northern social

Comments

• PPB - sorry to hear about your injury, but glad to hear that you are on the mend

I did the Benidorm marathon yesterday, in 3:32. I have managed to reck my left hamstring again, and have an astonishing pain on the outside of my right knee.

Apart from that it was a very good event, although i would hate to go to benidorm when it is busy. It is just a mass of skyscrapers and so called British pubs. Not my odea of a holiday.but nice and quiet at this time of year.

• evening all,

PPB, you doing the Loftus Poultry run, I'll see you there, hope your injuries are healing alright as its a good run.

Ian,

Iwas in benidorm on holiday a couple of years ago and must agree about the skyscrapers. Did you visit the old town, its a nicer part of Benidorm.

Got my acceptance magazine this morning to confirm my place in next years London Marathon. Did it in 2005 and when I got to the finish I swore it would be the last one as I had done the distance so didnt have to do it again ......ever

next year will be my 4th

kind of gets you hooked this distance running.

• Oh and forgot to mention that last Monday my daughter made me into a grandad when she had a lovely little boy.

7lb 6oz, both mother and son fit and well.

Its a tremendous feeling, holding your first grandchild, on par with when my daughter was born.

• NS - many congrats on being  a grandad. You will now be a handy source of babysitting !

well done on your FLM acceptance too. I am planning to go and do the Enschede marathon In Holland again on that day, assuming my legs recover from last Sunday of course image

• Ian,

my daughter lives about 30 miles awayfrom me, her mum lives about 1 mile away from her so guess who will get most of the babysitting.

• Anybody doing the Newcastle Santa Run (or limp in my case)  on Saturday ?

I've tried my santa suit on and it would be a great fit if I were 6'6" and about 40 stone. Happily I am neither.

I might stuff a pillow inside, and really do the thing properly.

• I did that run last year Ian, it's a good laugh but I decided not to enter this year.

Quick tip for you:  make sure you wear a pair of running shorts under the santa trousers as they do have a tendency to fall down when running.

Enjoy it!!

• Loftus Poultry Run

Just come across this thread while trying to find out more about this event. I live near Stokesley so this is one of my ' local' events but one I haven't done before. I'd be grateful for any information on what to expect - mud? rain? hills? etc. What distance is it? The organisers seem very coy about whether its 7 or 8.

I have already entered and was very impressed with the organisation as my number, 250, came by return post. From experience, though, its more common that club events should be well organised than a lot of so called ' major' races. I had problems at Cardiff this year and at Edinburgh last so am already impressed by this race.

• Hi Bill, welcome to our fairly somnolent thread. can't help you with the Poultry run, it's a bit out of my territory.

DD - you were right about the trousers. I spent most of the run clutching the trousers in one hand, and my jacket and disintegrating number wth the other.

It was great fun though, particularly trotting through the treets where I live, to and from the start. Got a football at the end too, which is nice image

Must have been a short 4k as well. I was just trotting briskly to avoid doing any more damage to my hamstring (anmd failing as it still hurts)  and finished in 16:38.

Certainly a one for next year, and I will prepare my suit rather better.

• Hi Bill,

the poultry run is approx 7.5 miles, a mix of road, trail, cross country, a hilly course that I think the organisers call challenging.

Its a good well organised event that I will be running in again this year, some people run in santa outfits.

See you there.

• Thanks for the warning, it confirms some of my fears about this event. Something described as ' challenging' is usually hard work but I would like to do a final run before the end of the year and this is local and looks different so here goes. I will not be running in Santa costume. I will be wearing number 250 so maybe see you there. In the meantime, will have to get a few more miles & hills under my belt this week.

Good Luck

Bill

• Hello Bill,

I'm the guy who sends out the numbers image

The race is

1.75 miles up hill

0.75 miles steep down a muddy field

1.25 miles up a hill

0.75 miles steep down hill

1.5 miles steep up hill

1.9 miles down hill all the way to the finish

Brass Band playing Xmas carols, mince pies & wine at the finish and a memorable presentation ceremony if you can hang around at till 12:30. Its a real blast.

