New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• thanks bobo - the George Meis comparison was meant to be a compliment btw. I hope that's not a slur in photographic circles!!!
  • Will do Bobo - there's also a touch of the Martin Parr's in some of the shots, I think (that's a compliment also!).

How are you recovering from the Marathon de Blackpool, OB?
  • Hi Guys .
    how are we all here . Alex have you moved yet.
    Bobo/ t and t are either of you doing Nottingham?
    B.pool was interesting to say the least. I ran it in 2002 and p.b there and loved it . This time however it was too big and had its problems. O.B. however did a fantastic race and sould be very proud of himself.
    Now i am trying to get him to run Boston with me next year ...
    Great to see this thread still going .I am doing a 42 mile ultra on sat week over the n.york moors, so will report back . Ta Chris
  • Hello Seaweed - still a few reprobates round here! Good luck with the ultra - amazing distance to be doing so soon after a marathon! I'm tempted to do the Nottingham half as part of my training for Cardiff... Bobo?
  • we have moved into rental but purchase hasn't happened-we were due to exchange tomorrow,but they pulled out on monday,still haven't really got satisfactory explanation.v frustrating.
    went for a boiling 5.5 miler yesterday and going to do the same today,just gradually getting back into the habit,coinciding with end of term drinks sessions...three years ago some bstard talked me into running a marathon....is it really that long ago? feel like i've been running for a lot longer, mind...
  • better sign up for another one alex :)

Recovered very well thanks T&TM. I was even able to walk downstairs on tuesday!
  • Seaweed / T & T - Normally do Nottingham as it falls around my birthday, actually did on the very day of my 40th two years ago BUT this year i'm looking to do Ashbourne which is 18th I think and probably less crowded and more scenic. Nottingham is normally a hot one so be warned !

T & T - Oh no ! not Martin Parr ! Has to be one of my least favourite photographers although I do admit his work is interesting and sometimes thought provoking. I tend to think his work mocks and sniggers and gives little dignity to his subjects and their surroundings.

I'd like to think there are a load of influences in my stuff and one day perhaps some of my shots could match the poetry of Cartier-Bresson or the depth of W Eugene Smith. Long way to go though.

Alex - Sorry to hear of house moving frustrations. Very Stressful eh ?
  • Hi guys
    I'm new to all this forum business, so forgive me if I'm butting in!!

I'm doing the NY marathon this year and have been having a complete nightmare with the accomodation I've booked..Booked an apartment in times square ..called Woogoo apts..on 123 west 44th st. Has anyone ever stayed with them before? It took them 5wks to take the $100 deposit out of my account and then 7wks to send me a booking confirmation..after chasing them twice a week on email and phone for the entire 7 weeks.. Still dont even have an apartment number or any instructions what to do when we get there..

I'm beginning to doubt their legitamacy after all the hassle... Really dont want to arrive over in NY and find out the place is a scam?
    If anyone has any info, I'd really appreciate it.
    or maybe I'm just being stupid?
  • Hello Mrs T - I had a similar experience in 2002 when I booked an appartment. Don't know if I used the same company as you have; mine was called 'A Hospitality Company, Inc'. I had similar difficulties with them taking time to take my deposit and also getting a booking confirmation. And like you, this worried me a bit.

However, once I got there, everything was fine. The apartment was on Bleecker, smack in the middle of the Village. Keys were collected from the doorman and there was always someone on duty even in the middle of the night. The apartment itself was very clean and big (in fact, we were upgraded to a larger appartment for the same money). On leaving we just left the keys with the doorman. Couldn't have been easier! I wouldn't stay in a hotel in New York again (unless someone else was paying for me!).

There's still months to go, so you've got plenty of time to hassle them and get details. I think it's just the New York way of doing things - very laid back! Hopefully you'll have a great time and a great race.

