Baby Joggers

My wife is expecting our first baby in about 6 weeks and we are looking to purchase a good baby joger. I do need a web site or any relavent information on what i should be looking for.

Comments

• I don't know of any web site, but the Headington road runnrs 5 mile race is sponsored by one of the major manufacturers of baby joggers so failing any other info you could start there.
  • Hi,
    Wrote about this in an earlier thread some time ago.babyjogger.co.uk or babyjogger.com are good sites to look at.If you want to email me, I'd be happy to give advice. Our own babyjogger has covered about 600 miles and done about 10 races. We're hoping to do our first half marathon tomorrow if this crappy weather lets up! My daughter started "running" at four months -she's now three and still loves it. Look forward to hearing from you!
    Bill
  • We have a Baby Jogger 2 that we brought back from usa , make sure you go for an alloy one and the bigger the wheels the better .... our son has also been "running" since 4 months and is now three , the ideal running partner ... can't find any races that will let him run though , say insurance doesn't cover it
  • Bill thanks for the info will be looking at the web sites. will let you know what transpires

Kevin did you have any problems bringing the jogger back from the states and what about customs duty, did it make it wothwhile? we have friends in the states so they maybe able to help me.
  • Kevin - I found the same problem when entering some races, but usually a phone call to convince the organiser that I'm not a total nut will work. Just ran Barns Green half marathon today - spoke to the organiser a fortnight ago and explained the situation. All I did was sign an additional disclaimer for my daughter and agreed to start at the back of the pack. (didn't stay there for long!) Most organisers are babyjogger friendly as lomg as you take time out to explain, check the course is suitable and make sure its not a mega championship or similar.
    Phillip - check out second hand babyjoggers, they often appear in "loot" or similar.Some US joggers do not have the same safety standards as british ones, for example some will only have three point harnesses.
  • Phil , we just brought it back as the buggy we were using , handed it in at the gate as we were boarding ( i hope customs don't read this ... ) and yes it was worth our while , we paid $99 for it though it was the display model, not really priced them here but don't think you'd get any change from £200 ...... Bill , thanks for the advise on races , think i'll wait 'til spring and give it a try , by then i will have a newer , lighter and less vocal (who am i trying to kid) running partner....... and yes mine only has a three point harness
  • I am about to buy a babyjogger 2 and wonder if anyone has advice about whether to chose a model with shock-absorbers or not? I'll be using it mostly off-road, on tracks and trails and am concerned about both (small) baby and runner comfort.
  • Hi Debra They can be quite pricy over here but we wouldn't be without it. Our friends in America had one shipped over for us, it was cheaper even having to pay the customs charge on arrival. As Kevin Mckellar reported go for the bigger alloy wheels 20inch if you can. They are very light to push and you can get carried away speed wise so watch it. The baby is secure in it and we just put a blanket under her for a bit more padding. Ours loves it and has no problem watching us work out!! One other thing we added a rain cover to ours it's essenstial in our climate! We have run along trails and off road and they are no problem at all Good Running
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Has anyone experience of pushing a twin jogger? What age would you say you could use them up to - could you use one and train properly with it? I'm wondering if it is worth me getting one as ours are already 18 months.
  • XBXB ✭✭✭
    We had a baby jogger 2 which i used for running on roads. I never ceased to be amazed at its ease and stability. We went for the biggest wheels possible and it was so stable you could run "hands off" down a slight hill. We also had 2 single mothercare joggers which were so bad in comparison.

There was one time on a beach in Northumberland with the wind (gale) at my back where the Jogger pelted along like a sand yacht - I had to sprint to keep up with it.

We bought ours from an american website and had it delivered to our holiday accomodation in Vermont.

Suspension would be worth it if you are going on tracks that will give a lot of vibration.

Popsider, for the cost I wouldn't bother unless your twins are v small. Mine are small (3yrs 10mths 33lbs) and used the jogger until they were 2.5.
  • The Baby Jogger 2 seems to be the three wheeler to go for. Has anybody used the one with suspension?

