AN UPDATE FROM RUNNER’S WORLD

From 15 June 2024, the Runner’s World forum will hang up its running shoes for the final time.

While we are saying goodbye to the forum, you can continue to enjoy Runner’s World through our various platforms, each offering a different way to stay connected:

Sign up to the RW newsletter: Read about the latest running trends, gear reviews, expert advice and inspirational stories, delivered straight to your inbox. 

Visit runnersworld.com/uk: With everything from long reads and training articles to plans and nutrition tips, the content you trust is just a click away. 

Become a subscriber: Get the print magazine for the best in-depth features, expert advice, stunning photography and exclusive content tailored for every level of runner.

Follow us on social media: Follow @RunnersWorldUK on X, Facebook and Instagram for your daily dose of advice, motivation and fun. Keep on running…

The Runner's World team

Options

Saturday 27th January 2024 Friendly old girl of a town

Morning!

Lyrics: Friendly old girl of a town
'Neath her tavern light
On this merry night
Let us clink and drink one down

Line two onwards. 

Yesterday: George Ezra, Budapest

What: not sure yet

Why: contemplating running a parkrun,  but not too hard.
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Options
    Enjoy the parkrun Ale!
    Lyrics, no idea.
    Just doing a bit of cooking, will get out for a wee run in a bit. predicted gales again but doesn't look too bad out.
  • Options
    35:15 parkrun
    Breezy but dry for duration of parkrun.
    Lyrics no
  • Options
    Wasn't so nice by time I got out, first half of run was fine, wind behind me and dry then strong wind and hail and rain in my face, my fault for trying out jacket I got for Christmas which isn't waterproof! 6.2m finishing conviently at shop for bits and pieces and chilly walk home.
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Sorry I've been AWOL. Stomach hasn't been great but I've been plodding on. 5 degree swim yesterday was a bit finger numbing! 

Parkrun this morning. Did what I said I'd do and try a fast, flat course. Well I only went and smashed a post baby pb, 27:07. So happy with that, especially after how I've been feeling this week.  Wondering if I could go under 27 on a well week!

Knew Thurs and Fri lyrics, but not today's.

Wabo how are you feeling?

Els that doesn't sound like a fun run!

OH well done on parkrun.

Ale did you parkrun?
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Afternoon!

Nice work at the parkrun, Emz! Plenty more to come I'm sure: not the racing season yet...see below! Was the course WP?

Yes, I did parkrun and went to the one that ElsOH and I met up at in August. Probably better conditions then, and certainly wasn't the five degrees/feels like one of this morning! Never actually got warm!

Set off well within myself and gradually ramped up the pace whilst being reasonably in my comfort zone: "comfortably uncomfortable". Surprised myself with 24:23, about a minute quicker than in the summer. And the course is probably worth a minute compared to the quicker courses around here. First in age group on my debut in the new category and my highest ever age grading on the course. Basically nearly all of my running has been slow and steady; now time to gradually increase the quicker work, plus strength and conditioning, in preparation for those better weather days from Easter to September and what I call the racing season. 

Well done OH, and I'm glad that I didn't have your conditions, Els

Today's run took me over the 100 miles for the month, one of my targets.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Very impressive parkrunning, OH, Ale and emzap.

See, em - I wasn't far off when I said 26ish 😉 nice 👍🏻

I like to combine running and shopping for bits too, Els.

Slept in this morning so no parkrun but I figured the ground would be soggy after yesterday's rain. 

It was a beautiful sunny day today albeit breezy. Fun incident: I was doing my usual plod warmup when I heard footsteps from behind and was soon overtaken by a youngish male runner. I did my own routine and he disappeared around a bend. After a k or so I saw him stopped fiddling with his phone, shoes and hat so I went past. Dude must have started running again just as I passed him. Only I wasn't warm-up plodding anymore so he couldn't shake me that easily 😆. It went on for a few I - he kept turning around, clearly annoyed that this old chick was still breathing down his neck 🤣🤣  So he put in a massive sprint and I thought for a moment to do the same but I had already covered 5.5k and my plan had been 10 in total because hubby was waiting  for me to cook lunch. I enjoyed this little episode which kind of shook me out of the plod groove. 11k in 1hr and 4mins which means a sub 30 parkrun is doable as I was nowhere near redlining. Garmin said it was a Zone 2 run.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Emz - Super work on the PR PB, PB!
    Ale - wow, good going, nicely done!
    OH - great run, well done!
    Els - sounds like a battle with the elements, great stuff
    Chick - ha, sounds good, keeps you motivated on the run

What - 10 miles steady
    Why - back home, after the drive back from the SW
    last rest - 21/09
    last hard - going round Tesco to restock the house.... :D