Sub 2:30, Anybody up for it?

Comments

• Pantman, what date is Thanet? Isn't that a long way from Bucks? MikeB, is the date of the SEAA 19th June? I think I might be down for that.
  • Yes, Its the day after my last nightshift but I'm normally ok then anyway

• I'm pretty sure that the Hatfield Broad Oak 10k has NO entries on the day so I've missed that one. (did 33:03 several years ago after running 32:35 at Harrow) .

As for 5k ,I ran 16:09 at the Dome last month so there is a slight possibility (one day) of getting down to my 15:33 road PB.

My half time is definitely up for revision , I haven't broken 73 minutes yet!
  • Michael - fancy doing the track southern 5k? If a few of us have a go at it maybe we can work together? Also Tim's putting on a BMC 5k for mortals on the 14th July with a 16:00 qualifying time, maybe we could run as a group in that one too?
  • Nice idea Mike , although I'm a terrible 5k runner on the track (a lot better on the road) .

I'd need someone else to judge the pace! , never been a strong point for me ; but I guess that you know that!!
  • Smashy - Thanet 10K is Margate, Kent. Saturday race - not sure if it is am or pm.
    We have space for the whole family if you need a place to stay.
  • Top man! That's really kind! If I do it, though, I may make a weekend at the seaside with the troops. I will let you know.

• Smashy, I'm looking to do the Dystart Dash 10k as it's local to me - did it a few years ago. It is flat, but I seem to remember there are some sharp turns, and the bit along the towpath can be a bit 'cobbly' and you do get bikes on the towpath that can be a bit awkward.

I've just started running again - suffering with a shin problem (that I picked up before the marathon) it's still a bit tender but I'm taking it easy for a while. I'd like to go for sub 2.30 next year - suspect it may be a bit too much (need to take 13mins off London this year) but at least it's something to aim for.....
  • hmmm, wonder who ginger runner is - girl or chap? Thanks for the info - there is also the Last Friday of the month 5k which I have printed off the entry form - I may do that instead - in the absense of finding the ultimate 10k that weekend. Anyone else know of a fast one on 26/27 June?
  • North Downs 30K is on June 27th - that is supposed to be a really fast couse... Well, on the downhills, anyway! ;-)
  • There is the CPM Thame 10k in Oxfordshire. Says flat on roads (more pavements!!!!). All other races on that day are undulating or multiterrain.
  • Smashy, just checked the results for the Dysart Dash from last year - won in 32.23 (male) and 36.28 (female), so looks like it is pretty fast.

To answer your earlier question, I'm a chap - I'll be struggling to get to 36mins I think though - haven't done any speedwork since before London (shin problem), but want to use this run as a marker to progress from.

• Well, all you 10Kers masquarading as marathoners, I have my first 10K in 14 years tomorrow morning and a 14yr old PB to beat (36:08).
    Although I reckon I am in 2:45 to 2:50 shape, I have been working from the bottom up (with regards to HR/intensity) so this will be harder than ANY training session or race thus far. In fact it is the first race I will have done since I restarted where I am actually going for the best time poss. and not just running to HR. My HRM is due to see its highest numbers since 1992!

So I am not expecting to beat it by much, if at all. No wonder I'm bricking it! :-(
  • 35:20 on a very hot day.
    Even splits.
    HR lower than expected.
    Course less flat than I was led to believe, but still pretty fast.
    Traffic free, which was nice.
    About 20th out of 1200 runners.
    Classic marathon trained, "I couldn't go faster, but I could of kept it going" feeling.
    And 48 secs off a 14 year old PB! :-D I am now *officially* faster than I have ever been!

Now if I could just rekick the weight loss I'd be almost there...

• Great run Pants

First PB of many this year......
  • Well done pants! That's superb! What was the race? How many more 10ks are you going to do or are you working up the ladder - 10m, half, 20 and then the big day?
  • Pantman, that's a better season's best for the 10k than me:) Looks like you'll be shooting straight through the 2:30 thread and onto a 2:20 one??
  • TT - I hope so - I got a 10M PB and now a 10K PB (and a 5K PB at halfway) - 5M PB guaranteed on Sat (1st one!). Hoping to break the half in Aug... by 10min!
    This PB was the important one - it shos I am now faster than I was in my tri days - the old pants is faster than the young one ever was!

