Sub 2:30, Anybody up for it?

Comments

• 2003 Top List Marathon (Women)

Well, we have fast times in ...

Beijing 2:19:39 (Mid October)
    New York 2:22:31 (Early November)
    Chicago 2:23:07 (Mid October)
    Tokyo 2:24:47 (Mid November)

Hence, New York mentioned twice in top ten (Okayo/Ndereba), however if you add up Sun's and Zhou's time, Beijing seems faster, but there is more money to be earned in the ING NYC. After the Olympics maybe all the stars are too knackered to run another marathon, would be worth knocking on Alan Steinfeld's door! He accomodates all the top elites usually in The Plaza at south Central Park, you don't get that very often :)

Berlin (2:26), Amsterdam (2:28), Dublin (2:27), LaRochelle (2:31) and Frankfurt (2:29) mentioned far down the list. Florence and Abgindon not mentioned :)
  • Lets hope that the 2:30 thread sees as many PBs as the 2:45 thread did at London. Well done to all of you that made it there.

Like most of you, I am targeting London next year. (hopefully getting the championship qualifying time in September or October). Haven’t yet decided whether to go for a ‘decent’ time this year, or just do enough to get in the FLM. Definitely want to do lots of shorter races over the coming months though.

I’ve had niggling injuries since my failed marathon at Luton, so have managed to put on a bit of weight. I’ve started daily gym sessions to try to stretch & strengthen various muscles (mainly calves). I think it is working, but my legs are really sore at the moment, so I’m doing minimal running. That should improve over the coming weeks.

Like last year, I will probably do a few Autumn marathons as long training runs……so if any of you are running UK marathons later this year, I’ll probably see you there!
  • Re: 10K training

I had a quick look back through my training diary for Oct-Nov 1988!! Aged 22 (just prior to running a sub 30 10K).

It was about the time when I first started running 3 times per day – but I think the key to my improvement was training consistently over a number of weeks. A typical week would be:

Monday 5 miles / 5miles / 7 miles
    Tuesday 5 miles / 5miles / track session
    Wednesday 5 miles / 5miles / 7 – 11 miles
    Thursday 5 miles / 5miles / 7 mile tempo run or track session
    Friday 5 miles / 5miles / 7 miles
    Saturday 5 miles / X-country race (or fartlek in morning if not racing)
    Sunday 15- 20 miles / sprint drills / 7 miles

Thursday evenings would be either a tempo run with clubmates (usually approx 5m/m for the last 3 or 4 miles) or a track session that I would do alone:
    30 x 200m (100r). The key to this session was to make the recovery short (i.e. keep running through – don’t slow to a jog). Over the two months, the average rep time fell from 34secs to 32secs.

Tuesday would be the main group sessions – typical ones would be:
    16 x 400 (100r) Oct average 71secs / Nov average 67secs
    6 x 800 (200r) Nov average 2:14
    5x1K (200r) / 6x200 (100r) October 2:55 & 32secs / November 2:50 & 31secs
    The total distance of reps was typically only 5–7 K
  • You must have been unemployed back then to fit in all those sessions!
  • Smashy - word is that Abingdon is a very fast course, but it is not one providing financial reward hence the times not being very fast.
    If you want a pay day it is a no-no (but check if they pay for a course record), but if you just want the time, it should be ideal...
    Also, many of us (TT, BR & me for starters) are doign Abingdon too. We could be your pacemakers!!

Welcome home, TT!
  • TT, that is some awesome training! Do you think you need to do 3 sessions a day to get to that standard? Someone I know in the know says that 80-90 miles per week is perfect for a fast 10k - others disagree. I think I would be happy with around 80 per week.

Did my first real quality session tonight and felt surprisingly fresh - 4 x 6 min with 2 min recovery followed by 2 x 3.5 min with 2 min recovery with some good company. Worked pretty hard.
  • And Pantman, it's pretty unlikely that I will do Abingdon - especially as I think there is only a week between that and Chicago! But maybe I will have to come and leer you all on!
  • Smashy, I think that I needed to train 3 times a day to get towards the standards that I wanted. (At least the lunchtime session kept me out of the pub!).

Of course, many much better runners only do doubles (maybe pushing some sessions harder).

One benefit I found with the triple sessions was that it seemed to speed the recovery from hard racing/training.

• Paying the price of doing too much too soon after FLM.
    Took it easy(ish) for the first week, then back to 80 miles inc doubles and a rep session.
    Not injured, but knackered, so having day off plus a few easy days.
    10k in a weeks time, so that will tell if I'm over doing it.
    Smashy, 80 miles a week sounds about right. Think I'll stick to about that for now.
  • It's easy to do, isn't it Pete. You have a couple of weeks easing down, then maybe 3 weeks recovery, so you only get in one really good run in 5 weeks around a marathon.

