Any else gutted with their FLM performance?

Think I over trained in particular pushing too hard on final long run 3 weeks ago. For whatever reason it just didn't happen on Sunday.

5 minutes slower than pb.

Felt great on that last long run which came after 4 weeks of reduced running through half marathon committments and injury. Am thinking of running another marathon at the 10th Anniversary Halstead Marathon on May 16th.

Anyone similarly frustrated and want to join me? We have after all put in a lot of training and should be able to capitalise...

Comments

• I wasnt happy with my race either
    next go on sunday
  • NeilH - if as you suspect your under par performance was due to overtraining do you not think that attempting another marathon in just 4 weeks time might exacerbate this? My advice would be to take a break now, but keep your body ticking over and then look to do another one later in the year...
  • You may be right Spans.

I just know that I felt great on that day 3 weeks ago and I'd had less rest then than I will now build into my schedule.

In an ideal world (from a running perspective) I would probably try and autumn marathon but I know that after (God willing) the birth of child numero uno in August I'll not be marathon running for a few years so really want to go out on a high.

You may be able to talk me out of it at the social - I'll see how my legs feel then!

(Well done you by the way!)
  • Neil...been there, done that!! Not this year but I know just how you feel and agree with Spans that it may be too soon to run Halstead and only open you to further disappointment...that's just how over training happens "I ran so badly today that tomorrow I'm going to try and run harder still"...a downward spiral from there.

Do you feel you ran FLM as hard as you could? If so then Halstead is too close imo...can you find a decent flat-ish race in say early to mid June? Blackpool maybe? Or perhaps the White Peak on 22nd May...an extra week's recovery at least?

• You could treat FLM as a final long run, recover for a week, do some reduced training and taper properly!
    I would be inclined to talk you into it. After Halstead you'll still have time to recover and then train for an autumn marathon.
  • Neil H...glad to hear i'm not the only one dissappointed with their performance! Was really confident on the day, even felt good although anxious...Training went really well with race times putting me well on track for 3:45...as early as 8 miles i realised it wasn't to be...heart rate bouncing up to 160bpm but pace was well below the norm...went downhill fm there and mentally (and physically)!! struggled for what seemed like an eternity...finished in 4hrs 07mins! Time to chill out for a while i think..."I'll be back" as i'm sure you will neil?
  • I was in the best shape ever and confident of a new PB somewhere around 3.20ish.

Got wound up at the start having to overtake 5/6hr+ celebrities. Went too fast on subsequent 2 miles out of frustration and ended up with bad stitch.

7 months of hard work and preparation down the tubes. And to top it all off, I didn't want the indignity of a DNF so I jogged around the latter stages for 3.50hr finish and buggered my chances of doing another one in the next few weeks.

I can't believ you can train sooooo hard for something and have it all go so horribly wrong! I'm in mourning for my training.... someone cheer me up?!
  • Ethel, I had a similar experience, dodging round joggers who somehow started in front of the pack. Was hoping for 3.25ish and at 4 miles seemed fine, then about mile 5 my left calf knotted up. I stopped and got it stretched and rubbed but it didn't clear.
    I should have stopped (I've been running long enough to know better) but with sponsorship riding on my run I continued at an ever slower pace. Finished in 3:41:55.
    Can hardly walk now and lovely red and purple bruises are forming on my left calf!!
    No running for a day or two.
  • Sorry Ethel but it all went wrong for me too, had really bad stomach cramp, but was determined to finish as I wasn't going to have a DNF and I had the charity to think of.
    I am planning on using the disappointment of sunday to train thru the summer for a October marathon and get the time there!
    The only highlight for me was the massage/stretch the lovely Australian girl did for me at the St Johns at the end!

• Looks like there's a lot of us from our sub 3:30 on here!!
    I did the classic "set off too fast" route. Felt absoluetly great for the first 10 miles. Then I got "barged" off the road by the 8 min mile pacers and followers at 11 miles and never really got going. (Not that it was there fault, just told me that I was getting slower already!)
    Ended up with 3:44 - 4 mins slower than last year...
  • Not upset with my time really - got 4.35 and was aiming for 4.30. I am annoyed that I had to walk for stretches and feel I could have done better. I think my tactics went out of the window after tower bridge.

....does this mean I'll have to do another one!??
  • Gutted with my time 3:58, but not my performance as I was injured and perhaps should not have run. I have absolutely no intention of running another marathon and would have liked my sole attempt to have been somewhere in between 3:30 and 3:45.

Worse thing is (my fault I know) is that I doubt I will be able to run much over the next few weeks, so planned assaults on 5K and 10K pbs look out of the window
  • Same story here wanted 4 hrs was bang on at half way then slowed for a mile and never picked the pace up again,i felt so good 3 weeks ago on my longest run as well,my pulse was fine 165 av but the legs just didnt want to go
  • Hoping for sub 3:30 (maybe a tad optimistic but 3:35 was on) and finished in 3:42. Still pleased as PB by 12 minutes, but I'm seriously thinking of having a crack at Lake V :o)
  • i'm much slower than you guys, however i was really pleased as i ran to mile 21 in 4hrs which is the fastest i've ever done the distance and was well on track for beating my 2002 time.

sadly both knees totally gave way and i had to hobble the remaining 5 miles. i got really panicky as i thought i'd have to pull out and loose all my sponsorship money.

the crowd really kept me going though even when i was limping along like the walking wounded.

i ended up chatting to a guy from yorkshire who was also bandaged up and dragging his leg along. he was aiming for a 3.5 hr marathon too and has already done a couple this year with 2 others planned. he just got seriously injured very early on and was just trying to get round to raise money. he must have been so gutted.
  • Glad I am not the only one who thinks they have to do it again :-)
  • Got 4.16.....not unhappy with that but was sure I could do under 4, although I had revised this when I actually got into my pen!
  • I'm gutted with my time too. I knew that this was going to be my one and only marathon so wanted to do about 4:45 although would have been happy with sub 5. Think I set off far too fast and sailed through 10 miles and felt good. It all went wrong after mile 19 and I came in at 5:12 in the end (with a 6 min toilet stop!!)

After all the hard training of the last few months and feeling strong and confident on runs only 3-4 weeks ago, I feel really disappointed that it didnt come together for me. I think it would have helped if I'd have had someone to run with.

I did enjoy the experience but it was not as ecstatic an experience as I thought it might have been.

I'm not going to be running much in the future, I've done what I set out to do, but I just wish I'd gone out on a bit of a high.

I need cheering up :(

• thats a brilliant time for a first marathon

Ad its quite normal to feel down after the marathon, whatever time you did

now go and enter the DK 10k, this is a prime time for pbs
  • Glad you said that about feeling down hippo, have wanted to cry all day and thought I was going mad!
  • Oh and thanks Birdypie. I thought I might see you but during the race I only saw one other forumite, which was a little dissapointing!
  • Its well recognised

im not too clever myself

its all to do with being hyped up for a goal for so long
    and then you are exhausted and empty

GET YOUR NEXT RACES PLANNED
  • didn't run this year but I was seriously peed off last year when I got 4:07 when I was after a sub 4.....everyone kept telling me I had done great and should be proud of myself for that time on a 1st (and so far only) marathon especially for a heavyweight 50 year old (then) - still heavy now older!

but it took me at least 2 weeks to come to terms with it and it made me realise 2 things:

I was proud of what I did

I will go sub-4 another time

bring it on!
  • Just entered Abingdon, has made me feel better!
  • AJH see you there then!