AN UPDATE FROM RUNNER’S WORLD

From 15 June 2024, the Runner’s World forum will hang up its running shoes for the final time.

While we are saying goodbye to the forum, you can continue to enjoy Runner’s World through our various platforms, each offering a different way to stay connected:

Sign up to the RW newsletter: Read about the latest running trends, gear reviews, expert advice and inspirational stories, delivered straight to your inbox. 

Visit runnersworld.com/uk: With everything from long reads and training articles to plans and nutrition tips, the content you trust is just a click away. 

Become a subscriber: Get the print magazine for the best in-depth features, expert advice, stunning photography and exclusive content tailored for every level of runner.

Follow us on social media: Follow @RunnersWorldUK on X, Facebook and Instagram for your daily dose of advice, motivation and fun. Keep on running…

The Runner's World team

Options

Tuesday 9th January 2024 Come hold me tight

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
edited January 9 in Training
Morning!

Lyrics: Come hold me tight
Kiss me my darling
Be mine tonight

Line two onwards 

Yesterday's were David Bowie with Sorrow. Didn't realise that it was a cover, Chamolk! Chosen as it was the day that he was born. Today's singer shares the same birthday and nearly chose him yesterday.

What: will see how the legs feel later

Why: run to feel. Have an architect coming first about a possible new extension.

I didn't start a 2024 in 2024 thread this year, Chamolk! So few people joined in last year!
I (and others) are doing the 1000 miles in 2024 thread over on the "General" forum (as a starter for my 2024 km. 1000 miles being approximately 1600 km). Also on Fetcheveryone.com some of us are doing 100 miles per month. I reckon if we hit that and a little bit more we will get to 2024, with 1200 miles being 1931km. 

100 miles a month in 2024 - Page 22 - Fetcheveryone.com

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Ale - oooh new extension? Tell us more...
    Pammie/Wabo - ohh April lfotm <note to check calendar>
    Chamolk - still a decent effort thru December and 3 in 22 is a decent run
    Wabo - congratulations on #5!
    Chick - decent outing regadless!

What - club session 6 miles with 10x100, may do half hour easy at lunchtime to escape the screen (or just walk instead)
    Why - training session
    last rest - 21/09
    last hard - Weekend
    lyric - not so sure again
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    dustin this one is number 5 for my son and his wife, crazy kids they are!! Be great of you do lfotm, I will be doing Feb as well I hope - enjoy the club session
    ale, have a good run later
    what: mob match this evening at the Manor
    why: I thought I couldnt then found I could!! 
    last hard: last night
    last rest: 28/12/22
    Have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    oh, lyrics yep
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Exciting news about baby #5, wabo :) enjoy the mob match

Pammie: How annoying that your colleague hijacked all those Fridays :( Fingers crossed for April and beyond.

I'm not having much luck with lyrics at the moment. Are we on a new theme or are they entirely random?

Another 5 done - the ice is evaporating a bit. The air is super dry and very cold. Minus 9 this morning. So, I donned my trail shoes instead of the Yaktrax - there are still lots of icy patches and I'm glad I managed to stay upright.

I need to be in the office tomorrow and I'm looking forward to a treadmill run. At least I won't have to be concerned about slipping. 

• Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Hope all are ok and arrived well in 2024.  All the best for the new year with some great runs!  I must read back to see what everyone is up to.

As you might be able to guess by my silence my NY marathon was a disaster, I made it to just over half way and gave up.  A physical and mental thing.   Pretty shit start to 2024 after a shit 2023.

I haven't run a step since and will continue to take a break from running until at least after I have moved house and sorted all that that immediately involves.  Don't think I have paused for that long since a minor calf pull in 2018 which put me out for a week.

Weather isn't exactly great for running either - we currently have snow / ice and sub zero temps.  Maybe not as wet as the UK though?
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    Afternoon!

And great to see you, Hazel, and I'm sure we all understand where you are coming from! Glad that you have posted!

Chick, in theory the theme is "seasonal" which has included winter, Christmas, New Year, January, January birthdays! All are more than welcome to set them!

Dustin, extension: at long last getting round to getting a downstairs toilet and wet room, plus enlarging the main bathroom upstairs. I'm getting old and at some point will need a downstairs facility!

What: was bitterly cold (feels like -7) this morning so waited until the wind dropped although not sure it did by much. 68 minutes run, and had to divert a few times for lakes, ice and icy lakes.

Why: this week's long run

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Good to see you, Hazel! Sometimes a longer break is all you need. For what it's worth: we moved house mid November 2011 and I didn't start running again until Christmas. I was just too exhausted. I also opted out of any racing until the autumn of 2012 and built back very slowly.

Start again when you feel like it and just do what is enjoyable. 

Will try and think of some lyrics, Ale.
  • Options
    Hazel, great to see you back! A break is no bad thing if you need it. I think doing a marathon entirely in the dark when you should be in bed is a tall order and not sure I could have done it. Half way is a major achievement! But still come here and tell us what you're up to! How is the move going, a lot of hassle I guess but will be worth it!
    Lyrics, also not doing well though I did get yesterday's but thought it was the Proclaimers!
    Ale, hopefully will be a long time before you need the downstairs bathroom! Ours is downstairs anyhow though the only downstairs bedroom is a bit dark and seems to have been taken over by other stuff.
    Not much running today, woke with a streaming cold but went out however only 3.5 miles run and another 4.5 walked. A nice still day although icy underfoot this morning. Then another walk /catchup with friend and her dog, appear to have covered 16 plus miles somehow!
    Wabo, going to be a very busy granny!
    We're hoping to get away next wed night to see the grandkids!
    Chick, staying upright always a bonus!
    Dustin, tough run training!

• Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Evening

Good to see you Hazel, sorry to hear it didn't go well, but it sounds like a rest will be useful given the recent stress and hopefully you'll be back stronger and more motivated before long.

Congrats Wabo and family

Hope you got away from the screen a bit Dustin

Impressive total mileage Els regardless of how you did it

Not sure how anyone can look forward to a treadmill run Chick

I'll go and join in on the 1000mile thread Ale. Regarding yesterday's song - I just once noticed that the credits for the song had 3 names I didn't recognise as the writers so looked it up - think it was first done by a band called The McCoys. Plus it was on his album Pin Ups, which I think is all covers.

45mins fairly easy this evening, no ice left despite hovering close to freezing all day

Lyrics yes (almost mentioned him last night regarding the birthday when I posted)
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Congrats wabo but yes mad 😂

Hazel sorry to hear that. Some rest is something us lot on here don't do enough sometimes! Look after yourself.

Speaking of resting it's what's I'm doing. I'm still wiped out from COVID and the cold weather isn't making me want to go outside. Did a few short walks today.

Ale yes, 7 years ago I was less than half your age!

Have a great evening all.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    Evening! 

Glad I got the maths right, Emz! But sorry to hear about the COVID afters. Took me six or so months so hopefully it won't take that long for you to be back to where you were.

And looks like a decent race this evening, Wabo...
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Evening all
    First, so glad to see you hazel and you're doing the best thing - hugs to you
    ale you're not wrong. It was such a good night for a race! Fastest 5k for some time and it was progressively fast

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Ale best thing ever was my downstairs loo!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Excellent, Wabo!