AN UPDATE FROM RUNNER’S WORLD

From 15 June 2024, the Runner’s World forum will hang up its running shoes for the final time.

While we are saying goodbye to the forum, you can continue to enjoy Runner’s World through our various platforms, each offering a different way to stay connected:

Sign up to the RW newsletter: Read about the latest running trends, gear reviews, expert advice and inspirational stories, delivered straight to your inbox. 

Visit runnersworld.com/uk: With everything from long reads and training articles to plans and nutrition tips, the content you trust is just a click away. 

Become a subscriber: Get the print magazine for the best in-depth features, expert advice, stunning photography and exclusive content tailored for every level of runner.

Follow us on social media: Follow @RunnersWorldUK on X, Facebook and Instagram for your daily dose of advice, motivation and fun. Keep on running…

The Runner's World team

Options

Wednesday 17th January 2024 Who wears xxxxx xxxxxx?

Morning!

Lyrics: Who wears xxxxx xxxxxx?
We wear xxxxx xxxxxx?

Yesterday's were The Dave Clarke Five with Glad All Over

Can't believe people are running in shorts in this weather! Has to be leggings or tracksters...or both! Actually traditional at the club that even for track sessions bottoms of some description are worn until around Easter. Warm up in two pairs! 
Actually of course it is up to the individual!

What: 30-40 minutes, probably, plus long stretch

Why: Wednesday
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Hope my tongue in cheek rant about shorts hasn't scared people away!

What: 55 minutes off road

Why: as I'm working the rest of the week, probably, it seemed sensible to go a little longer today. Bright blue skies but very cold with a chilling wind. Very crisp under foot almost all the way round; concentration required.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    edited January 17
    hiya
    Ale - generally shorts all year round (for running). Coaching I sometimes wear tracksters. 
    Usually its my hands and core that feel the worst of the cold
    Wabo - for shorts , see above. For Cornwall, see you there! Which part? We're off to Bude on Saturday.

What - Easy lunchtime. Evening coaching villagers
    Why - recovery / routine
    last rest - 21/09
    last hard - Yesterday. Massive club session, over 30 for the "marathon group" thresholds. Varying times from two blocks of 12 minutes & 10 minutes up to 18 & 14 for the fast boys. I did the 'mid' range of 16 & 14. 4 mins easy between the two. 
    Decent group of 4 at my pace, averaging around 7.20s (min/miling) but that felt harder than it should have done. Good to get it done though. Still need to decide if I'm actually going to run a marathon this spring  :D
    Lyric - haha , of course!
  • Options
    Lyrics, no! Shorts, never when it's snowing! Tend to wear 3/4 leggings unless very cold then I have some slightly fleecy long ones. 
    Still heavy snow here! But at work all day then away. Most staff/patients have got in!
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Just awake - only 3 hours sleep as 3 night shifts done, off for next few nights and have stuff to do today.

Tired yesterday and pretty icy so didn't run. Really icy this morning but looks like it's thawed a bit so might try and get something easy done.

Shorts regardless of the temp/snow for me - I don't actually own any leggings or similar. I'll add a jacket/gloves/hat etc as needed. It does tend to mean I get a bit dry and itchy at times on my shins though

Nice session Dustin, thinking of something similar for my next tempo run, but I'll need to wait until things aren't quite as slippy underfoot

Lyrics yes
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    my oh wears shorts, and to be fair as I said I have been at times. 
    Lyrics of course
    Dustin we are going to Par near St Austell, can't wait Saturday 27/1 will be Lanhydrock park run hopefully

What only a mile, all I had time for
    why: going out straight from work to see Back Stairs Billy
    Last hard: that
    last rest: 28/12/22
    Good running all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Generally wear shorts but can be coupled with many layers on top, gloves and beanie!
    Amber alert here with moderate snow but should get away to boat tonight.
    Have date for pre-op assessment next month.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Y'all crazy wearing shorts in winter ☃️❄️😉 fleecy leggings here. Shorts come out in double digit temps.

Monster sesh yesterday, Dustin! Impressive pace.

Hope the snow disappears for all of us so normal running can be resumed.

Another decent treadmill sesh for me with 12k. Too treacherous for anything outside.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Re shorts, totally with you, Chick! At least 14 degrees!

Good that you have an appointment,  OH. Hope the trip goes to plan! 

An hour of stretching d&d. Short visit to the alehouse shortly!