northern social

Comments

• DD -I may well run to Exhibition park for the 5k, but not to Darlo :-)

Ian- thanks for that info, I'll look it up.
    As for 10k, there is the new Rrobin Hood 10k on 20 August, put on by Jarrow and Hebburn AC.
  • ooooooooo running company sounds good...i shall be in my fetch top so you wont miss me or the bear!

• IanRunner,
    there isnt normally problems getting on the day entries to the Darlington 10k. the race starts at 10.30 so if you want to enter on the day I suggest you be in the town centre about 9.30 to register.

• NS- I think other Ian was referring to on the day entries for the Exhibition park run, in answer to my query.
    Do keep up :-)
    Right then, proper footy starts in 20 mins.
    Sister in law's 60th tonight and the darlo, most likely with a hangover, tomorrow. See you there. (this time ! )
  • Well, Darlo was good fun and great to see NS PPB and DD there, too.
    Banana cake, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I managed to lose a shoe, too, which is a first for me. After running back to the car in the monsoon that broke out, I got my bag from the boot and lobbed it into the car, to get my towel and it must have fallen out then. Good job it was a fairly old pair.
  • oh yes, had to change out of my lovely Swiss Alpine marathon shirt :-(
  • Ian

tee shirt show offimage

the banana cake smelt good from here..................................

Been to docs this am for x rays results which were good news in one respect. No cartilage damage and surprisingly very little sign of any deterioration of the bone surfacing so all that road running has had no impact on my jointsimage

Bad news is no definitive diagnosis.image Best guess is that some inflammation in the ligaments had released chemicals into the knee which inflammed it and caused some reaction. Keep taking the tablets, let the swelling fully subside and gentle progression from then on..........................

............me gentle progression!!!

• TS,at least, as you say, there is some positive news.
    So, patience it is then , ha ha
    why can't I find any smileys to include ?
  • Ian

it's a secret societyimage

1. click on the url address line so that it turns blue
    2. insert a 1 after "/forummessages" and before ".asp
    3. the refresh button to the right will have turned to a green arrow, Click on it
    4. scroll down to the reply box and there is your new set of controls including smilies, number lists, bullets,  spell check and links all set out for you

doddle ehimage

• Blimey, I've spent 30 years in IT (or EDP as it was called back then) and it just  gets more complicated, not easier.

• 30 years in IT!?, I wouldn't admit that too loudly Ian, I've only been in IT for 20.

I managed an hour long run yesterday around the hills of Durham and I'm really quite pleased about that.
  • DD- well done on the run, that must be building up your confidence no end.

8 Aug 1977, I joined ICL as a graduate trainee. Another great british company that no longer exists. image

• *coughs...this little princess wasnt born until may 1979*

hi durham...you got the same time as me according to the results...so not all bad...

thank you once again for a thoroughly enjoyable run and great company/pacing...we should do it again some time...thats if you can stand it!
  • well, obviously my mental age is rather less than my physical age image

• Princess, I'm still smiling about the fact that I helped you to a 10k PB, I really enjoyed myself on Sunday I'm just worried that I'll not be able to keep up in future races!

Ian, I started my work in IT in March 1987 when I went to work for Digital in Reading and the rest, so they say, is history!

I'm definitely on a high after last night's run so far, touch wood, my Achilles is behaving itself an I'm planning a FLAT hour long run tomorrow evening if I get back from Leeds at a sensible time
  • well...ok...why have i been looking at 15km race!!!!!!!

yes DD you got me curious about this blackpool thingee.........not that i want to step on your toes or anything....

*floats off to carry on looking at possible races.....
  • Hi all

Glad to hear you are all going well, TS exceptedimage

Come on TS, you know you can be patient. I know from my experience how hard it can be, especially when you seem to keep getting so far & then getting knocked back again.

Pleased you all had a good time at Darlo, shame I couldn't have been with you. Glad you got some banana cake this time Ian

Welcome to Ian Runner, it's going to be very confusing having 2 Ian R's

My recovery is still continuing patiently (TSimage), have got upto just under 6 mile. Still hopefully doing my 1st 5K next week.

