Tracey Morris

Comments

• Chimp, she didn't get in because of GFA, she got in because Bud Baldaro pulled some strings.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Yes I suppose she beat the opposition one on one so there can be no excuses for not selecting her. It does seem a bit risky leaving your attempt to qualify this late though - I know a marathon needs careful planning but I'd still have thought more of the other contenders might have tried to post a qualifying time at Berlin or somewhere and used London as a fall back if that failed.

Agree the description of her as a fun runner is a joke - and it wasn't that big a surprise after all she was in the FLM magazine as one of the main contenders for the last olympic spot.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Also I think maybe John Brown should have got some kind of money - expenses perhaps - after all he did have to come over from Canada to race and he looked very comfortable.
  • He's had a rotten year or so with injury and illness, but I think he's looking quite good as well. Could be an outside bet for Athens.....
  • Love her quote about qualifying for Athens - "I've been there once before as my friend lives there and I was at her wedding four years ago but it will be nice to go back"

Can't quite imagine Paula saying that.
  • I believe that both Tracey Morris and John Brown are from Wales - is this the first time the first British man and woman were Welsh?
  • As regard the Jon Brown thing, wouldn't another way of presenting his case have been to say that of the £millions available to pay entrants it is strange that NONE of it went to Britains most likely highest finisher? I'm guessing that he doesn't have a PR agent or if he does he needs to fire them.
  • I think it is a little disheartening for all us regular plodders to see someone to whom running appears to come so naturally finishing so well in the marathon.

I sat there watching the marathon thinking that those girls who have been training for years for this event and for the chance to go to the olympics must be feeling the way I feel when i turn up at a 10k race and there is some guy there on the start line nursing a hangover and eating a bacon sandwich wearing trainers that look like they were bought yesterday from JD Sports on the "expert advice" of the 12 year old behind the counter who then sprints off into the distance and beats me by 25 minutes!

I just hope that this does not raise the hopes of all those people that take up running on the back of this thinking that if they add on a couple of miles on their treadmills a week they will be heading off to China in the next Olympics.
  • Don't be like that, LB.

Run for yourself, run for the sheer joy of running. Run because you can.

The memories, the medals, the blood and sweat, and the fun will all be precious to you, whether or not some scally in reebok classics thrashes you.

That's the way I fee, anyway. I don't judge myself against anyone else, if I feel that I've run well then I'm pleased.

Well done Tracey.
  • LB, I think you are being very unfair to Tracey, you don't know how hard she has trained for this, natural talent alone will not get you a fast time.

The only person who I race against is myself, I run and enter races because I enjoy doing so.

Rather than resenting other runners doing well get out there and celebrate with them.
  • I was only joking - thought she ran great, as did everyone who finished.

My favourite runner of the year is the old, registered-blind woman who was interviewed on BBC who is still on her way round now and hopes to finish tomorrow (sorry I can't remember her name) - she has got real guts and I hope she makes it even though it looks like there is a storm brewing over london at the moment.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    To me the term fun runner means someone who enjoys their running, regardless of standard.

Given the huge grin on Tracey's face as she whizzed down Birdcage Walk, by that criterion fun runner fits the bill. The grin was even bigger in that post-race interview. That and a show of sincere humility makes her a winner in my book anyday.
  • Hmmm, whether you were joking or not, LB, I hope others do not take your comments about Tracey seriously.

You suggest that she somehow managed to beat all the other girls by means of natural talent when they had all been training for years. This is not the case - Tracey trains harder than any of them - or at least, she trains to the right level and rests to the right level. Surely her result yesterday proves that - you do not run 2:33 for a marathon by sheer fluke.

You must ignore the comments of those who simply don't know her history but who instead go for the good story - it makes better reading to tell of some 'fun-runner' who trains a bit and then beats all of the more-fancied British runners. Stuff of dreams, etc.

This ignores the fact that she is the third-fastest female half-marathoner and 10-miler this year. Only Paula Radcliffe has a faster time this year over 10k. She is the Welsh 10k champion, and represented her country in cross-country last year (as well as when she was a schoolgirl).

