Options

Clean Shoes - How?

2»

Comments

• Options

I wore my Asics Gel Kayano 17s to go mountain biking, got them drenched and then put them in the washing machine. The next time that I went mountain biking I wore the same running shoes, washed them in the machine after and then a few days later I went to circuit training. Circuit training was three weeks ago and my right knee is still *sore*, having never had any knee complaints previously. My freshly washed trainers definitely *felt* different when I put them on... more flat, like they'd lost their bounce. I have no scientific proof, and don't care to obtain any, but I will definitely refrain from using running trainers on a mountain bike ride, as there was no way that I could possibly have reused those minging trainers for anything other than MTB, and I had no alternatives for going circuit training, so the washing machine was the only option. Never again. So, now I'm going to buy the Gel Kayano 19s and a pair of cross training Asics and use my existing walking trainers or Gel Kayano 17s for MTB.

• Options

Take the insoles out.  Bucket of warm soapy water and a toothbrush. Rinse off under the cold tap. Dry in the airing cupboard stuffed with newspaper. Easy. 

• Options

My washing machine has a 'sports shoe' cycle but never used it other than for my bikilas that, well stink so much they need a good wash.

• Options

using and old toothbrush and the kitchen sink, then stuff with newspaper

• Options

I wash my ASICS shoes regularly in the washing machine and never have problems.

• Remove insoles and wash separately
    • Wash at 30°C with the Delicates program (rotates the drum gently)
    • Turn off spin dryer/centrifuge cycle
    • Remove shoes soaking wet from the machine and leave to dry outside and soles-up in the sun
    • Never tumble-dry (some tumble driers reach high temperatures)
  • Options
    BikoBiko ✭✭✭

I wonder if thread starter Tim has cleaned his shoes yet. 13 years have passed. They're probably a bit smelly by now.

To add my twopenneth worth, after a deep mud cross country I've taken insoles out and put mine in the machine (inside a pillow case) on a delicate cycle and they've come out sparkly and new. With no ill effects.

I did it because I was too lazy to do the sensible toothbrush thing.