Going on Holiday in middle of marathon training

I'm doing a marathon in the autumn, and plan to follow an 18 week training schedule.

I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks in the middle of it, though, and I know up front that I won't be doing serious training during that holiday- 3 miles 3 times a week would be optimistic!!

My question is- should I adjust by starting the schedule a couple of weeks early to compensate, or should I just fiddle around with my long run programme so I'm not missing out drastically?

Comments

• By the way it's my first marathon. I'm only aimimg for a comforatble sub 5 hour finish, not aiming to break any records!
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I think you've got it right with just adjusting the long runs. I tended to only do v.long runs every two weeks anyway so it should be relatively easy to schedule them either side. They are the most important ones so don't worry too much about missing the odd bit of speed/tempo.

It would help if you don't just lie on a sunbed all holiday though! Any exercise that keeps the heartrate elevated for a while will help even if just walking.
  • Hi FF which marathon are you doing? Start your schedule a week or so early to cover injuries and this holiday.

I tend to do a fair bit of walking on holiday and like you fit in a few short runs usually before anyone else is out of bed.
  • I went away 4 weeks before London and got back 2 weeks before. I got a few runs in while I was away but couldn't really do more than 5 - 6 because of the heat.

I ended up missing out on long runs really so maybe if you reschedule any you miss out on you should be OK.

I also had to stop altogether for a full week due to a calf strain about half way through so I missed out on long runs then too.

Don't ware yourself out by trying to catch up on what you miss. A break half way through may be just what is required to keep your enthusiasm going.

I ended up improving my pb by 10 mins, although I didn't make my goal time.
  • Thanks for the feedback folks.

I have to say I've yet to complete a training programme without unscheduled breaks for colds or injury (thank God nothing major as yet).

So I think a bit of tweaking here and there should keep the schedule working for me.

Jane- I'm doing Loch Ness.I remember you saying you were going to do an autumn one- which one are you aiming for?
  • FF, I have also decided to run Loch Ness and aiming for sub 5 hours. I will also be taking a two week holiday in July.

I am going to concentrate on 10ks and halfs until Loch Ness, and do long runs on the weeks I am not racing and go for at least one very long run each month.
  • I went on holiday in the middle of my marathon schedule for Cardiff last year...couldn't do hardly anything for almost 3 weeks. I managed to pick it back up after we got home tho and got a PB at Cardiff (3.57).

Don't try and make up for missed miles, or you might get injured, just pick it up gently...you won't lose much.