Sub 2:30, Anybody up for it?

1303132333436»

Comments

• mm I definitely think I'd struggle with the long MP runs, I find the progression runs finishing at MP tough enough.  I find something like 4x3 mile at MP with a couple of minutes jog recovery much easier mentally, but I'm not sure if this is as beneficial.

Your schedule looks very similar to what I'm intending to do.  I like the idea of incorporating a longer run into the Tues reps session, I've been wondering how to fit a second med. long run in and might try that.

Been struggling a bit for motivation over the past month and consistency has been poor, but starting to feel more focused with the 18 week milestone approaching.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

mmm - training schedule looks good. If you can follow that for a decent period you should be ready on race day. 

Agree with EdB about the MP runs. In training I find MP feels very hard for any significant distance.

On the 10k/HM times, I've generally been able to do my marathon in (2 x HM time) + 6 mins, until Edinburgh, which was very windy, but I think I was in shape to maintain that trend. Therefore sub-70 should definitely equate to a sub-2:30. 10k is probably more variable, but I agree with MikeB and Peahead, sub-33 should be enough if you've been focusing on the marathon.

• Many thanks for the feedback. Sounds like there's some general consensus regarding 10k and 1/2M times required to dip under 2:30. Be very interested to hear how everyone gets on during the build-up.

Peahead,
    A 2:31 off the back of a 33:27 10k is suprising. Did they just "train through" the 10k? I think this supports MikeB and Padams take that a particularly fast 10k is not necessary providing you're well conditioned for the marathon.

MikeB,
    Do you totally avoid the half marathon in the build-up to a goal marathon owing to the damage? If not, what's the closest you would risk racing an all-out half prior to the marathon?

EdB,
    Agree with you and Padams, that MP can feel very tough if you're doing quite a few miles of it. Will try to work some in, as described above, but keep a careful eye on fatigue levels as number of miles @ MP increases.

Padams,
    Double your half + 6 mins is an outstanding conversion. I've yet to manage better than double +8, but hoping this time around might be better. The only other chap I've spoken to who has managed the same sort of conversion is a bloke from Notts AC who ran a 2:25 off the back of a 70-flat half. But he was definitely, totally marathon-focused in his training year-round.

• I just don't like halfs in the marathon build up at all. Find a 10 miler and half marathon are run at the same pace - just recover much much quicker from a 10. Would prefer to do the half as a seperate target race.
  • MikeB,
    Thanks for the frank feedback. It's always good to hear the opinions of the people who have already "been there and done that". It's interesting how much divirgence in opion there is with regard to racing during the marathon build-up. Clearly the "Ron Hill" camp is in favour of plenty of racing, including long (~20M) races in the build-up. But I think we'd both be in agreement that if you're going to race a 20M, you might as well do the marathon. Nevertheless, I have to say, that so far, in my modest marathon career, I find the half to be the perfect race distance for preparation. Agreed that it takes a while to recover from, but I can usually manage a hard session on the Thu/Fri after a half on the previous Sunday. Furthermore, the half has been my best prediciton of marathon time so far (i.e., double half + 8 mins). But hell, what do I know, I've never broken 2:30..........

Hope everyone keeps posting, knowledge is power etc etc....

Thanks

• I just ordered the new edition of P&D for under £8 from amazon (released in a couple of weeks time) - mainly because "my" 1st edition is the Library's which I have out pretty permanently and thought it time to upgrade to my own copy!

• Hi everyone,

just weighing in with a quick update - I had the chance of two weeks altitude training at 7,500 ft (similar to Addis Ababa) in Alamosa, Colorado and jumped at the chance - so have been here since monday and am here for another week and a half.

Incredible scenery, and pancake flat, but am finding the running quite difficult - particularly as all the others are acclimatised.

Off "down" to Albuquerque, NM in a couple of hours and I race an indoor 3,000 tomorrow - this could be terrible given my lack of acclimatisation or leg speed!

The plan is to use the altitude to kick start my big training for London - so the benefit will come in the training phase rather than the racing phase. We will see what the effect is!

• Has anyone here used the modified Garmin training schedule at all?