Also, Trek (the bike manufacturer) has got a Babyjogger, has anybody used this?
  • Is there anyone in the UK that supplies a decent Jogging stroller? The only decent ones I can find are in the states and the reason they don'e export to the UK is because the strollers only have a front brake not back break - is there a problem with only having a front break. I am desperate to find out so that my husband can take our 4 month old running.
  • Try

http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/children/chariot-trailer-prices.html

We have a Chariot 3 wheeler, while our friends have a Baby jogger. I have run with both, and prefer the Chariot, as it is more stable and less twitchy than the BJ (which is still excellent). The Chariot also is fully enclosed, and therefore offers excellent protection against the weather. It also has a UV screen mesh that stops bugs and is sun proof. Finally with the chariot, you can buy a kit to hook it to the back of a bike (it connects to the rear axle).
  • Hi,

Try http://www.arunningstroller.com

We recently bought a Baby Jogger 3 off the Internet from the US. This has suspension and larger 20" wheel option. It was sent as a gift so we did not get charged VAT. I got a new model 3 stroller, big wheel upgrade, travel bag and water proof cover for £265. The model 2 in the UK without a bag or cover is well over £300!

It is fantastic and goes everywhere with us. The brake pads supplied are not great, but I replaced these with good quality ones and it is fine now.

Dan
  • Ive got the Instep Nipper Stroller. Cost about £160 but a very good model. Has suspension and very smooth & stable, only 7kg. I reckon it only adds about 45 sec per mile to my speed and when there are no hazards I run almost alongside and one handed for that genuine "running action" feel!

The suspension works well, on routes where wheels up and down a bit due to path baby's head I've watched is almost unmoved.

Only problem, baby 9 mths and doesnt seem to like going for much more than 1 hour - any hints to keep them amused up to 90min or so?

Tim
  • a few suggestions:
    1) you can get small "buggy" books which attach to a pram/babyjogger
    2) buy a cycle bottle holder and use it to hold baby's bottle. I attached the holder to the upright on our babyjogger.
    3) buy some cheap rattles etc from a charity shop - that way it won't be grusome if you lose them!
  • Any experience out there of the Burley line of products? Look similar to the Chariot but looking for some feedback.

Cheers
    John
  • Can anyone tell me at what age they can start going in a baby jogger?

Cheers
  • Are there any that you can use from Birth? Or are they all six-months plus?
    Has anyone tried using the 3 wheel models by Land Rover and Mothercare? Are they OK.

By looking at this thread I gather that the basic thing to look for is big wheels and aluminium frame.
  • Don't think there are any you can use from birth. More to do with the baby having enough strength in the neck to hold their head while being bounced about in the chair at faster than walking speed.
  • I use a Trek jogger (must be good Lance Armstrong rides a Trek!) which i bought in NYC, the owners manual covered with warnings as only Americans can states not be used before weight of child = 9KG and six months of age. My son started off in jogger at 7 months and has been fine, usually asleep before we get past the first kilometre.

• if anyone wants a triple babyjogger! i have one that i don't use anymore
  • I'm not surprised you don't use it - sounds more like a babyjustaboutstagger!
  • I tried using a second hand double mothercare jogger (children were then birth and 28 months)and although it pushes well I gave up jogging with it. I still use the puschair for walking and think it is great for this, butit was just was not stable enough to cope with going up and down curbs constantly at speed and I was always worried it would tip especially with two different weight children. Off road the suspension is non existant.

I did however run with my first child from birth to 2 years using a teutonia jogger only stopping when I was 24 weeks pregnant with my seond quite sucessfully.

Always wished I had spent more on the double jogger
  • I now have a "fleet" of babyjoggers

No.1) A superjogger with 20" wheels modified for racing.

No.2) Babyjogger express (telescopic babyjogger) for everyday use

We have had a new arrival recently therefore
    No. 3) Double Nipper
    My children are 5, 2 and three months
    Main ambition is to run a marathon with one of them and perhaps do a 10k with a triple (can anybody lend me one?)

totally nuts or what?
  • My daughter was a month early so quite petite....now 5.5 months, around 13lb but good neck and back control. i have a new baby jogger ready to go but should i wait til 6 months....any wisdom welcome...

• Hi

We waited until my daugther was able to sit unaided before we took her out in the babyjogger. I read around the forums and some said wait until 4 months and others 6 months but the sitting unaided seemed to make sense witth the good back and neck control. She loves going out it in as well - doing a 10km race in a few weeks time.

Also found the footmuff from our pushchair fittted quite easily into the babyjogger.

Hope this helps.

• Hi,

thanks....that was my original thought....just surprised that others started as early as 4months. The icey weather is now dictating that i wait alittle longer anyway!!

• http://www.babyrunner.com/system/index.htm

Pat Read - Headington runners

if u cannot reach him- mail me - i know him well

I'll then contact him - and privetly give you his home address