• and a chance to see a royal wearing her pjs in public!
  • A new look slimline princess in pyjamas,  a sight to see
  • a sightt to see indeed image

I hope you all  enjoy it. I shall be testing out my much physio'd hamstring this weekend, with  a  view to a stately plod around the Saltwell 10k a week on Sunday.

Just back from work Xmas Chinese lunch.  Strange, but true. Hopefully, work will not intrude in the next hour or so, hic!

• I'll see you at Saltwell Ian,

I'm also registered for next year's Berlin marathon image

• Poultry Run course update.

The bits over the fields are frozen solid so take care where and how you put your feet on the ground.

There may also be some slippery bits on the roads as well.

But we think the weather is going to be the same tomorrow as it is today.

Somewhere around 500 participants.

Should be fun.

• Great , thanks for the update. If its anything like today, conditions will be ideal for a winter run- dry,frost on ground and no wind , but cold. These are about my favourite training conditions of the whole year, always come back with a glow after a run just now, especially on the Yorkshire Moors. Tomorrow should be a good day, especiallty as, with a hamstring twinge, I don't have to be as competitie as usual so should be able to enjoy the day. There'sw always an amazing amount of competitiveness in the over 55 part of a race.

Good luck

• Poultry run report,

got round faster than I expected, thecourse is "challenging" with a seemingly never ending first uphill stretch, a downhill section through a farmers field, more uphill through a village and a steep single path, got to the highest point on the course then it was a long downhill section to the finish line.

Took 1 hr and 7 mins for the 8 mile course, really pleased with my time as it was 4 minutes faster than my last poultry run in 2005.

Met up with Sodahead and Princess plus a couple of fetch runners.

Nice Pyjamas Princess !

• You forgot to mention the piles of farm muck and the chance to race through an actual , muddy farmyard. Bothg were firsts in my running career. Seriously though, a great race , not sure which was worse, the first half or so , almost entirely uphill , the offroad sections, especially the uphill bit near Boulby or the long downhill.

Well pleased with my time of 57 mins 45 and even managed to sprint and overtake at least one Santa at the finish.

Congratulations and thanks to all involved in organisation.

• Results (and photo's) are up at Loftus AC and New Marske Harriers web sites.

Glad you enjoyed the race.

At the front of the race we had one of the best fields in recent times - 3 previous winners plus 3 England internationals.

I have survived the trauma of the computer timing the finish for everyone bailing out at runner 400.

Where's the refreshments......

..... the strong refreshments

• Sodahead,

A big thanks to you and all the people involved, marshals,starter, finish area team etc, for a well organised race.

Even the weather was kind to the runners, cold but dry.

• Its nearly time for Santa to pay us all a visit so I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

• Hello everyone.

Does anyone know of any races in the North East in the next two or three months?

I can only seem to find the ones on New Years Day. Its my first time running at this time of year so is there any regular ones at this time of year?

thanks

Ian.

• Hi Ian,

If there is nothing in the events section of this website then try the following site as he has a lot of races that dont make it onto here

http://www.ukresults.net/

good luck with your first race in 2008 , I'm getting ready for my last of 2007, the Ripon runners Jolly Holly jog 10k

• spooky, i posted a merry Christmas greeting a few days ago, and it's not there !

In which case, I will take the opportunity of wishing everyone all the best for the forthcoming year,  which I will be starting with the Town Moor Resolution Run, a mud -filled extravaganza.

• Morning all,

hope everyone has had a good New Years eve and I wish all my Friends a Happy New Years running with no injuries and lots of P.B's

• stirs the tumbleweed across the thread.................

Happy New Year folks - hope you all have a year of PB's and injury free running.

I got caught by the great green snot producing bug on Boxing Day so that was an ideal way to end an injury wracked year - this one can only be better - can't it?????