The Fat Club

Comments

• Hi Guys!
    She - I wouldn't say 'ran', though there were teams that ran all the way down! More of a determined march!
    Geedee- yeah, I did London (badly) this year and said never again, needless to say have entered for next year! The marathon puts strains on your body like nothing else, I think everyone picked up at least one injury while training. I did my achilles but luckily caught it early (Jan) and had a good physio who got me to the start line... see you in 2003, then?
    Caketin- I've seen those wristbands, though I usually use my watch, either the timer or the split function. The best pacer is to run with someone with the same target as you can take turns in pushing the pace and generally keep each other going...
    V-rap - I can tell you enjoy this!! Perk of the job I suppose! What's the worst excuse you've ever heard for FAT?! BTW, you would be pleased by contents of my shooping trolley, loads of fruit and veg, wholemeal bread, chicken, pasta, only real sin is cheese!
  • I think the fat club is a great idea. I have a stone to loose which keeps wobbling at me each morning in the bathroom. I'm an expert at "Well I'll start tomorrow". I have only this week bought three mags 1. Weight watchers, 2. Slimmers world, 3. Rosemary Conlys. Anybody suggest which is best for a runner? I think the Slimmers world because of the unlimited pasta and bannanas. But I'm not sure. I agree Mondays would be best to log on as it may set you up for the week.
    Kathy K
  • V-rap - have ALWAYS wanted to learn to climb! Like a true lamb, I always gambol and scramble up any rocks I can find when out walking but would love to learn to do it properly!
  • Ok Folks must go now my daughter wants to be on the pc, chat to you all soon, byeeeeeeee, keep up the good work!!
  • Hi Kathy! Welcome to the Club!
    Do you really need a mag? I'm sure with an active lifestyle (which you already have been a runner) and a sensible approach to eating, you'll lose weight...
  • ps, cant believe I have found such a good bunch of running friends on this here forum,
    byeeeeeeee again.
  • Aw, Shucks, Geedee, you'll make us all blush!
  • Kathy
    I'm on WW (1st weigh in tonight) I like it cos it's pretty much idiot proof - and you earn more 'points' (calories) by doing excercise. And i doesn't restrict you to only eating certain things on certain days.
  • Hi Kathy. I lost weight with sensible eating, low fat and loads of fruit and veg, especially veg, and at least 30 minutes exercise 3 times a week. Try keeping a food diary for a while, I was amazed by all the rubbish I ate and by changing habits lost weight. I've just joined the Forum and its inspiring me...
  • What are the WW meetings like?
  • Caketin, I've heard that WW is brilliant. I've got a mate who lost lots on it and has kept it of.
  • Worst excuse for F.A.T., Lamb? The worst one is also one of the ones I hear most often - "I'm fat because I don't eat enough". Still don't know where that idea arose from - maybe it's a quote from Dr Atkin's New Diet Revolution?

Cheers, V-rap.
  • What is it that WW does that makes it so effective? (I've heard good reports too).
  • V-rap - eh? how does that one work? what's the 'logic' behind that?? Surely they'd be pleased cos they could eat more not less!
  • I just need a public weigh in to get any kind of motivation! Meetiings are good - it's all positive feedback, encouragement and advice (just like here!). Don't tend to stick around for them much now as Wed nights is also yoga - and as of today running club!
  • Public weigh-in, sounds like the stuff of horror movies! Though I agree it must be a powerful motivator!
  • Lets see:

You go along get weighed - congratulated or humiliated then they take your money

What a concept – I wish I’d thought of it ;o)

Will
  • It's not like they shout it out in front of everyone! But it's always nice having someone else telling me I've done well. Plus you get cool stickers for each 7lb you loose!
    It works on a points system (point smen calories) which has all been worked out for you. Your daily points depend on how much you weigh and how much you need to loose. The only drag is the coast (about a fiver a week) and having to wrote down evry single thing you eat. Makes you think twice before reacing for the biccy tin though.
  • Will
    Your right - but it works! (and sorry for all the typos in the previous post!)
  • Couldn't you just take the points system and use it yourself? Why £5 a week? (or am I being dumb?!)
  • Yeah - but I lack motivation on my own. I think the bonus of all these kind of clubs is the incentive of the weigh in at weekly meetings - whatever their system is.
    I have to pay a weekly meeting fee of about £4.50 - and if I miss weeks I have to pay for those too. It doesn't go on forever though - once you've reached your target (I think initially they work it out at loosing about 10% of your current weight)and have been for at least 10 weeks - meetings are then free. You can re-assess oyur target then as well if you still have more to loose.
  • I'm off - until tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's good news!
  • hi everyone,
    Ive been using a site called WWW.WEIGHTLOSSRESOURCES.CO.UK and its brill. What you do is type in everything you eat each day and it works out Cal, Carb, Protien and Fat, you can also work out how mant calories youve earned exercising.
    Theres a 3day free trial and then its £7 per month if you subscribe.I use it everyday and really enjoy keeping a record of what I eat.

Nina
  • I'm not sure about slimming clubs, I tend to side with Will on this one. Not that my method is very bright off course. But exercise & healthy eating is the only way to go. I just find it hard to do the healthy eating part. First run in 4 weeks today, no twinges from injury, so I am hoping that I can now call myself a runner again. And loose all those pounds I have put on.
  • This thread is getting huge - any chance of someone changing it tomorrow to Fat Club: Thursday or something..? It's taking me ages to get through all the messages (my PC is very old and knackered!)

RE: Dieting and clubs for weight loss - my understanding is that the prime reason people do well, is the motivation these places provide. Same thing we're doing here and it's free! Whee! But as other people have said, healthy eating but not to excess, exercising regularly and you should attain the weight you want in no time. In my opinion anyway.
  • This is very off tack, but think you lot might know where I'm coming from. ...I'm doing a bit of part time work involving standing on my feet for about 5 hours at a time. Being overweight, my feet, but no other muscles are starting to ache like mad even after an hour or so - I don't feel any more hungry than when I've been sitting down all day, just tired. Why? Any tips - apart from wearing trainers, which isn't allowed in a 5 star hotel?
    Well done to everyone else who is being more motivated than me about weight loss - my email in box is always full these days. It's been interesting to read your varying opinions on different approaches.
  • Yaay 3lbs down! 10st 2.5lbs now. Not long before I break in to the magic 9s again!!

Last nights run was a bit of a disaster. Was planning gentle 5/6 miler but knee decided to still be sore from half mara. Funnily enough it hurt more going down hill - so I worked myself into a sweat doing hill reps - then went home and soaked in cool bath. Think I'm going to have to lay of running for a whole week - cos I really don't want it to get any worse. Will stick to long walks, cross trainer and possibly even dig out swim suit.

RE: diet clubs - they (seem to be) working for me, and it is all about the motivation. Following their guidelines however they differ all amount to the same thing - changing your eating habits for the better, and encouraging you to make the right food choices. Can't be bad.

-3lb
  • Well done Caketin, I am chuffed for you.
    Hope the knee doesn't get any worse. And go on dig the swimming cossie out. It's a great All over body workout.

Nic
  • Thanks guys, I'll try the sensible eating plan. The only problem is running makes me hungry and I don't always fancy salads. I'll make an eating plan as suggested for the week and see if I can keep on the straight and narrow. But my children are still off school and I always find eating sensible a bit more difficult.I also run better at a lower weight, any excuse.
    Kathy