Smashy - 1 more 10K - Thanet July 10th - ND30K end of June - half in Iceland in August - then I'll back off the faster sessions almost totally and focus on MP work till the big day.

BR - That would be nice! But I am pretty confident of breaking 2:30 now - I knew I'd keep improving my "engine" and I had the weight to lose still, but I was most worried that I just couldn't comfortably hold 5:40 pace biomechanically - 7:00 felt too fast a few months back. Today 5:40 was comfortable. Mentally that is a huge step for me.
  • Nice one fancy Pants, waaaaay to go :)

What's the magic training formula? Moving from a 5:40's 10k to sub 5:45's marathon is a gigantic step (especially in less than 4 months). I wonder, has this ever been done before?
  • URR, don't think there's much magic about it. Pantman has gone from 17st and inactive this time last year to this. Remember he was seriously ill back in March as well.

As far as I can make out the `magic' involves running lots of miles at a steady aerobic pace.

Now unless there's secret ingredients only Pizza Hut know about ....:)
  • URR - I have dropped 5-20 secs/mile every WEEK for the past 2.5months and have not had a single "non-progress" week. I still have 18lb to go to race weight too - if I manage it (and I have lost 82lb so far) it is worth 27secs/mile. That alone would do it.
    Training has just been lots of miles easy with a couple of faster sessions (MP) each week. I have only hit 10K effort ONCE in training prior to yesterday.
  • Hey Pantman

I've just been reading Glover's competative runners book and it says my race weight should be 10.9 stone which gives me about 2.5 stone to lose.

if you don't mind me asking, what training program did you use to lose weight? any special diet?

i'd love to get back to the 6 min miles when i was a kid. still in my 20s so hopefully i've got a shot at it.

are all you guys seriously going for sub 2:30?
  • Indeed we are, NR!
    The 1.5secs/mile/lb has been very accurate, IMHO. Mainly I have eaten less and gone for a high mileage / low intensity apporach to training (although I'd do that even without any weight to lose). Just make sure you eat carbs IMMEDIATELY after running to get the carbs to be stored as glycogen and avoid carbs late at night. I found it easier to avoid carbs more than necessary and supplement with energy drinks on the go rather than risk having too many carbs "away from running". Now that I am doing 100-120mpw I am actually finding it harder to judge the amount I need to train and am eating too much.
  • PM - Weight loss is crucial but very difficult, I experienced that myself. I quickly dropped from 85 to 75kg, but I am pretty much stuck there even if I run 120mpw. To burn off 1 kg of body fat you need to process 2000 litres of oxygen, a 2:30 marathon is approx. 500 litres, so you need to run 4 marathons in training (104 miles) to burn off 1kg (assuming you cut out the fat in diet). Hence, you really need to starve, would be even difficult if you run 160/180mpw. Again weight loss is not proportial to gain in VO2max. Still need to develop leg strength and leg speed.

NR - I am only lurking, a sub 2:30 is completely unrealistic, if not impossible at all, if I ever make a 2:45 I have achieved a lot. I would estimate at least 2 years of solid training (min. 4000 miles a year) in order to get close. Running sub 6 minutes for a marathon is already a serious achievement for any hobby runner. I have been following the training of those who went sub 2:45, again most if not all had in common, many attempts at the marathon distance before, high mileage over at least two years, marathon progression by 10-15 minutes, reasonable balanced times (10k upwards), many race miles in the legs and some even did high altitude training.

• I've got to learn how to recover from a marathon.
    I write having just got back from the late night chemist with my bottle of antibiotics having come down with tonsilitis, so it's no chance of the Southern 5ks and may as well say goodbye to running a pb this track season. Maybe I'm not cut out for the marathon, I haven't been sick in years then get sick about a month after both marathons. grrrrrrrrrr

p.s. Well done Smashy at the intercounties.
  • MikeB- Sorry to hear that you are unwell.

It's a long track season with plenty of chances for you to go for that track Pb .

As to my own state of fitness - I've got problems with my right hamstring at present but will be racing 3.5 miles tomorrow (Victoria park) and 5 miles (Dunmow) on Sunday (if the hamstring hasn't snapped tomorrow .

More sensible running from me then !!!!
  • 120 mpw!! you must be doing nearly a marathon a day! not sure i'll ever be up to that. how fast do you run your training sessions?
  • Assembly League in vic park? You're making me jealous now! I think the year I won the league was my best ever, summer 2001.