The Fat Club

Comments

• I’m 6’2” and started out at well over 17st and I’m now 14st5lb, I made my biggest improvements at 2 significant points,( apart from the obvious lets start exercising point):

1) stopping the 10 pints of Guinness 4 times a week (now only a couple of beers in a Friday)
    2) Ditching all spreads (butter, marg etc…)

My tip – for what is worth is replacing salad cream / mayo for low fat yoghurt and mint dressing – It makes salads more interesting.

Will
  • On similar lines, I make creamy sauces by melting Philly light, much better than making cream or white sauces and it tastes great, especially with mushrooms...
    Also, you can make homemade coleslaw or tuna mayo using 1 spoon low fat natural yogurt to 1 spoon low fat mayo...
  • Yaay! People who talk about loosing weight and don't have an aversion to exercise (or eating!). I'm currently a little on the porky side, 5'1" and 10st 5lb. Am training for NY marathon but the weight doesn't seem to be coming off like I hoped (think I'm training for cake eating marathon too!).
    Could do with some support and a good kick up the backside. Want to be 8 and a halfish by Christmas - my knees could do with a break!
  • Caitlin - My knees and hips know how your knees feel. I'm a relatively young 'un (23) and I get aches after I've been out, especially on horrible wet days like today. Easing the pressure on my knees is a major weightloss incentive.
  • Hi everyone
    I'm 5'2" and weigh around 9st 12lbs. Since taking up running around 18months ago I have put about one stone on. I really need to get back down to 81/2 stone but this just seems impossible.
    Running wise, I've got a 10K on the 18th Aug, a half on the 1st Sept,and then the GNR on 6th Oct. I am very slow, am aiming for under 60mins for the 10K and around 2hrs 30 for the halfs.
    Ta,
    Tiny
  • I can't get my head round the "ideal weight" stats at all. Just to make things even more complicated, some charts quote the "ideal" BMI range as 20-25 for men and 18-23 for women. Ouch! And the standards for endurance athletes are even skinnier. When I watched the men's 10K at the Commonwealth Games on the telly I was glad I wasn't in the stadium, because I'd have run on to the track and tried to pour Scotch broth down their throats. Can't watch ballet for exactly the same reason.

Losing lots of weight and developing amenorrhoea as a result certainly isn't good for women's bones, but there are lots of skellies out there who function well on it - I had two quite healthy, non-exercising, normal-eating 18 year old girls with BMIs in the 15-16 range in my last group of medical students.

Obesity is a much bigger national problem than skinny runners. Did you know that you are 93 times more likely to get diabetes with a BMI of 30 than with a BMI of 22?

I suppose the answer is to make a positive decision about which weight is right for you at this time. For me, something between 8st 7lb and 9st is fine when I'm not running, but I won't run my best at that weight.

Another tip. Don't eat burgers. You're worth more than that.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • whoops - had McDonalds for lunch today! Just wanted to make the most of the 'buy one get one free' McFlurry deal (no I didn't eat both!). No more burgers then.
  • I use body fat percentage as opposed to BMI, which I ignore totally, because if you have spent a lot of time [in the past – yes I admit it “My name is Will & I was once a body builder” ;-) ] working on your Abs and intercostals etc. you tend to have a thick waste which affects your BMI

Will
  • I def take your point about some people being naturally skinny (gggrrrr!) there's a girl in my office same height as me who must be a size 8 but happy and healthy! I console myself by thinking I could power up a hill though!!!

Diabetes statistic is worrying, as I have PCOS and I've been told that makes you more susceptible to adult-onset diabetes anyway. My BMI is over 25, though thankfully under 30, I am working hard on getting it down!

One thing that really gets me though, doc, people assuming you're unfit or are complete couch potato if you're bigger... Had my BP done at my new doc's and I said I ran, she then made some patronising comment about did I find it good to get out and about a bit! Like I must be some lardy arse who only gets off the sofa to get some more cake! I was like excuse me I'm training for the marathon! I have always been big but that hasn't stopped me playing hockey and football quite seriously and running loads of races!!! Also, have met plenty of seemingly 'slim' people who are unfit/blobby!!!

