northern social

Comments

• Blimey TS - you do suffer don't you ? I do hope 2008 is a lot better for you.

I'm off to Cuba next week, hoping that my dodgy hamstring is now all well again. Hopelessly unfit, so an off road uphill marathon through a jungle in heat and humidity will be interesting.

• enjoy Cuba, Ian.

DId you make it to the town moor yesterday?

TS, look after yourself and relax!

• Hi DD, no, although I had an entry, I didn't fancy the Town Moor in the conditions, but had an hour's run out near Weetslade, mostly off road , but not in mud !
  • Ian

Cuba eh - hand rolled cigars on the inside of a dusky maidens thigh - an urban myth I am assured but it sounds much better than the realityimage

you should be well prepared for the wet if not the heat !!!

I just completed the stats in my log book. Last year I had done 18 weeks where the mileage was <9 miles and still manged to do 1261 miles!!!! Target for this year is to do a few more weeks at slightly higher mileage rates..............................................................

• my yearly miles for 2007 was just over 400 and i was quite impressed!

got a stonking 5km pb dec 27th....took 6mins22secs off my time from last year for the course...finished in a cracking time of 31:01! but ironically still managed to finish last in the race...but there were 50 fewer runners than last year.

currently full of cold and feeling yuck and still nursing a poorly bunny who has had a urinary tract infection..anti-biotics made a big difference but he has now sussed all the bribes to get him to swallow it from the pipette thingee....got a fantastic tip from the vet today...seems its very bitter so if you dunk the pipette in honey once it has the medicine in he will take...and guess what...no battle tonight! just want us both to be fit and well....ringing the vets on tuesday with an update...we need nice clear piddle rather than pink/orange piddle (for the bunnykins not me!)

oh and happy new year to you all x x ximage

• > comes into thread and makes lots of noise to wake up fellow northern socialites!!!!!!

Hello???????

> awaits empty echo.........

OK where are you all?  image

• PPB

hard at training ........................least that's wot some would call itimage

Hope bunny has recovered ......... and that you have got over cold - nasty stuff if it was like the one I had between xmas and new year.

as you have seen its BM on Sunday - worrying little preparation on my part so its get me round time only...........................................I hope!!

• Happy New Year All!

Like Torque Steer, I'm trying to get some miles under my belt ready for Rome Marathon in March. Just wondered , is anyone doing the Love Run in Gosforth on February 9th? I did it a couple of years ago but not sure about this time. It may be my only race before we go off to Italy so keen to find out what interest is like

Can sympathise with Princess and her cold , still trying to get over mine which followed on from norvirus. Nothing like getting it all over in one go..

• Hello Bill and TS

THe bunny is sort of better-we had 9days of anti-biotics and his bladder returned to its normal density however we still have pink piddle image ooooooo the Love Run sounds interesting..when/where/distance etc would be useful.

Im much better-had a little bit of a rattlie chest but haven't been floored by it nor did I need my inhaler/anti-biotics to shft it or manage it. Just parted company with my gym (disagreement with manager who then turned very rude with me). Went to look at nice posh place which isn't any further away by foot but has lots of lovely facilities but would be £15 a month more...oh decisions decisions!

TS I may get to catch up with you at BM-Im not running as didnt get in but buses etc permitting I should get over to see you finish and then fall into a pub or something.

• Hi there Princess , an update for you

Love Run is usually at Gosforth Park artound the area of the racecourse and has been a two lap 10k race over multi terrain - ie a bit of road, some woods and a climb up a hill in a park. It usually takes place around Valentine's and is organised by a charity called PPUK ( now called Action Duchenne) so its in a very good cause. There are usually events in London , Cardiff , Manchester and Newcastle. I did it about two years ago and found it a really good, friendly event , well organised- maybe because it had been very frosty so the cross country wasn't in the least boggy.

After all that, anyone else thinking of doing it?

• PPP

I 'll be the really old git towards the back so you will have a long wait!!image

Bill
    I suspect it will be  a bit boggy this year around Gosforth Park!!

• TS I still have to find my way from the train station to racecourse yet! dont worry as long as I have coffee I dont mind a wait!
  • Greetings all, on my return from Cuba.

What an amazing place. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will certainly go back.

I'll need to gloss over the race, as a stupid choice of shoe and sock for the walking recce of the course, made an amazing mess of my heels, which meant I was in flip flops for the rest of the week, so I did a bit of marshalling instead of running. This will indicate just how steep the course was in places.

