AN UPDATE FROM RUNNER’S WORLD

From 15 June 2024, the Runner’s World forum will hang up its running shoes for the final time.

While we are saying goodbye to the forum, you can continue to enjoy Runner’s World through our various platforms, each offering a different way to stay connected:

Sign up to the RW newsletter: Read about the latest running trends, gear reviews, expert advice and inspirational stories, delivered straight to your inbox. 

Visit runnersworld.com/uk: With everything from long reads and training articles to plans and nutrition tips, the content you trust is just a click away. 

Become a subscriber: Get the print magazine for the best in-depth features, expert advice, stunning photography and exclusive content tailored for every level of runner.

Follow us on social media: Follow @RunnersWorldUK on X, Facebook and Instagram for your daily dose of advice, motivation and fun. Keep on running…

The Runner's World team

Options

Friday 5 January 2024 Falling on my head like a memory

Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion

Lines 2 and 3
Hope it's seasonal enough or have we changed the subject 

What. 3.33 miles run walk
Why I'm awake and won't ring later 
Last hard 2023

Comments

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Went to bed early  as tired before 6pm woke around 3am wide awake still dark at 6 was waiting  till it got light but got out in the end. Wasn't bad 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Well done on getting out so early, Pammie.

Lyrics: yes...and currently does seem to be seasonal.

Yesterday's were January, Pilot.

What: probably around 30 minutes

Why: day 900, I believe 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Still not light here properly Pammie.
    Lyrics...maybe.
    Not sure what as legs are v tired but hopefully something. Still windy too.
    Hazel, come back we're missing you!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Lyrics yes! 
    I've just spotted that hazel did a walk yesterday I think. 
    Els hope you get it and it's not too windy, I don't like running in the wind
    Wow alehouse day 900!! Brilliant
    What 4 
    Why make up shortfall of yesterday's soaking wet run
    Last hard last night, should have run in the morning
    Last rest 28 12 22 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    7 mile slow slog! I wish I could get faster at the minute but hey, wind has dropped quite a bit though not completely and only light showers!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Your speed will come from consistent steady running, Els! I always think of LMH in that regard!

What: 4k, mixed terrain. Didn't feel like day 900; felt like I'd never run before!

Why: enough today...and I learned that I won't be doing one parkrun that Els and OH are familiar with; too many stretches of water for me! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Not sure Ale, after at least a year of not using garmin connect I've been looking at stats for last 2 weeks, despite being unable to go faster than 12mm most of the time HR is over 200 consistently, a bit perplexed!
    Re parkrun it might be parkswim Ale! Think ours will be fine tomorrow although I'm marshalling! 
    And having stayed mostly dry running soaked completely going to work to sign off clinic letters! Wish I could do them from home sometimes!
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone 👋🏼 and Happy New Year 🍀

I just cleaned up my email and discovered a message from ale in my spam folder, so thanks for reaching out 😊

I've turned into a plodder but I do plod every day without a particular agenda and I'm quite happy that way 😊

My runs are between 5 and 8 miles and I believe winter running might help boost the immune system. And it prevents me building up too much excess timber 😉

Hope everyone is ok 🙏🏼

Els, 200 seems super high. My HR had never gone above 188 when I was still chasing PBs (10 years ago).

Is yours a wrist strap? Those are notorious for giving unreliable readings. My Garmin frequently picks up cadence rather than HR when I don't use the chest strap 😉
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Managed about 3100k of running last year which is quite a bit more than I expected 😊
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Brilliant to see you, Chick! Another daily plodder here! A very decent km total last year. Wabo and I are aiming for 2024 this year. Kms, but I'm sure that you could manage miles.
    And I was going to say pretty well the same re Els and Garmin. I would say 160-170 is likely to be the max. 

And stick around! You have certainly been missed!
  • Options
    Chick, great to hear from you...you've been missed! Stick around if you can!!
    Plodding is under rated.
    Yes I have got a wrist HRM but can't imagine my cadence is that high and I just have a feeling something isn't right...can't get any pace up, I mean I expect to get slower with age but seems to have suddenly got worse and feel a bit lightheaded when get up suddenly too. If I get any slower might as well be walking!
    Think am parkrun marshalling tomorrow but there seems to be some confusion!
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Hi chick! Nice to see you. Happy new year!

Rest day for me today if you can call a trip to the snow dome and out to lunch with 5 under 6s a rest... Am completely cream crackered.

Parkrun planned tomorrow. It'll definitely be a plod!

Els I'm impressed you're getting out with your weather!

Pammie that's early but good to get out. I do know the lyrics.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    Evening all
    Chick lovely to see you
    Els my general running pace is always closer to 12mm lately but my heart rate is rarely over 135 AVE, I can't get faster unless I'm racing.
    Park run in the morning, we're both heading to Harlow to try a different one. Let you know how it goes
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can