Tracey Morris is nothing like a scally with a hangover on race day. Trust me.
  • U/A - do you expect her to stay with Valley Striders or be `poached' by one of the `bigger' clubs for female runners like Bingley or Wakefield?

Of course if she'd like to join Barnsley AC...:-)
  • I am very sorry, obviously I expressed myself badly - my joke was meant to be about the coverage that she has received today, along with a bit of self-deprecation, rather than making light of her achievment - the papers and bbc have, as you know, made her out to be a "fun-runner". I was joking about this and how this would make the other elite female runners feel IF it was true (which before anyone reminds me, we all know is not), rather than about her ability and dedication.

Can everyone please forgive me?
  • Nah, she wants to come to Pacers apparently, Barnsley.

Much nicer vests.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've just re-read your first post in light of that, and I see what you meant.

I have been running for 5 years, and my marathon PB is 5:50. I hope, with a decent spell without injuries, to eventually get down to 5 hours, and love to think that one day I could do 4 hours.

The fact that someone who is the same age as me can make such vast improvements gives me inspiration to keep going to improve *my* time, but a small part of me is a green eyed monster.......... if only I had half of her natural talent.

I hope she does great in Athens, the lucky beggar :O)
  • Dont apologise LB. I know what you meant.

• Ta pants.

I took almost twice as long as Tracey to finish my marathon, but I give not a hoot, sent my medal off for engraving Saturday.

Shall wear it with pride. :-)
  • re the question of whether Tracey or Paula is the more impressive, it is unfair to suddenly belittle Paula's achievements just in the light of what Tracey has done. Half the female running population of the Rift Valley is chasing Paula's times as full time runners with no lack of support in comparison with Paula and getting nowhere near.
    Definitely agree that TM doing it while holding down a full time job is all the more impressive, but that's no need to resent Paula for being a pro.
  • Oh know, the late night news has just referred to T Morris as a fun runner, but there again she looked so happy why quibble about labels. Her story is inspiring whichever way you look at it.

Dont know where the comparison with Paula Radcliffe came from, or who started it. Paula Radcliffe is surely the boss when it comes to long distance running,
  • Sorry, the comment about the comparison with Radcliffe were in response to Wayfrer's post a couple of pages back as I hadn't been on since this morning.
  • LB

Agree with Chimp. No need to apologise I know just what you mean - its like the kid at school who used to come top in all the exams. You don't resent it, you just wish it could happen to you.

Looking at the Tracey Morris splits, she actually ran a very controlled even paced race and had plenty in the tank at the end by all accounts. With a bit of luck and a following wind she could be a serious contender in Athens...
  • HC, I wasn't belittling PR's achievements (who am I!?!?), I was merely pondering the point.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    OK taking into account they are both great etc etc I still think Paula's is the greater achievement. No doubt Paula could have got a job and then ran a 2.30 something too, but either through character, circumstance or likely a combination of both she's made the most of her talent whilst Tracey Morris hasn't - purely in athletics terms that is.
  • Hi BarnsleyRunner, and well done on your own marathon performance!

With regard to Tracey being poached by a larger club (you mention Bingley and Wakefield), she was asked to train with some of the Leeds City runners following her Brass Monkey success. From my experience of small clubs, this usually leads to the bigger club asking "Why don't you join us, you'd be so much better off, etc."

Of course, they might have wanted to just help her out (rather than just wanting her to help their best female marathoner), but I don't remember them asking her to run with them when she wasn't as good.

But I think she'll stay put - it hasn't done her any harm so far!
  • Quite, U/A.

The standard of runnimg clubs in Yorkshire is pretty high anyway in my (amittedly biased) opinion. Dont forget, the first man home last year in the FLM was a Bingley Harrier if my memory serves correct.
  • Hi Chimp, I agree with you on the strength of clubs in Yorkshire - both Leeds City and Bingley have won the men's English Cross Country team title in the past 5 years. Can we count Jon Brown running for Sheffield as he lives in Canada? 3rd British man this year (Chris Cariss, just missing out on 2:15) is a Bingley runner.

Of the 'smaller' clubs, 3rd Yorkshire runner was Ian Fisher of Otley, who did 2:21 (14th British male, I believe).

It's all those hills we have to run up!