New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Hurrah !!!
    Lots of crunching, but the osteopath seems to have done a good job. A bit of muscle soreness but my back feels better than it has for ages !!!
    So much so that I did a 6 mile tempo run this morning no problem but back was a bit sore after the 30 mile bike ride that followed !!!
  • That'd good news George. Suffer from a bit of back pain myself after sustaining bulging disc about six months before New York. Fortunately I had the benefit of a free physio provided by work but slight discomfort nver goes away.
    We've booked our hotel in London now, a reasonable deal at the Waldorf Hilton on the Strand; excellent for the train from Charing and good walking distance from the finish ;-() !!!
    It sure would be nice to meet up in London even if only at Greenwich at the start. Mrs B is aiming for a sub 4.00 while i'm hopefully being realistic with a sub 4.30 and as close to 4:15 as I can.
    Off for a 13 miler any moment, it is Sunday after all. Best regards to all of you.
  • George - Mrs Bobolink has just caught sight of all this back pain banter and wonders if the 30 mile bike ride after the six mile tempo run after the oesteopath !!!! was really necessary ? Please give your back chance to settle ! Mrs Bobolink's words not mine George.
  • Mrs bobolink is a physio you may remember.
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the very sensible advice Mrs Bobo.
    Unfortunately, if I had any sense, I wouldn't be running OR biking !!!

I'm booked in to the Strand Palace again. Last year there were loads of FLM runners there and even a couple of coaches going to Greenwich but didn't have the cheek to jump on one.
  • when are you guys going down too london . Maybe we could meet at the expo. i am going on the sat .
    George.. take it easy mate ,backs can be very painful . I had mri scan on mine 4 months ago . still seeing physio.

This could be the bad back thread...

keep in touch ta seaweed
  • George - Mrs bobo has your best interests at heart so take it easy. she has also had back trouble in the past herself which kept her off running for nearly two years.
    if your on the Strand we could happen meet up. The Lyceum pub serves an excellent pint of Sam Smiths at a cheap price.

Seaweed - We are to London on the Friday and going ot expo that day as well. Saturday will be take it easy day and omphing on pasta etc. Let us know where you are staying though.
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Bobo. I'm planning to arrive Saturday, but might go up on Friday to save all the rushing around. So a couple of drinks would be on.

Thanks Mrs Bobo.
  • Bobo i will be staying at my mums in n. london but can easliy pop down to meet up. Lyceum in the strand would be easy for me.
    Going to try a longish ( well for me) run this afternoon.
    Has ob come back from his hols yet. Hows the back George
  • Count me in too - be good to see you all.
  • Great news t and t. How are you.
    I am now working in Durham .Very different from Luton.
  • All is well Seaweed - I bet Durham's different! Went for an interview for Uni there waaaay back in 1989. For some bizarre reason I chose to go Birmingham instead :-o Training's going ok for FLM - quiet tired at moment though. Moved to a new bit of London and am enojying exploring the area on foot! (The kids round here are much less dangerous and Ocado deliver too!)
  • keep me posted on expo and or beer drinking-i may not be running but i would love a chat!!
    the easy first half stone has gone,i managed 10 miles at 10min /mile last week and 6x 4min yasso's last night.feeling sore in the thighs,so off for serious exercise tonight-burns night reels...
    and i have gone through the 1k sponsorship level for Bath...feeling much more like a runner than for ages.
    i have also got my hands on a great download site for digital music-www.allofmp3.com,which is soooo much cheapwer than itunes.have been bouncing along to a few tracks where it simply hasn't been worth going out and buying a whole album...b52's,tom petty,vintage bob marley etc etc.
    the move to newbury is still on,we saw an architect on monday and await his view on whether we can get the right combo of extra space/reasonable cost we need...
    george-last year i'd have been worried for you but a) i just finished feet in the clouds so the bar has gone up a bit-doesn't really count as tough since you DID get your shoe out!!!!
    and b) you are retired and i am too jealous-i wish i had the opportunity to overtrain myself into your injuries(shurely shome mishtake...??)
  • ok folks I think we can say a meet up in London over the FLM weekend is on the cards and the Lyceum is fine by me given that Sam Smiths is my favourite beer of all time even though it's always served a little cold. That said i'm not averse to Fullers London Pride, we were in the Dove and Rainbow in Hammersmith two weekends ago ! perfect. We will of course be cautious if we meet up before the run ?
    Training is going well and i'm hoping wishing for a 4:15 time.
    Alex - there's no reason of course that if there are some tracks you are looking for you could list them on here or send an email and if i have them then they can be sent ? I'm listening to my ipod right now ........Supertramp !! there's no accounting for taste eh !
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Back is a lot better thanks Seaweed.
    Did intervals last night 3 x 1500 metres
    6 mins 51secs.
    No reaction to my back. no time to run today so rest day. but planning a 14 miler early tomorrow morning .... hope its not too cold !!!
  • Glad to hear it George.take it easy.