The cigar factories are shut for most of January, but we did see a demo in one of the many rum factories we visited. Most interesting, but no dusky maidens' thighs were involved. In saying that, after the first few rum factories, it was difficult to be sure about anything.

I have also now had the dubious delight of flying in an Ilyushin, as the US Government had managed to get the lease cancelled on Cubana's shiny new Boeings. It was quite an eye opener  just how much the US Govt hate Cuba and everything it stands for and will do anything to disrupt them. Particularly as the Cubans that I met have nothing against Americans and welcome their visits (although it is illegal and you cannot fly direct from the USA).

Roll on Portugal training camp in March .

• Ian

good to have you back - sounds like an entertaining trip apart from the heels - and an absence of dusky maidens thighsimage

Ran the Brass Monkey on Sunday in a mercifully rain free interlude in 1:42;30 off minimal training and actually quite enjoyed it - complete with negative split as I went off fairly cautiously not being sure I would get to the end!!!

No sign of PPB - she must have been hiding behind a lamp postimage

• TS I was there.....at the finish with a big gob yelling in fetchies who I spotted in their tops....small person in blue waterproof jacket and stylish purple hat image

Sorry didn't see you...perhaps I need to find a race and head north....if I can find a floor etc.....

• OK where are you all hiding???????????????????????image

Im getting really worried about the lack of northern interest in the northern social thread......this just isn't good enough guys..come on your thread needs you!

love ppb and bunny xx

• Hi PPB

Not hiding anywhere, It's weeks before I next head off in search of the sun image

Making a gradual return to regular running after my hamstring problems and also now 3 weeks into the post Cuba/Christmas weight loss programme. Results so far positive, if slow.

Looking forward to a race, but not sure what is around at present. Must look harder. 

• North Tyneside 10k Ian, March 23rd - looks good image
  • Hi DD, I booked for this so early, that my number for it is 008  !
  • I can beat that Ian,

my number for the Blackpool marathon this year is................

• wow, no pressure there then image
  • mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you heard the call then image Well...that sounds interesting.....10km in march.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm.........anyone got any details....6weeks to get some decent training in....perhaps an option.......................................depends on accomodation etc as usual....grrrrrrrr!
  • Hello quiet northern peeps.

How are we all doing ? I've just been booking some running trips, always good fun. Off to Potugal for training camp a week on Thursday. Then Enschede marathon at the end of April, Swiss Alpine marathon end of July, and rounding off with Toronto at the end of September.

Miles are building up nicely now, but weight still not coming off, one out of two's not bad thoughimage

• Hi everyone

Bet you all thought I had disappeared off the planet Just been trying to catch up with the last couple of months thread. Hope you are all feeling ok & running well.

I have had a mixed bag of fortune, was going quite well & getting the fitness back, then had slight hamstring strain, so slowed up for a few weeks, but hopefully getting back again now. Am doing the Liverpool 1/2 on Sunday, probably only looking at about 1:35, but we shall see.

On the personal front, wedding plans in full swing now. We are getting married on 16th May in Lindos in Rhodes. Lots of paperwork to be done & had Thomas Cook change a flight time that nearly caused a problem, but all ok again now. We only get back a couple of days before Raby, so not sure if I will make our annual meeting this year.

• Hi Baz, good to hear from you, and great news on the impending nuptials.

I've got the White Peak Marathon the week before Raby, but I hope to be there, for a trot round and the possibility of some banana cake image

• WAHEYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! imageimage
  • Hi

Did Liverpool last weekend. A bit blowy, but not as bad as had been forecast. Did 1:33:18 for 281st place, so very pleased, a couple of minutes better than I had planned.

• Baz, that sounds good.

I am just returned from a splendid 10 daya training in the Algarve, covering about 130 miles in all, including a mile time trial, 8k XC, various track and hill sessions and long runs. It were grand, and now I am suffering from man flu, Good job it waitied till I got home.

Hope I'm OK for the North Tyneside 10k on Sunday, certainly no running for a few days though.

• Anybody do the NT 10K ?

I did, rather stupidly, as I was still suffering a lot and managed 51mins, about 10 mins slower than last year, and felt awful. Common sense would say that I shouldn't have done it, but when did that count for much image

• Hello Ian,

I was there, took it steady as I met up with a friend who I hadn't seen for over a year and she wanted to get under an hour so I ran round with her and we finished in 59:29.

I'm well on my way for this year's Blackpool marathon which is 4 weeks on Sunday image, I'm up to 19 miles for my long run (well, I should be, but I wimped out after 10 last Sunday).

Look after yourself Ian!