ISP providers...

Knowing how there is such a HUGE fountain of knowledge out there on the RW forums.....

Please could any of you give me your recommendations for a new ISP provider....?

Currently with AOL on broadband, and as they say..."AOL one click from hell".... certainly is the case! The software seems to be causing all sorts of conflicts within my PC.

I have heard that Nildram are really good anyone with a view, good or bad to share please?

Comments

• tiscali gets good reviews, my Freeserve ( now Wanadoo !!!) broadband hasn't given any trouble ( what have I just let myself in for !)
  • pipex have done me well, don't know about Nildram. "tiscali get good reviews" not sure about that, I'd bundle them with AOL.
  • plus.net
    also heard good things about nildram.
    and metronet for pay as you go bb.
  • I use demon at t'orifice as they host my web site and have been with them for years

at home I use plusnet - excellent service and never had a problem with their broadband offering

have a squiz on ADSL Guide - they list and compare ISP's
  • whatever you do - don't go with Tiscali. They are the absolute pits and if you go to the forums on the ADSL guide link that FB gave you you'll see many a tale of woe. It was thanks to those forums that I got the email address of the top person at Tiscali UK to get my complaints listened to and my account hopefully fingers cross - closed. Don't touch them with a barge pole. You have been warned
  • Eclipse Broadband. Excellent.

Before that was with Nildram dial-up for years - also very good.
  • I think Sarah's account is pretty much what I've heard about Tiscali. Don't have a good rep among the online community.
  • I've got NTL at home - and that's been perfect.
  • RW, I've just signed up with Eclipse but until Tiscali clear my phone line in hopefully 7-10 days I can't get my account activated.
  • I think it'll be worth the wait! I set up dial-up accounts with Tiscali to run my laptop at a friend's house and it was nothing but trouble - and they kept billing us for months after we'd cancelled the service!

By contrast the Eclipse service has run like clockwork for a couple of years now (sits back to await massive ISP failure...)
  • i like AOL

i know - i'm the only one so i'll go back and hide behind my paws over here.

• I'm on tiscali dial-up, can't be bothered with broadband, I never download anything and I don't like the idea of my connection always being on, even with a firewall.

And they've never given me a moment's bother.

They are a bit unecological with dishing out free cd-roms in mags, but to be honest I can't be ar$ed changing, I reallly can't.
  • Does anyone share their home broadband for two PC's or a laptop/PC? Any tips on which provider would be best for this?

PPB.
  • Thanks everyone! I had already discounted Tiscali from info locally!

M... AOL since being on broadband has caused me nothing but problems, I have persevered for a year 'cos of the contract issue, but just fed up with having to delete the network adapter 'cos web pages are not loading properly etc etc!

Thinking of going down either the NTL path or Nildram....
  • Tiscali's help desk is an absolute shambles too. If they can't answer your question they put the phone down on you.
  • Ping pong boy! Good question I would like some advice on that one too! ;o)
  • i know lots of people have trouble with it tiggers - i just wanted to put the other view. i've been with them for over a year and on broadband for over 3 months. once it was set up properly to interact correctly with norton internet security (took about 5 mins) i've never had any issues at all.
  • In defence of AOL their help desk is good, but there just seems to be problems with the software which they never admit to being down to them! Almost feel as if they want to be the "Microsoft/ Bill Gates" of ISP's!
  • We've presently got the AOL dial-up free 30 day trial and their help desk is an absolute joy, very quick and courteous.
  • ppboy & tigger
    networking your machines has nothing to do with your service provider...
    just the hardware you choose to hang off the end of your phone line.
  • ping pong boy, i suspect with most ISP's you can network your computers. I have AOL broadband and a router which can connect up to 4 computers (2 wired and 2 wireless) to the net at the same time. Seems to be working ok so far!
  • Doesn't really matter who your ISP is with regards running a couple of PCs off the line, just get a dsl router.
  • as Dodge said - get a dsl router and go from there for networking - probably wireless is the way forward now - is what I did.
  • I dont use my laptop at home, but when I am away, which is another consideration in choice of ISP. With AOL I can use my laptop on dial-up when away at no extra charge.
  • Thanks everybody for your response! :o) I knew the forums would be the best source of info.. :o)

Fat Buddha; the ADSL guide was really helpful, have narrowed my choice to either Nildram or Pipex. Will do further research tomorrow.....

:o)
  • I've had no problems with Pipex over the last 2 years. Excellent service.

If you want to link more than 1 device, I would recommend something like a Netgear DG834. This will give you the ability to link up to 4 devices (PC's, PS2, Xbox etc) via fixed cables but also give you a wireless option.

As regards to tiscali - avoid them like the plague. A friend of mine has just decided to join up with them and we've had nothing but problems. The helpdesk is in India and the problems we have had trying to get this problem resolved.

Bearing in mind that I am an IT bod, I've tried his modem at my house (doesn't work), my old modem at his house (does work), swapped all the cables and microfilters, tried 2 PC's etc etc etc... Do you think we can persuade them that there is a problem with the modem..?

Go with Pipex!

• Been with AOL for three years and changed to broadband a year ago. No problems. Never had to call anyone over anything. No connection problems.

I guess I'll get me coat.....
  • David Bailey 2! Thanks for that! :)

Its great to be able to get info from people like yourself!

I followed the link given by Buddha yesterday and did the comparison thing for ADSL, it also gave an opportunity to comment/answer some questions about your own ISP. I endeavoured to rate AOL clicked submit, I immediately got a message back saying that my rating would not be entered this month as I had already submitted one! I have NEVER done this and was curious whether the AOL software in some way prevents me from doing this?
    I had never visited the site in question before and therefore could never have left any sort of feedback!!

Vader.... I have had AOL for almost 4 years now both dial-up and broadband, but the last 6 months really have been problematic.... hence the decision to change!
  • I also use the Netgear DG834 router but the G version for faster wireless speeds as this one handles the 802.11g protocol.

worked straight out of the box with little setup needed

only thing to remember here is that it's not USB so you will need a network card for your main PC to hook up to it but can handle up to 4 wired PC's plus wireless and has a built in firewall.

can be had for less than £100 - loads of online sellers

• Bulldog Communications. Won consumer ISP of the year...have just signed up with them, cancelled tiscali as they are poor.