New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Hi is anybody running this years new york .It will be my first time and i would love to hear from anybody who has run or is running the marathon. Any advise on the run or the city and what to see (we are spending a week in N.Y.). I would be most greatfull.Ta Chris.

Comments

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Seaweed,

Not up to Marathon standard yet but have been NYC, last time was in June. Great City, loads to see and do.

If you like clothes shopping then Downtown in SoHo is a must (are you m or f?) there are the most brilliant shops there. There are also lots of art galleries and great wine bars and eateries. The people are really friendly and they love us Brits. Uptown (eg 5th avenue or Madison) is great for window shopping.

Central Park is a must and you can take in Trump Towers, Bergdorff Goodman and lots of other famous stores. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is awesome and they have a fabulous Egyptian exhibtion.

You can take in Time Square (a must so you can see the famous screens) and Broadway together. Beware the tourist rip-off shops there! Don't forget the Empire State Building - you get a fabulous view from the top - just make sure you get there early because the queues can be quite long. Sadly you can no longer go to the top of the World Trade Centre and the whole area around
    Ground Zero is shrouded in a great sadness.

There are so many things to see and do that you should get a good guide book - we found 'Explorer New York' invaluable the first time we went.

The grid system, of the avenues running vertically and the streets cutting across horizontally, makes it really easy to find places.

Good luck with the Marathon - I'm sure you'll love New York.

Susie
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Hi Seaweed,
    there at least ten/twelve of us running New York this year. Through the coming weeks maybe we will try to arrnge some way of getting together ( maybe at registration ) or at the international jog around Central park on the saturday morning????. How is your training going ??George.
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    I'd like to do the New York marathon next year - how or where do you enter? Can you do it online? Is it as difficult to get in as the London?
  • Hi all Thanks for your replys ,Chris stands for christopher,I am taking my wife and children and we are staying near central park.Iam going with sports tours,as they organise every thing for you,entry ,hotel,and transferes E.T.C.. Training is going well i ran a P.B. at Blackpool this year of 3.14 but i have heard N.Y. is not the fastest and as i have 5 days of shopping(only reason i was allowed to do the run was that my wife could shop afterwards.)after the marathon. I would love to meet up before if anybody is interested .The races i am doing before N.Y. are ;Nike 10k, Windsor 1/2, G.N.R, and the Cabbidge patch 10 Keep in touch ,Chris
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Chris,

Your wife is going to love it - better up the credit card limit !!!

See you at Windsor

Susie
    ;-)
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    seaweed, I'm also doing Windsor so make sure you keep your eye open for any arranged meeting.
    Simonfranks, I only entered (online) to see if I could get in with the intention of increasing my chances for next year - but I got in first time !!!
  • Hi Seaweed - I'm entered into NY for November - through Sports Tours International. My first marathon too - so am more than happy to share info, meet up or whatever!
  • NY will be my first full marathon too - got charity place (MS Society).
    Am also running Windsor half so it'll be good to meet up b4. Any of you slower runners out there? I'm hoping to do Windsor in 2 - 2.15.
  • Hi to all NY runners. You'll love it but be prepared, it's not flat like the FLM!!

If anyone's interested my rather lengthy article on last years run can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/dpgridley/mypage.html

Hope to be there again this year.

Cheers
    LF
  • If you are staying near Central Park, be sure to take the kids to the zoo. The penguins and the seals are fab and they have this wide open rainforest bit where everything is right there scooting about. And I don't even like zoos!

Definitely do the Empire State, I can't decide whether it's best to go during the day or at night. Both. And Grand Central Station is the most impressive railway station I've ever seen. And they have a light show on the ceiling every 15 mins or so.

<sigh> wish I was going...
  • Not going to be at Windsor, but am in the slower category! Would be delighted with a 4.30-5 marathon
  • Little Feat -
    Fab account - I'm v excited now (if not a little worried about all the uphills!)

New runner
    So would I!
  • Caketine - Maybe we'll be able to run together then?!

Little Feat - amazing account!
  • Dear All

I ran NY in 98 and it still holds a very special place in my memory. We went with Sports Tours too and they really look after you from start to finish. The bits of advice I would add is run the International run the day before and try to get the family running too if practicable. Its a jog with all the overseas entrants and really is a lot of fun. Also go on the familiarisation run with Sports Tours on your first day - well worth it. The one and only down side is you are waiting for a good 3 hours or so before the start of the race as you have to be bussed across to Staten Island - so take a book, walkman or of course a copy of Runners World! to read.

