Options

Sub 2:30, Anybody up for it?

Comments

• Options
    MikeB,
    Just chatted with coach about county champs.
    Didn't realise they were track.
    I never really do track racing, don't even train on one.
  • Options
    Smashy,
    I suppose it depends on which is more important to you.I would have thought that you could do well at both.
  • Options
    Smashy - I'd have said train through it, then let her do all the work on sat, and go at 600 out.

600 is a long way for an U20 to sprint from, and if your move is decisive enough to catch her by surprise she won't get back to you.
  • Options
    Well, after a bleep test yesterday and various other tests, I didn't really do my running training yesterday, so kind of a day off! Feel more inclined now to train through with hard session tonight, 2 sessions today and tomorrow, and pray that I can win on Saturday! I think your tactics sound good, MikeB, just don't know whether I will be disciplined enough to let her do the work - I am not very good at sitting in behind runners. But I may give this a go as long as she is going at the pace I want her to.
  • Options
    Hope everyone's races went well.

I managed my slowest 10k time since 1/1/02 today - 35:37. It was hot but in the same race last year 4 weeks after FLM I did 35:08.

Anyone else still recovering from 4 weeks ago?
  • Options
    Totally agree BR, too hot for racing.
    OK time for 10k 33.51, but missed winning by about 3 seconds. There again, the winner runs a 2.26 marathon, so out of my league.

Feel fairly much recovered. Ran 72 miles this week.
  • Options
    I won my 10k in 34:12. Sit and kick job, since I'm fairly confident of my kick against most people of my standard.
    Who was the winner of yours and which did you do Pete?
  • Options
    I took 8 seconds off my 3k PB and won by 53 seconds 9.47.2 - fairly happy for now - achieved what I wrote down I needed to achieve.
  • Options
    MikeB
    Don't know the winners name, but ended up running the Sudbury court 10k

Well done Mike & Smashy on your wins
  • Options
    RD, I ran the same miles as you this week. Still looking at everyone's 10k times with complete envy.
  • Options
    From one extreme to the other........

Tomorrow I'm doing my first 800m race in about 4 or 5 years. PB to beat is 2:06, will be tough after the marathon but here goes!!!!!
  • Options
    I'd like to do this. My 1/2 marathon time is 1:42, so all I need to do is learn how to do the second half in 48 minutes. Are there any good training programs for a 48 minute half marathon? :-)
  • Options
    Only down the side of everest!
  • Options
    Hope everyone's training is going OK. Sounds like you are all doing 10K stuff currently.

I've been getting 100-120mpw in most weeks and will be trying a little bit of 10K work over the next few weeks (to help me mop up the lactate as I go over the hills in the North Downs 30K) - that is the highest "quality" work I have done since I started running again, so I am a bit nervous.

Did a marathon pace session on the track in the heat this week and was clocking 6'08" pace. Stupidly forgot HRM, so I can't be 100% sure the effort was right, but am 90% sure. If so, with 5 months to go till Abingdon and plenty of weight to shift still, I'm looking on course for the 2:30, I think. That is about 30secs/mile I have dropped in the last month. It seems the long miles are paying off.
  • Options
    Pantman, You seem totally committed, so I reckon all being well, you're "on track" for Abingdon. Well done!

I did Manchester today - my first focused 10k in that it took place for the first time on a Sunday. Did 3 hard sessions between Tuesday - Thursday - finally collapsed in a heap on Friday from exhaustion, and thinking that 5 easy yesterday would leave me recovered for today, I headed up to Manchester. Splits went
    3.19 (felt great) a little alarmed I was with the leaders, best slow down
    3.14 (felt great) - oh well...
    3.47 (felt fine) can allow for that - there was a hill and it was windy and I was on my own
    3.19 (acceptable)
    3.32 - arrived at 5k at the time I wanted to - 17.02
    Send 5k - downhill all the way - passed by 4 brits!
    Still, a 50 second PB on what was apparently a hard course, on a windy and hot day. 35.27. Was I happy? Was I heck! So, target to take of 45 seconds a 10 - 5 more to come before I resign myself to being a marathoner!
  • Options
    Well done, Smashy! Seen you on BBC2, Craig Mottram just attacked Tadesse when he passed you! From my experience you need to a few 10k's to "learn the distance". After 35:42/35:19/35:59, finally today did 35:15 in an off-road event!
  • Options
    Well done Smashy. I reckon the hard runs in the week took it out of you. Which 10ks do you have planned?
  • Options
    3As Watford 12th June
    Milton Keynes 10k 6 July
    10,000 Birmingham 24th July
    British London 10k 1st August

I didn't see the television coverage, but I must have looked as though someone was ripping my quads off at that point! Craig Mottram was flying! I know that if I was to go out tomorrow I could take off 45 seconds just by cruising even more in the first 3k - I thought I was cruising but clearly I wasn't!

Does anyone know of a fast 10k on either the weekend of 19th/26th June?
  • Options
    And on reflection, all bar one of my races this year (NYD) has seen a PB. How's about everyone else?
  • Options
    Only one of my races has seen a pb - some race in London:)

(not strictly true as I did a 3000m pb in my 2nd ever attempt at the distance)
  • Options
    Well then that's 2 Pbs, how ever you look at it!
  • Options

Last year I set PB's for 10 miles , 20 miles and the marathon .

So far this year only the marathon one has been broken (Only by 2 seconds but I still broke it) although we are only in May .

I'll start training seriously soon ....Hang on , didn't I say that last year!!!

Sub 2:30 next year is the target marathon wise but I also plan to go for the London to Brighton again so may have to do a few marathons as training runs during the summer/autumn- much like TT.
  • Options
    With the exception of my 53:00 10 Mile in Feb, Marathons have been my only PBs since I started working full time 3 years ago. Due another breakthrough.
  • Options
    So what about setting a race aside for a PB this year, other than the marathon? 5k/10k/half? All of which can be done at least once in a month, so plenty of opportunities!
  • Options
    I have found a 10k that looks relatively fast at the Dysart Dash 10k - near Kingston? Anyone else up for it? 27 June.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to get a 10k pb late summer, followed by a 1/2 mara pb in the Autumn in prep for another mara pb next year.
  • Options
    Armthorpe 10k in Sept and Leeds Abbey Dash 10k in December for pb attempts.

Also if I can find a flattish HM sometime in December. May have to wait for Brass Monkey HM in York in Jan.

5k pb due for revision as well - I've a couple of T+F meetings to do this in.
  • Options
    10K pb attempts - Hatfield Broad Oak - 31st May; Thanet - mid July.
    1/2M pb attempt - Reykjavik - Aug 21st
    Marathon 2:30 attempt - Abingdon - Oct 17th

Smashy, come and do Thanet - very fast course!
  • Options
    My 5k and 5 mile PB's are both due for revision - just want to get training well again then the racing should click a month or so later. Maybe the SEAA 5k champs is one to look at?