Three Peaks Challenge

If you are signed up for or are considering a Three Peaks Challenge please go to the following website and read the voluntary code of conduct.

http://www.wasdaleweb.co.uk/framesets/frameset3peaks.html

Wasdale is, in my view, unique, it would be a shame if things got to the stage where access had to be restricted.

The same comments could and should, of course, be applied to Snowdonia and the Ben.

Comments

• Fell Running - you might also find this of interest

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/services/summit/backissues/SUMMIT_28.pdf

(scroll down to p. 46).

This is a subject I can get on my high horse for hours and hours and hours about ... so I'll stop now!
  • Glad I'm not a lone voice Lizzie. So get on your high horse if you want.

I ran up Scafell Pike last easter. It was the first time I'd been up for a couple of years, and I was shocked by the damage. I actually felt quite selfish and guilty when I spoke to some of the locals and discovered how the valley was being choked by 3 Peaks traffic in the "Season".

I've made a personal resolution to neither do or sponsor a 3 Peaks event.

There are at least three fell races that go over Scafell. These are all endorsed by the FRA the National Trust and the local community (who generally supply the winners as well). If anyone wants a challenge do one of those.

Also Wasdale show is the first weekend in October in Nether Wasdale - well worth supporting.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Good links FR and LizzyB. I've been looking for some evidence to persuade some friends that it's a really bad idea.
  • I've also written to my former employer - a large multinational that goes in for this sort of thing, and asked them not to endorse or sponser any events. I've had a pretty positive response, although they quite rightly point out that they can't prevent individuals from doing it.
  • I must admit, when people mention the Three Peaks to me, I do try to be constructive and suggest alternatives - for non runners, something like running a half marathon (a local one if I don't want to be hypocritical about the 'impact on the environment' thing!) is a good alternative, as is a marathon.

It's harder to suggest alternatives to runners ... but some of the less well trodden long distance footpaths (for instance the Leicestershire Round, or the footpath that goes round the Isle of Wight) would make good challenges ... or doing a triathlon... or one of the longer fell races ... or ... (sometimes its hard to suggest things which grab the imagination of both the participants and the sponsors!)...
  • Plenty of LDWA challenge events to go round. Properly organised, and properly marshalled.

I'm not against Three Peakers per se (although the idea of spending hours on the motorway to do it doesn't appeal at all).Its just that Wasdale doesn't need troops of 200 all turning up at once in the middle of the night.
  • I think that they just want people to scale it down a bit and be reasonable without resorting to legislation.

The best way to apply pressure is to refuse to sponsor anyone who asks, and to refuse to give to charities who benefit from such events, and tell them why.

I believe from reading the BMC article that some of the charities involved have offered "damages" money to the National Trust. Thats hardly the point though.

To be fair they (the charities) have come up with a code of conduct - so we'll just have to see if that improves things.