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did (ran a 3:08), wish I was going too

All the best

PS. Watch out for the 'undulations' in Central Park from mile 23!!
  • New runner

Sure - that would be good. But finding each other might be a bit of a nightmare!! We'll have to arrange a meeting point nearer the time.
    How's the training going? 13.1 is the furthest I've done so far - and I won't run more than 20m before hand.
  • I'm entered into a half this weekend (Burnham Beeches) and so far 10 is my furthest. Training is OK - three times mid week and a long at weekend. Some days I think I'm Paula Radcliffe other days I think i'll never ever finish the course! 20 will be my longest effort pre-marathon too...
  • Good luck at Burnham Beeches. After yesterday's half in Newark, I'm just off to get my sore muscles massaged!
  • Little Feat -Great account -how bad must you have felt when you injured your knee so close to the event! You must have real will power to carry on and do so well. Liz and I are going with Sports Tours this year We've got the New Forest Marathon first and then five weeks to the NYM-you were kidding about there being hills weren't you...weren't you?
  • I will be running the new york marathon this year finding the mileage hard going, the good news is that there is a large crowd from my runing club,sutton runners are coming out to watch but my gut feeling is that most are going shopping .aiming for around 3.35 but i am not really worried about my time i am going to enjoy if you can enjoy a marathon that is.
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Cake tin and New Runner,
    I'm hoping to run New york in 4.15 - 4.30. But will have a better idea after Windsor. Fancy making NY a threesome ????
  • Eek! Sounds a little fast for me - but if you don't mind being with the slow coaches!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    NY is great.
    Check out the Hallowe'en parade if you get there in time (obviously 31st Oct) when all the kids dress up.Head down to Greenwich village in the evening when it's the turn of the adults.
    SoHo has some decent bars,and I'd recommend going on the top of the empire state.Never been to the statue of liberty mainly because it's never been recommended as a 'must do'.
    If you get a day for shopping get a bus from the central bus station to Woodbury Common assuming its still there (about an hour on the bus) which is a huge shopping complex of 'discount stores'
    all the names are there : levis,gap,CK,nike,adidas and so on.
    Very inexpensive , last time bought three pairs of gap jeans for less than $30 and a CK summer jacket for $10. Spent a load but bought a load.
    If you get a chance try getting tickets to a basketball (knicks) or hockey (rangers) game at Madison Square garden.

Race is fun too.
  • Statue of Liberty was actually quite good. Only made it to feet level though - but the view up as well as out is amazing. Would recommend it if you've got time - the ferry trip out also offers some great views - but it may be a little chilly on deck come Nov.
    Shopping - I'm going to have to recommend Old Navy - just for it's utter cheapness. Their PJ bottoms are fab - my pair are still good as new over three years on.
    The Guggeheim rocks, as does the Whitney, the Natural History Museum is ok but a little dated.
    My favourite thing has to be the food - no where else but america can you have cake for brekkie!
  • George - Before Caketin and I agree to a threesome (!) let's wait and see what our predicted times are nearer the marathon, but have to agree with Caketin that unlikely I'll be up to a 4:15 marathon! As for shops - Banana Republic - love love love!
  • Hello all
    George - love the piccy!
    Nobody's posted in a while so I was just wondering how you all were doing? It's my first run tonight since the half and I'm itching to get out there. Did a nice and easy hour and half at gym last night and don't seem to have any lingering aches and pains.
  • Hi Caketin! I'm scheduled to do 6 miles tonight so will be heading up to Regents or Hyde Park. Feeling bit anxious about doingmy first half on Sunday - just hoping it's not going to make me realise (again) just how far 26 miles is! Did you do weights and stuff at the gym?
  • Naa - I was too lazy. Usually do upper body stuff though.
    Did 20 mins on cross trainer - about 45 on treadmill walking - hill programme and about another half hour on bike. Was watching tv about Jessica and Holly and didn't want to miss anything.
    Enjoy the 6 miler and good luck for sunday.
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    The picture was courtesy of Blue Knees !!! Haven't run since an eight miler last Friday. Had a stomach bug since . Been on the bike a couple of times but nothing strenuous ... May ride to and race a ten miler ( bike ) tomorrow. Got my last planned bike race on Sunday morning (thirty miles ) and then I can start to concentrate on my running .
  • My run last night was v disappointing - knee started hurting after only few minutes. Gave up after couple of hill reps and have decided absolutely no running for at least a week. Don't want to risk it getting worse.
    Shall be doing lots of easy gym sessions and maybe even some swimming in the mean time.
    George - enjoy the cycling and happy racing
  • Hi All Thanks everybody for all your great advise about N . Y. Keep it coming. I sugest we could meet at the nike van (the one that sells all the shoes),at the widsor 1/2. How about 1hr before the start. I will be wearing my GET KIDS GOING t.shirt, with ,youv`e got it, CHRIS written on it.Hope this idea is o.k. for people ,reply to let me know .Also when are you all flying out to N.Y. and from what airport. Looking foward to hearing and seeing you all,good luck with all your training and races, CHRIS.