The Fat Club

Comments

• Welcome GeeDee,
    and wel done on the weight loss. Hope you stick with it and lose all that you want to.
  • Thanks Nic,
    its good to know there is someone out there to talk to, cheers.
  • Hi GeeDee

Seems you caught the tail end of girls stuff! Well done on the fab weight loss - keep us posted. Have you done any races yet?
  • Could be, Lamb, or maybe after all this time you've forgotten how horrible premenstrual bloating can be.

In theory, you should be able to take the pill continuously for several months and not feel any worse when stopping than you would after the normal 3 weeks, but I have come across a few women who would rather suffer a dose of TOTM on their holidays than the extra discomfort they notice after postponing their pill-free week.

Try having plenty of water, plenty of fruit and veg, and avoiding caffeine, alcohol and sugary stuff for the rest of today, and hope for some action in the plumbing department by tonight. Difficult if you get a TOTM chocolate craving. Wonder what women craved before chocolate became so readily available?

Cheers, V-rap.
  • No Probs GeeDee. I am male too. 19,7 and just starting out. Been doing it 2 weeks now and have lost 5lb already. Which i am really chuffed about.
    also did a sneaky weigh in this morning just to look and am down another 2lbs but i wont really report that untill monday
    Nic
  • Nic, that's called cheating! I quite often did sneaky looks too mid-week. It was good 'cos the only place I could weigh in was the gym. Great when it gives you a boost, not so good when it doesn't! Well done on the 5lb.
  • I got a major b*llocking from my running bud DW for having a sneaky weighin, though it was good news and gave me a motivation boost!
  • BTW, you've all inspired me. Just started a new job and hadn't sorted out a fruit bowl on my desk for those moments when the need to snack hits - this is especially difficult where I now work as there is a kitchen near my office in which there is toast making facilities, plus communal loaves, butter, peanut butter, jam and marmite! - so now have an overflowing bowl on my desk.
  • Oh, and thanks V-rap for the advice, I now have a 2l bottle of water on my desk and an apple though it's a bit late on the caffeine front! As for pre-chocolate days, that must be what they called the Dark Ages, a time of depression, misery and desperation...
  • Hi Caketin, like the name !
    The last time I raced was in 1984 a half marathon in 1hr 38mins I have a long way to go before I get back to anything like that, if ever, 18 years is a long lay off.
  • 1:38 that's fantastic, can only dream of such speed! I just want to break 2 hrs!!
  • Wow 1:38, I am hoping just to get round my first 1/2 marathon with my aim being under 2:30!
  • She - yeah i know its cheating. But i am not going to record any weight untill monday. But it does make you feel better :)
    Unfortunatly i dont have a running raining partner to tell me off.
  • Yes Lamb its a dream to me as well and if I tried a 1/2 at the moment I am not sure what I would break
  • It's only natural to want to know how you're doing, isn't it? If the sneaky weigh-in brings good news, you're doing well. If it doesn't, that just goes to show that once a week is enough. You win either way.

I see a variation on the theme - people whose weight loss I am supervising coming along on a pretext in the hope that I'll give them a sneaky body-fat measurement (the deal is that I will weigh them fortnightly and measure their body fat percentage every 6 weeks).

Cheers, V-rap.
  • BTW where is everyone from? I am in medway, Kent. So if anyone needs a running partner....
  • V-rap, is this just a doctorly supervision or do you run a slimming group or something?

Gee-dee, are you planning to get back into racing?
  • GeeDee
    1.38 is fab - I'm with Lamb - 2 would be great!I had a lay off for a year and added a stone and 30mins to my half mara time! I still only managed 2.00 (just!) when I was fit! Hoping for a 2.15 ish at Windsor in Sept hopefully minus the 14lbs - then I'll aim for sub 2.00 in Reading next year.
  • I'm living and working in Yorks at the moment but am moving back to my native Essex next month... will miss the Dales and the trails but not the little b*stards who keep vandalising everything in sight where I live...

PS sorry about the language, am in a bad mood after M&S incident!!
  • Caketin - we could pace each other to a glorious Fat Club sub2 with our all-new svelte runners' bodies!!!
  • Hi Lamb, yes I would like to get back into racing, think I would like to try a 10k in about a months time
  • Good plan - I really enjoy racing even though I'll never win anything! I think it's the variety, different parts of the country, new routes, but also the experience of running with other people and against your own perception of what you can do...

Had a look back in my diary and I've done 7 races since London, not including 3 peaks!
  • You have done the 3 peaks, bet that was a task and a half !!
  • Well, actually it was 2 peaks... we were the last team to start up Ben Nevis so didn't start Scafell til after dawn. We wouldn't have made it up and down Snowdon in the light, so we stopped somewhere near Preston!

It was really really tough, mentally as well as physically, a lot more than London. No proper food and no sleep!
  • Good excuse to pig an entire packet of strawberry laces and a massive bar of whole nut though!!
  • Lamb, you actually ran up Ben Nevis, flamin' heck. I come from that part of the world, and I've only every looked at it. Walked up a few Munros right enough in my younger days.
  • You mention London Lamb do you mean the marathon? I would love to do a marathon some day, thats why I stopped running all those years ago, I got to 18 miles one day and my hip gave out, it took a long time to heal and I never got back into it till now.
  • Lamb
    Pacing sounds good idea. Have you had a look at marathonguide.com? You can make wristbands with each mile time printed on - so you keep bang on target.
    Have you a half lined up? GNR I guess
  • I don't run a slimming group, Lamb - any organisation that combines the words "slimming clinic" and "medical supervision" is likely to be a front for the pharmaceutical industry to dispose of surplus stocks of amphetamines, laxatives and thyroid supplements at a huge profit, and I see my responsibilities as including doing what I can to keep my patients from being preyed on in this way, which means providing an ethical alternative!

My diabetes clinic also involves a lot of discussions of lifestyle changes. A lot of it is quite unproductive as my inner-city population isn't as motivated as RW forumites.

The fun bit, since I live on the patch, is when I go to the supermarket and people try to dissociate themselves from the contents of their trolleys ("the grandchildren are coming this weekend and they're devils for pork pies") or I can wave a cheerful hello to the person who was in my room two hours before claiming to live on air and is now standing outside Asda stuffing a cheese and onion pasty down her throat like a professional.

Cheers, -rap.
  • Geedee, you got further than me - my hip packed up after a 13.5 mile training run and took months to recover, not helped by interrupting my recovery to amble round the London Marathon in an embarrassing time.

I'm impressed with all these mountains, Lamb. I'd much rather go climbing than run. Like She, I've never attempted Ben Nevis despite having been Scottish in my youth.

Cheers, V-rap.