T and T . good to here Ocardo is delivering, where are you now.

I am down in London for a few days from 16th feb. will bring my smog mask
  • nothing will me me in that dept i am a lost cause. How are you Alex.
  • Hello Seaweed - Now living in Rootin' Tootin', SW17. I get so much less grief from the locals than I did when I lived in Deptford. Better class of smog too ;-) Where are you staying on your trip down to the Smoke?

Hello Alex - how's the running going?
  • Hi T and T Staying at my mums in nw london. I am collecting outside my old waitrose at Berkhamstead, for the charity i help. Posh area so normally good collecting.
  • I am looking to enter NY 2006 and just wondered whether people advise booking the whole package through 209 events or just the entry and flight and booking hotel seperate?

I'm travelling alone so is it quite a social event?

Thanks
  • Hi Bexmanc

Well, ours was definitely social as there were about 20 of us who met through this thread and then literally met in New York.

There seems to have been similar threads in subsequent years but I can't speak for how social they've been.

To get the entry, I booked my accommodation through Sports Tours and did the flights on air miles. My guess is that if you're prepared to put in the research, you could probably do it cheaper than going through a tour company. The advantage of doing it through one though is that everything is sorted for you and they might get better group rates at hotels.

Good luck with what is the most fantastic event.
  • Bexmanc. have you already got entry. ballot can be hard to win place.
    At least with tour company you get place.
    good luck .
    HI OB . Hows the training
  • hi guys-have been v busy w work and so not been too sociable.made it out for a 11 1/2 miler today in lovely spring sunshine-nice icy wind off the thames round docklands.10 min miling quite comdfortably and no real injuries to speak of,lots of roxy music.ideal...!have lost 1/2 stone since xmas and feeling fairly confident about the bath half,getting rid of another stone and pushing on through the summer for berlin still a bit too much to worry about right now given moving house etc...as ever,training sporadic but the endurance seems fine,struggling to shift from 10 to 9 as my ploidding pace.i think i need to lose some more weight and then push out more speedwork or all i'll do is rupture something....!
  • hi guys-have been v busy w work and so not been too sociable.made it out for a 11 1/2 miler today in lovely spring sunshine-nice icy wind off the thames round docklands.10 min miling quite comdfortably and no real injuries to speak of,lots of roxy music.ideal...!have lost 1/2 stone since xmas and feeling fairly confident about the bath half,getting rid of another stone and pushing on through the summer for berlin still a bit too much to worry about right now given moving house etc...as ever,training sporadic but the endurance seems fine,struggling to shift from 10 to 9 as my ploidding pace.i think i need to lose some more weight and then push out more speedwork or all i'll do is rupture something....!
  • well as forecast i tried -successfully- to push the speed up,i ran 6.75 in 9 min miling and pulled a groin muscle...physio next week.grr
  • delighted to report a return to running last monday with a 7 mile loosener round edinburgh which paved the way for a triumphant bath half-well i managed to tootle round in a metronomic pace to record 2.09.23
    it was a great day out with all the rugger b8ggers even if i didn't beat paul ackford...
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Well done Alex.. and good to see this thread bobbing up from time to time
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Well done Alex!!

After too many distractions in retirement, it looks like I'm back .... managed a 20 miler today in 3 hrs 10 minutes. ... roll on April 23rd

BOBO ? T&T man ? Anyone going to the expo on the Friday ?
    Trafalgar thistle on Saturday ?