• Hi Princess,

I would love to see you at Blackpool, the only problem is that it's the week before the Scarborough 10 mile so I don't know if you'd want to do both.

I didn't manage my run last night after having a 12 hour day at work (mostly in West Yorkshire) I just didn't have the motivation to get out, I'm doing it tonight instead now :-)
  • will seriously consider it DD-the course at scarborough is actually quite off road and if its been raining not a good one to do as i lack proper feedback at times....also aiming for 8miles something by mid october is probably more realistic than aiming for 10miles.....as for scarborough i am actually considering the fun run as an option  a gentle 2.5mile something or being a marshall on course.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......decisions......but blackpool does appeal....and im owed a day so can have a long weekend with a saturday off.....are you really sure you wouldnt mind me heading to blackpool to be gently paced with great company to a new pb image

• Go for it Princess, although 15k is nearly 10 miles (it's only 1 km off) we're staying at friends in Blackpool on the saturday night and the illuminations are on that weekend, which I have never seen, so it should be a great weekend.

I managed a 10 mile run yesterday, my right thigh is tight, but my Achilles seems to be holding up fine.
  • DD- glad to see that you are on the mend.

I'm off running at present, it seems that i have a problem with the tendons in my left leg and physio has given me a stern "NO" to running for a bit. As I managed about 100yards on Friday, I'm hardly likely to disobey her image

• OUCH Ian!!!!

you'd better rest as long as you need to. 

Look after yourself

• crock alert-

second physio visit yesterday, leg still feeling bruised from Saturday's visit. Much less painful this time and was allowed out for a couple of miles, with only minor discomfort, so I'll try a little further tonight and see how it goes.

• I know 15km is nearly 10miles but it isnt quite 10miles! (FEMALE LOGIC)

so if I look for a b&b for Saturday night but arrange to meet and do something...perhaps pasta with your friends too? (doesnt want to be stuck in blackpool on her own)....roughly where in blackpool do you friends live so I can hunt for a location nearby.....I have managed to book the Saturday off so I can travel in the mroning and relax in the afternoon....I haven't seen the illuminations since I was a kid so should be fun.

I did 8.5km run on treadmill yesterday in 65mins...I am definately not as quick on treadie but getting there...over the next few weeks I can notch it up a few km but the problem is that the treadmill time limit is 65mins so its stopping and then starting over so to speak..unless I can set the treadmill for the distance I want to cover.........mmmm play time I think......

off to Hull tomorrow tih marion to visit 'The Deep'....this afternoon was spent in the cinema watching harry potter and the order of the pheoniximage I am part way trhough the half blood prince book and not anywhere near the last one just yet so dont tell me!

dd if you could email at some point it would be good...will send my entry off asap...worse case is i run 7.5km walk half km then run the rest......

• latest crock alert - leg was improving through last week, and started running gently. Broke down on the Town Moor and had to limp and hop home image

Back to physio again this monring. Not running for the rest of the week to try and sort it.

Hope everyone else is faring betterimage

• Hello quiet Northern peeps. What are you all up to ?

I've had 2 weeks off with bad hamstring, but been out for the last three nights, as allowed by the physio, so I am cautiously optimistic. image

• Ian

I can echo your progressimage - apart from running for the last three daysimage

Highlight has been some days down in Bournemouth seeing my young nephews who live nearby, teaching them board surfing and knackering my knees even further running with them on soft sand - worth it though.image

PPB

just run the 10k on the treadie in 65 minutes - sorted!!

Baz

good progress from you - I will be back!!

• Hi all

Thought I better get this thread going again

I have now officially joined a new club down here on the Wirral, Wallasey Athletic Club.

Did my 5K last month in a steady 21:19 & no ill effects. Have also done a couple of multi-terrain events & have extended my long runs upto 7.3 miles. Fingers crossed, the injuries are behind me again.

Hope everybody is well & training is going to plan

• Hi Baz

Good to hear from you, and that things are going well.

I'm sure there is a club in your area with green and white hoops like mine, in fact I thought it was the Wirral.

Hopefully my hamstring is sorted now, and I will be trying my first long run over the weekend to test it. I realised when I was out running  alittle earlier that Amsterdam marathon is a month today, eek !