and pink lines.
    Fletcher Moss - Good quality trail, a few inclines/declines but not hilly. Very nice park if you want to explore afterwards. Same tram stop as Burnage but it's about a mile away.
    Wythenshawe - I haven't done this one yet but it is on the tram, out towards the airport.

Others I've done: South Manchester - fast and flat, nice park - I ran here from my friend's flat as it's two miles away but alehouse has you covered on the buses.
    Alexandra - fast, flat tarmac course. Has a cafe. Again, this is a mile from my friend's so I can't advise on transport but alehouse might be able to help.
    Peel - got a lift to this one - it's a lovely park by the river. Probably a bus.
    Worsley Woods - much further out. A run of two parts - fast, flat out and back section with a twisty, undulating wooded section in the middle. Got a lift here so not sure on transport.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That's a decent summary, Cal! I'm sure that Maire will find it useful!

Wythenshawe is a mixture of surfaces and much better when dry rather than after a damp spell!

For Fletcher Moss I would get off the tram at Didsbury Village. Plenty of bus options, also. 

A lot depends whether you are looking for a fast course on somewhere near where you are staying, Maire.
    South Manchester, Alex, Peel, Stretford are all amongst the top 20 or so in the country. The others are around a minute or so slower at around 25 minute pace.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hi guys, so I am recruiting for my research regarding running and mental health for my master's project and would be extremely grateful if you could spare 5/10 mins to complete my survey and share it with other runners you know.
    Thank you

https://bathreg.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/the-influence-of-running-on-adult-mental-wellbeing-explor-7?fbclid=IwAR3GC1BLKt7Hooz9DzqAKbG2MOcIKV4qBMtiOuNOxyxV6qrGr3aSr-Wxat0