Rant over now!
  • Suz

If you don't want to eat burgers I suggest reading 'Fast Food Nation' I too was a McFlurry addict - and partial to the odd burger or too, but never again!
    It's not all food scares and abatour horror stories - it's actually really interesting!
    Sales pitch over...

Caitlin
  • Edited highlights? What was it that put you off McDonald's for life then?
  • Good for you, Lamb. These assumptions annoy me too.

The PCOS should certainly be a spur towards making sure you're not carrying excess weight, though. Not only does weight loss help the PCOS symptoms, there is a definite increase in the risk of "metabolic syndrome" (diabetes, heart disease and such delights) associated with it in the long term. Something mildly complicated to do with insulin.

Will, by the standard you use it wouldn't hurt me to shift a bit of fat as I'm currently at 29%, although that's on one of those hand-held thingies which, I suspect, don't measure anything but just do a calculation with the weight, height, sex and age statistics you key in.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Fast Food Nation? This is getting complicated. All I meant is that I think spongy mushed-up mechanically-recovered meat is yucky.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • I've got a friend who worked in McDonalds, she said a week there is enough to put you off for life, she won't go near them now! Anyway, you can make your own far better, lean meat, fresh lettuce and tomato... yum!
  • Yup - that's basically what the book says too. Unfortuantely spongy mushed-up mechanically-recoverd meat can sometimes really hit the spot! The bits on the treatment of employees and just their whole business ethic is what really put me off. Interesting fact #1: Did you know that more fast food employees are killed or violently attacked on the job in America than on duty cops!
    Sorry - lecture over. you don't want to get me started on Chicken nuggets!
  • I'm off now - have a great w/e and see you all Monday for our first report!
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Lardy Lollopers is a great name!

Have a lovely weekend all.
  • Hi,

I would like to join too, but I think a Friday morning is a far better day to have a weigh-in as then if you are a little bit naughty at the weekend you have the whole week to lose it again. I would ideally like to lose about a stone, I have just lost 6.5 pounds over the past three weeks and that is with a Friday morning weigh-in!!
  • Half marathon on Sunday -eek. Might be a little sore come Monday.

Happy running, till then
  • Hi Lamb and everyone else
    Can I join too? According to those height/weight charts I'm in the right place but have put on about 3/4 of a stone over the last 12 months or so and just haven't had the motivation to get rid of it again.

I also suffer from having a humungous appetite and a major passion for carbohydrates (even before I took up running. As I get older I know I can't get away with stuffing my face with no consequences any more!

This is such good timing as in the past two weeks I have been eating for Britain. I think it's partly stress as I'm in the middle of buying a house which is a long and frustrating process. I'm depressed, so I eat something nice and fattening to cheer myself up, then feel depressed cos I've eaten something bad, then tend to think "stuff it" and binge for the rest of the day becuause I've blown any good intentions I had in the morning.

Will however try to be good this weekend and join the progress reports on Monday - have good weekends everyone!

Dumpling (oh yes...)

• Hi Lam and all you other tubsters out there

I would like to join. I have been running for about a year and was really getting into it and the weight was coming off but for the last few months have been injured (dodgy knee probably caused by being a too tubby) so I have had to ease off. If I could lose about a stone I think it would make a big difference to my running, as well as looking dead slinky too !

As for a name, I vote for the Fat Club and agree Mondays are a good day for a weigh in as it should put the breaks on a pig out at the weekend (and hopefully if we are doing our longer runs on Sundays we will feel a bit lighter on a Monday).

I have tried slimming clubs in the past and the support network of a group of like-minded slimmers really does work. I'm all for it!

