AN UPDATE FROM RUNNER’S WORLD

From 15 June 2024, the Runner’s World forum will hang up its running shoes for the final time.

While we are saying goodbye to the forum, you can continue to enjoy Runner’s World through our various platforms, each offering a different way to stay connected:

Sign up to the RW newsletter: Read about the latest running trends, gear reviews, expert advice and inspirational stories, delivered straight to your inbox. 

Visit runnersworld.com/uk: With everything from long reads and training articles to plans and nutrition tips, the content you trust is just a click away. 

Become a subscriber: Get the print magazine for the best in-depth features, expert advice, stunning photography and exclusive content tailored for every level of runner.

Follow us on social media: Follow @RunnersWorldUK on X, Facebook and Instagram for your daily dose of advice, motivation and fun. Keep on running…

The Runner's World team

Options

Thursday 11th January 2024 Are you hanging up a stocking on your wall?

Morning!

Quick post before work

Lyrics: Are you hanging up a stocking on your wall?
It's the time that every Santa has a ball

Number one 50 years ago; rereleased last November 
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Options
    Lyrics, yes!
    Quiet on here, all working?
    Am off today and have managed 15m at my new ultra slow ultra high HR pace (sadly)
    At least some explanation for it (apart from inconsistent training ) seem to have become anaemic although not sure why. Appointment with GP in a week. A bit worried why though could just be being on low dose aspirin for last 3 years.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Els - you still do very impressive mileage. Good luck with the GP appointment.
    Ale - Hope work didnt stop you running (I think I know...)

What - 10 miles of trails
    Why - cleanse my soul
    last rest - 21/09
    last hard - That was no picnic. Ground very hard though (frozen). Very quiet out there, just me & the kites
    lyric - yes
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Yesterday's lyrics were The Man Who Sold The World by David Bowie, on the 7th anniversary of his death.

Know today's ones.

Wasn't feeling the best yesterday so didn't run in the end. Just back from 7 miles today, with 5 of it at tempo (7:17 average) which went really well so I think the day off yesterday was the right call.

At least you know why you're feeling that way now Els, hopefully it'll just be a matter of needing some iron supplements. Just think how easy you'll find the runs once the anaemia is resolved 
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening (well its dark outside)

Els hope you get answers from gp

Hazel nice to see you look after yourself 

What 3.33 miles run walk
    Why all I could manage after 3rd night shift RHR 69 up a lot so hope  a good night sleep tonight I feel better tomorrow  

Last hard today qualifies
    Lyrics  think so, has it really been 50 years 😯
  • Options
    Chamolk, given my age there's no reason for being anaemic though so I'm worried about needing further investigation etc.
    Speedy 7 miles!
    Pammie, tough after lots of nights I expect!!

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Evening all
    Els hope you get answers, and in the meantime do take care 
    Ale, what did you manage in the end
    Pammie well done after 3 night shifts! 
    Chamolk, glad the rest did the trick! 
    Dustin I know what you mean about the frozen trails! Well done! 
    What daughter was not up for running so we had a lovely forest walk, with frozen trails
    Also tonight 11 hill efforts, 4 miles in total
    Why plan
    Last hard the hills
    Last rest 28 12 22 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Lyrics of course 😉
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening! For it is indeed dark, and nearly was when I ran. 

What: 20 minutes run

Why: after work. Was always going to be an easy day, running-wise. 

Decent length there, Els! And Dustin!

Tempo sounds good, Chamolk, and glad you still managed to get out, Pammie!

Will probably be a short day again tomorrow, being compromised by work again!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Wabo still very very impressive. Like chick I'm struggling to get under 30 at the moment. 

Lyrics of course. Though I'm surprised this was number 1 in January!

What: aimed for 5km, did 5 miles!!! Felt the best I've felt in years. I could have kept going as well, just didn't want to overdo it. Yes I've done much further recently, but not without walking some. It was a hilly route too so I'm really really pleased.  Let's see if I can do sub 30 on Saturday....

Els hope you get some answers but still great mileage.

Ale, a yes that's more useful for after a muddy run!

Am debating a swim tomorrow but water is likely to be around 3 degrees and I'm not sure I'll be able to get myself out of bed for it... Can't remember if you knew I'd started swimming in the lido all winter (unheated). I love it but I have to persuade myself out of bed when it's this cold!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening again

Wabo amazing 5km again your  training  is coming along  really well 

emzap outdoor swimming  awesome and brave 

Next week I have 4 nights but then off for rest of week. Its all this getting  shop back to normal  post Christmas