Hello Bobo - I know what you mean about Martin Parr, but I think he's just documenting the kind of people he grew up around - a bit like an Alan Bennett of photography! Not sure I like the sound of a hot half-marathon - it's bad enought just getting out for a plod at the mo, let alone a race! :-0
  • Thanks T&T man, I feel a bit more positive about it now
  • MrsT - you are in for such a great experience, provided you get the accomm. sorted of course. I suppose it's because we all felt doing this event was so special that this thread is still going over 2 1/2 years later. Make the most of it but most of all enjoy the experience.
  • Mrs T - Can't make any comments about your accom so I hope your fears turn out to be unfounded. OB is right though, it's a great experience and having done the NY Marathon you'll really feel like your part of the city and in some ways feel a sense of belonging to it.

T & T - I'll research Martin Parr if I can to check out his background. I once attended a talk he was giving at the Photographers Gallery and he did not come across as a working class lad. Some BBC researchers turned up and gave him a right roasting though. I believe Cartier Bresson criticised him for it as well.
  • I might have got it wrong, Bobo. Might have been thinking of the bloke who did 'The Living Room' - can't remember his name off the top of my head, er, yes I can: Nick Waplington! Hang on...

Nick Waplington
  • Thanks OB and TB
    I really really really cant wait to get to NY....have heard so much about it. am determined to enjoy every second of it
  • T & T - Thanks for the link. Not heard of him before but a quick glance certainly gives the impression he's photographing from within as it were.
  • Hi folks.Can any of you NYC marathoners please tell me where I can buy running kit with the Union Jack on?.Have ordered Gatorade sports drink but just want some new kit.I am doing the marathon this year and Iam getting excited already.Will start marathon schedule later this month.
  • Hi RC - good luck in NYC

I've got some Ron Hill UJ shorts but they were a present so don't know where they came from. I expect Ron Hill has a website though.

There was/is a company I think called Vigo which does running kit in national colours including UJ stuff. If I find out more I'll post it here
  • I seem to remember seeing some online at Bourne Sports a while back...
  • T&TM - I see you posted on the Londoners Safe thread - everyone else OK?
  • Hello OB - so far as I'm aware, everyone is ok. T&TLady had to walk for an hour and then use the river to get home. Luckily my work partner rang me this morning and told me to stay put, not to leave the flat. She was stuck on a train coming in from Colchester which was being held just outside Liverpool Street. It eventually reversed back the way it came and she made it home safe and sound. Such a sad day, especially after the jubilation of yesterday.
  • Glad you're ok T & T
  • Not sure OB... he might be off work at the moment, anyway?

• Just had to search for this thread! Where are you all?

Has there been a decision to let it go?

BTW I'm doing New York again this year!

Hope you are all well

• Hello Angi - good to hear from you! Been v quiet here for aaaaages. Obviously. Lucky you, getting to run Noo Yoik again!
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Hi guys !!!

Good luck in New York Angi

And good luck in Cardiff T&Tman.

I've been concentrating on the cycling through the Summer and only done a minimum of running which meant that I forgot to enter the Cardiff half before entries closed !! I'm working Sunday afternoon but Summer's over !!! So, I might get up there to meet you guys and maybe sneak into the race as a marathon pacer training run....
    and if 55 days is time enough to get in the mileage, I will attempt the Milan marathon.
  • Hi Folks good to see thread is still going .

O.B. has talked me into running Zurich with him next year.. the o.b/seaweed show goes on .. New York /Dublin/copenhagen/Blackpool/......
    Hope you are all well

Ta Seaweed
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Seaweed
    How is life in the cold country ?
    What date is Zurich ?

Any sightings of Alex P. ?
  • Hello Seaweed. Hello George - did you do the half on Sunday?
  • Hi all

T&T very impressive Cardiff marathon time! Hope to see you in Devon again before too long.

So, when are we all going to get together? A half marathon sometime would be very nice.

Looking forward to New York but haven't ventured into the New York 05 forum - too scary!

I emailed Alex last week and he is busy house hunting and ferrying around the children. Shooting season has begun so that will also keep him busy. Don't think he is doing much running.