New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• at least I'm not the slowest person you've ever run with Seaweed!
  • WELL DONE EVERYONE!!

Seaweed - Big Respect - a true friend. Good luck for Blackpool.

George - 4.27 - well done in that heat! Not looking forward now to Edinburgh in June! Still, it IS in Scotland .......

Alex - Well done! I'll be happy if I do your time at Edinburgh! and 4 grand is a tidy wee sum for Charity.

T&T Man and Little Feat
    - your times - in my wildest dreams boys!

Proud of you all.

G
  • Thanks for good wishes, peeps! My legs are still aching. Had a bit of a struggle getting out of the bath this morning! Great time, Little Feat - shame it wasn't possible to meet up with you, George and Alex for a mini Noo Yoik reunion. Seaweed - hats off to you. Don't know how you do it! Best of luck to you and Ob for Blackers!
  • Thanks T and T and to you glor. the hardest part was keeping up his determination to finish . As long as he wasn't do himself harm i really wanted to finish. He burst into tears at the finish and we had a manly hug ... well i was dressed as a pink ladddieee.
    Just looking through all the flyers i got from expo.. Boston for april 2006 . then either Toronto/ chicago/washington,or ..Newyork for the autumn. Money allowing.

Good to see you again Alex. Good luck with the house.
  • Looks like Paula will be doing Boston :)

T&TM - are you not joining us for the stick of rock?
  • Just had a look at the Blackpool site, OB. Looks really good. I like the look of the half-marathon a lot. Looks like it could be a PB course!
  • that seems to be the general opinion T&TM.
  • ok folks I think it's time to broadcast my website. www.hucknall.plus.com

There's nothing about running though and it's a bit amateurish at the moment but one has to start somewhere.

Stratford Half tomorrow ! yikes !
  • Hey Bobolink, did you do the Stratford half? I did it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of public support and so well organised, water and sponge stations aplenty. Only downside were those bottlenecks at the end but that gave me the perfect excuse for a wee break!! Managed to finish in 2.05 so I was quite pleased with that considering that I talked the whole way round. My friend told me to "shut up" on more than one occasion! Met some nice people on way round too. One lovely veteran guy we passed on the way round did the FLM the week before!! Bless 'im, he wanted to know what I was on -I told him "jelly babies" and gave him one (jelly baby!). How did you get on Bobolink?

OB: How's the training for Blackpool coming along?
  • Sorry I didn't get in to Stratford but it sounds as though it was another warm one!

Blackpool training coming along ok Glor. It's taking a bit longer than usual to come together but still on the right track for a possible 4:15 but the weather might have a big say in that. How about your training?
  • Hello OB - looks like I won't be able to make it to Blackpool. Price of trains etc etc a bit too steep for me :( Best of luck for a 4:15! Next one for me is Cardiff in October.

Bobo - some v nice stuff on your site!
  • Glor -
    Yes I did Stratford and enjoyed it although it was a bit warm again. I was doing well and pacing it right until about 11 miles when i began to sink quite rapidly. That old rail line is a bind. I started off running alongside a chap who I thought was going to talk incessantly and it would have been interesting had I not been trying to settle down into a rythmn i.e. get my "tractor engine" ticking over nicely. I lost him after a couple of miles though. Glad you enjoyed it Glor. If I'd talked to you earlier we could said hello! I met up with RichK who took some photos. Have you been on his website ? www.richk.co.uk

T&T - thanks for your comments re my website. Hopefully it's going to change quite substantially over the next few weeks as i get to grips with dreamweaver. Any constructive comments are most welcome.
  • Next Half is Eyam Half Marathon 15th May www.eyamhalfmarathon.org.uk which I really enjoyed last year.
  • morning all - how are the post FLM legs doing folks?
  • Morning All

Bobolink - just been looking at richK website. Blimey - big big turnout eh? No wonder we were all running single file for part of the race! Good to see big public support though. Pity we couldn't have said hello, never mind though, I hope to meet up with you all sooner or later!

Hi OB - Did an 18 miler (quite hilly) yesterday. Felt as if I'd run a marathon!! It took me just over 3 hours. Felt dreadful last few miles and started swearing after about 2 and a half hours. Glad it was early in the morning and no-one around to hear me! Not sure what time to go for now at Edinburgh. Would love to break 4.30 but we'll see .......
  • Glor - your run mirrors mine in nearly all respects (I wasn't reduced to swearing!) and I still think I'm on target for 4:15 if the remaining training goes well, so you should do 4:30 ok. Have faith :)
  • hi all.am now safely moved into rented house,but have also had offer accepted on house in oxfordshire which is v exciting,though lets see if the roof is about to fall in before going tonto..
    haven't been able to spare a moment to run since flm,but hoping to get going again v soon,i think i have now lost all the toenails i'm going to and healed up the restof the popplebod.probably put on a few pounds too,though the scales are lost in packing somewhere....
  • whereabouts in Oxfordshire alex?

"going tonto"?
  • Eyam Half tomorrow folks !
  • how did it go Bobo?
  • OB - I'm pleased to say I came in at 1:59:33 which for this course i am pleased with. Check out the Eyam thread on the events page or the website www.eyamhalfmarathon.org.uk . Second time i've done it ( it's most local ) and it's challenging and very well organised. I'd recommend to add it to anyone's list of to do's
  • Hi everyone and Help!!

Something's amiss! - I feel absolutely dreadful. I just hope I haven't burnt out before the marathon - that would be devastating.

I've been feeling somewhat fatigued over the past 2 weeks. I did a 3 hour run a couple of weeks ago (felt ok) and then last sunday did 3.15. I couldn't wait to finish, I felt so tired and nauseous and spent the rest of the day lying down. I've only done 1 run this week and I still feel a bit fatigued (headaches too).

Does anyone know what's wrong? I promised a friend I would do 4 hour run with her this sunday - YIKES! Please please - advice needed. Have I burnt myself out? Will I still be able to run the Edinburgh on 12 June????
  • sorry ob,didn't respond to your earlier q-we are looking near thame,which is relatively commutable,and good for M40 and children's schools.
  • thanks alex - how are things?

Glor - take it easy!!! A 4 hour training run???

I've had to take a 9 day break due to a cold but am back it now and last long run is this sunday.
  • Do you think I've done enough then OB? I have two 3 hour runs and one 3 hour 15 run behind me. I haven't run since last Wednesday and don't seriously think I will be running this week either.

Sorry you were ill. Hope your training is going ok now though and good luck for Sunday's training run.

Good luck

G
  • Glor - I suppose it depends on what you think you need psychologically but 3 x 3hr runs should give you the endurance. Having said that, I was going to do 5 but will now have to settle for 3.

The convention is for a 3 week taper but I read an article which stongly advocated a 4 week taper to allow for proper recovery but to concentrate on speed and intensity.
  • ok thanks OB. Seeing doc again this morning. I'm sure it's an ear infection that I've gotso we'll see ........

Good luck with the rest of your training/taper and of course, the race.

I'll try not to be too disappointed if I have to pull out of this one, there will be others - fundraising for my girls' school though and don't want to let them down.
  • still not been out since flm and now feeling hungry and ready to rock and roll again.sadly not this weekend,but new programme swinging into action afetr the bank holiday.
  • good news there alex. I'm looking forward to not running for a while to sort myself out!