Will post again on Monday! Keep it healthy over the weekend guys!
  • Hi all

I'ld like to join please. I took up running at the beginning of the year weighing 18st (I'm 6'0). I now weigh 16st 3, but have been hovering between 16 & 16 1/2 for the last 2 months. I need to just get off this plateau & get the weight shifting again.

I'm trying to be relatively good re food, but have trouble at work. No canteen, & water macine is right next to chocolate m/c. Chocolate is a great failing, but any food get's eaten. I'm just starting to try healthy snacks mid-morning and mid-afternoon, I'll see how it goes.

Good luck to all - it's not easy but the results are worth the effort (that's what my wife says anyway!). I look forward to the day when I can think about ruuning a 10k, and all those mentions of 9 min/mile - well that's just a distant dream at the moment.

Happy slimming, happy running
  • okay, feeling ill now!!! From now on I'm giving up 'spongy mushed-up mechanically-recoverd meat'. I didn't eat it that often anyway but may just stick to frozen yoghurt!

Good luck over the weekend everyone

Suz
  • Tip for the weekend - willpower is soluble in alcohol.

Off on hols now!

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Hi all..can't belive I hadn't come across this thread before I saw Redheads post in the beginners section!
    I'm 5.2" and was 12st 6lbs in January of this year..I've lost 2stone 4lbs so far with another 1stone 4lbs to go!
    Running has definitely helped increase my metabolism and burned off the fat!
    a big WELL DONE to all of you that have lost weight and increased their fitness levels - I think it's brilliant and maybe we can re-name this forum the now slim club once we've all achived our goals!
    Kate
  • Hi Guys

I'm on for joining too.

I'm currently 13 stone and 5ft 6. My ideal weight is 9st 10. So I have an awful lot of work to do but I'm sticking with it.

Whoever mentioned it - I also have PCOS which makes with the funny glucose/insulin muck-ups and adds weight when inactive. So hopefully this running will help with that too.

I think Lamb was right - everyone should have their own weigh-in day, what works best for them. Personally, I think mine will be Mondays too. That way, it keeps me from "digressing" over the weekend :)
  • Hello everyone

Can I join in too. I've only just found this post but it's time to get the kids in bed and my husband's moaning about me being a nethead so I'll have to post before I finish reading the thread.

Well done Redhead for losing all that weight and well done everyone else who's on for it. I lost 3.5 stone two years ago and now I hover around this weight -9st 10lbs when it's going very well and 10st 7lbs when it isn't. So it's a constant battle. And I think running changes you because last time I got down to 9st 10lb my husband said I was getting a bit thin - I stuffed my head into a large bucket of Heores instantly and I did agree with him - but I'd like to get down to that weight again to check if he was right.

10st4lbs this morning after a 6 mile run (is that cheating to weigh then?) so I'd like to lose 7 - 8 lbs. And then put it on... and then take it off...and then put it on. Ho hum, it'll be nice to have some company for a change.

What half marathon are you doing Redhead - is it the WIndsor half? If so I'll see you there. And thanks for thinking the Club up.
  • wow 20 odd messages since i left work. i think this is going to be a popular forum.
    Great idea Redhead.
    Have a good weekend everyone. Not looking forward to weighin day on monday, as i am expecting 19'8''ish But i gotta start somewhere.

Nic
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    This is brilliant! I'm so glad that there has been such a good response because it can be lonely losing weight when everyone around you looks like a stick insect.

Well done Jon, Lolly, Wild Will, Fat Bloke, Kaytee and Daisy Dog for having lost so much (I seem to have got stuck hovering between 9st7lbs and 10st2lbs and just can't get moving again).

Doesn't running really help? I've found it has given me a new focus and helps me deal with stress a lot better.

It's great that there are so many men here too. Good on you lads - glad it's not just us girls.

I think this forum is going to help us all stay focused and motivated. I've asked the nice people at RW if we can have our own forum so I'm just waiting for their reply.

Be good this weekend!

Susie

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Daisy Dog, yes it's the Windsor half so I'll see you there. Let's see if we can lose a few pounds beforehand.

Susie