• BR, I agree with you there - As far as taking a rest is concerned, I think that if you include the taper and the week after the marathon, you have had an easy month. I am far from perfect, as the week I got back to training I hammered all but 3 of my 63 miles - didn't actually do a speed session as such, just ran as hard as I could - not really to be recommended!
  • Long runs?
    Do you take these steady, easy or what?
    I tend to run out and back routes 18 - 20 miles. Steady out and hammer it back at about 5.45 pace.
    Would be interested how others treat their long run.
  • Bye the way, changed name as sad ba****ed at work was looking through history trying to find my posts.
    Anyone raced today?
  • Alternate long and easy with long with 60-90 mins @ just slower than MP in the middle.
  • Similar to mine then, except you run faster in the middle rather than end.
    Cheers BR
  • Rundown, you're probably going about it the right way - I think without planning, I tend to run mine pretty hard most of the time with an easier one every 4 weeks.
  • Smashy, When you say hard, do you mean around mp? and is there an advantage to doing one at a steady pace now and again.
  • My "hard" transpires to be around 20/30 seconds slower than my predicted new marathon pace. So, right now, I am trotting along around 5.58-6.08 pace (without intention, it has to be added). This is what happens after I have run a marathon - my legs seem to remember what speed I ran the last marathon at and then carry on ata similar sort of pace, allowing me in theory to move onto a safe new predicted time. Don't ask me about steady running cos this is just what I do!
  • I normally do it by time (mostly offroad so distance / pace isn't the best thing to measure). I know what the guys from my club will be doing (normally 90 mins) and then run extra beforehand. When I meet them the pace ups a bit from easy to steady, and themn they tend to pick it up through their run which suits me fine.

Typically do up to an hour extra, so I will do up to 2 hours 30.
  • I've been lurking as well, a bit like URR: just interested to hear what you've all got to say. I did 2:50 this year, 3:10 last year, so by that reckoning I should be ready for 2:30 next year!! (except I know it doesn't work like that). However I am hoping to go sub 2:40. Like most of the posters here I am looking to work on my 10k time - it's 36:19 at the moment (v old); I'm looking to take about 2 minutes off that by the end of the summer. Then I'll try for a sub 75 min 1/2 for a championship place while putting up the mileage, and hopefully build up to about 80 mpw next Jan - March (did 60 mpw this year).

In terms of lowering my 10k time, some workouts that I have found that sound good are 5 x 2k at 10k pace with 90 sec recoveries, 6 x 1k at 10 seconds per k faster than 10k pace with 60 sec recoveries and, the week before the 10k, a 5k run at 10k race pace. Did the first of these last week, running each 2k rep in 6:50, and it was one of the hardest sessions I have ever done.
  • anyone racing this weekend?
    I've entered my local 10k, just to see how things are going. Sub 33 would be great at the moment. 34 and I've got lots of work to do.
  • Races?

Did a pw 5k 2 weeks after FLM (17:19) just to get points for the club in a T+F league,then a 3.75 mile hilly race last Weds.

Like you Pete, got a low profile 10k on Sunday. Would be disappointed but accept in the circumstances 34+. 35+ and I cry:) PB (33:41) and I get excited..
  • County champs this weekend RD! 5000m for me on the Saturday. Surprised you didn't fancy it!

Are you talking about Sudbury or BA 10k on the Sunday? I've got to return the cup I won at BA last year, but am not sure if I fancy trying to retain my title. Based on previous results I'd expect you to win the Sudbury race.
  • BR, It'll be interesting how it goes.
    MikeB, Not sure which one, as I'll go on a late entry.
    Didn't know about the champs. I normally get picked for Middx, but have not run many 5k races.Are you doing a 5k sat and poss a 10k Sunday?
  • BR, 2 weeks after London isn't easy, so not too bad result I would have thought
  • This is about the right weekend to start putting down `markers' isn't it?

28 days post FLM, so it should just about have left our legs and any race should give us a target to try and better over the summer.

Last year I'd run like a fanny up to the Beverley 10k,then suddenly pb'd out of the blue. Would be nice to do the same this time.

Pete,we were short of a runner. At least I didn't try and become AFD's version of Daley Thompson:)...
  • I'll tell you Sun eve,Good or bad!
  • Pete - I did it last year - won the county champs on the saturday and the 10k on the sunday, and the county champs is worth doing anyway, not just from the point of team selection!
  • I am doing county champs Saturday - won 3000 last 2 years,but young upstart (U20) ran 9.46 two weeks ago will be competing - might have to put in a bit of work! Do I sacrifice a good training session tomorrow night with the goal of a good 10k a week sunday or do I take it easy and get a 3k PB?