A 'Real' Runner?

Hello and Welcome,

What's makes a person a 'REAL' runner? What is a 'REAL' runner? I realise that this is one of 'those' questions which is regularly asked but I always get the feeling that their are Classes of Runner.

Regards

Jon

Comments

• Donger

Sure, some people think you're only a 'real' runner if you've done a marathon or run under 32 minutes for a 10K, but as far as I'm concerned if you put on a pair of running shoes, step outside, and move along at anything more than walking pace, then you're a real runner.
  • MB

Totally agree with you - anyone who gets up from the couch – pulls on a pair of trainers and gets out there.

It’s not about distance or speed just taking part

Will
  • You're only a real runner once you've considered how much you've spent on running related products! This scares you into catagorising yourself to make it worthwhile!
  • Undoubtedly there are different classes of runner - at marathon starts, heck, even at Race for Life starts, for convenience they put you in different pens!

I've never seen a pen labelled "unreal runners", so I guess even the slowest must be real runners.

Seriously though, it's a question I respect, cause there are definitely days when I don't feel a runner at all! On my desk beside me I have the running vest sent by CLIC, for whom I will run on 20 Oct. It arrived this morning, with a wonderful sense of timing - I needed the husbands arm even to walk to Sainsbury's to do the shopping. Runner? Cripple more like.

And yet, I'm confident I'll get it back.

If you want to be out there, and when God wills, you are, then you're a runner. Never mind what pen you're in. Even today, I'll count myself as one.

All the best. Marj
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Anyone who runs is a real runner, irrespective of reason or distance. The only difference between us (recreational/serious amateur)than an elite runner is they do it as a job. We still have goals and dreams and put in the effort and time required to run. Therefore we are all 'real' runners! So happy running all!!
  • I agree with what people have said - it's running that makes you a real runner, nothing else. The only thing I would add is that the first time I felt confident enough to think of myself as a runner was that day when I realised I was just running, not wheezing, not feeling the pain, just enjoying the physical sensation of using my body and loving it.

Doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's great
  • Am i the only one who liked the old forum much more than this new thing. I
    cant get on with this new format at all.I have tried it dont like it its to crunched up

Dave 1983
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Anyone who suggests that all the running I did through those darkest winter nights doesn't make me a 'real runner' , is gonna get a punch on the nose !!!!!
  • Its a relief to read all the other views on 'real runners'. I don't think it matters as long as you get out there but must admit to getting a bit demotivated when I read some of the other threads. They only ever refer to stuff about marathons and I was wondering if I was the only one who uses this site but whose longest distance is "only a half", but more often a 10k!! Thanks everyone.
  • There are times when I'm training and niggling injuries get to me, and stop me completing runs how I would like to. At those times I often think that I can't be a 'real runner' as my body's struggling so much with it all.

Then, when I look back after competing a race, I think that having those injuries and being able to come through them all, and not giving up, is what all real runners do.
  • Yesterday, while on the last mile of eight, I was accosted by a lost driver who asked for directions. He started with "I'm sorry to interrupt your jog" - Jog? JOG? I'm RUNNING, I said.

Grrrrr!

Millipede
  • As has been said anyone who gets their trainers on runs is a runner.
    A lot of it is how you feel yourself, if you think "I am a runner" then that is what you are regardless of how far you run or how fast.
  • I went out in the p!!!ing rain yesterday and ran 6 miles. I am a real runner.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I agree with what's been said by others: anyone who regularly pulls on a pair of trainers and runs (or even walks/runs) is a 'real' runner. Some are recreational runners who run for fitness/pleasure with no intention of competing in events; others are driven by race performance and PBs. We all have different goals: what unites us is our crazy addiction to and interest in this sport of ours!
  • should have been therefore - not thinking
  • Minkin- it's not so crazy. It's my best toe-hold on sanity. All the doubts and fears that hound me, urge me to give up, sit on my shoulder and say "we'll get you in the end" running is the only effective way of jamming them, blotting them out, defying their ugly predictions.

Running, thinking running, planning running, reading training schedules, reading race reports and training session gossip in the forums, it's all wholely incompatible with being ill, being crippled, giving up, accepting paralysis.

Not crazy, it's my one tie with sanity and hope of recovery. And when for a while I must hide my trainers out of sight, when I can only walk and writhe with jealousy to see others run, then the demons return.

Not at all crazy, just the one lifeline.

Run!
  • On the whole 'real runner' theme: Don't know if any of you saw my post on the last forum, but there was an email sent round at work inviting people to enter a corporate team for Windsor, sub 90 runners only need apply ( though a 'fun-runner' and ladies' team might be entered as well). I was spewing about this - anyone who can't run a 90 minute half mara is only a fun runner, also, no 'lady' is a serious runner!!!! I take my running pretty seriously, run 4-5 times a week, enter races etc but there's no way I'm ever gonna run a 90min half!(my current goal is just to break 2 hrs) Does that mean I can't call myself a runner?!
  • Oh I feel guilty now... I actually sent an email to a local running club yesterday, starting with the sentence....'I am not a 'runner' by any stretch of the imagination..' but after reading all of the above, I think I am indeed a runner!!!
    Michelle x
  • I'm a runner, no PB's just get out and do it.Just to feel the body working the air around me and the stress going,you really don't need to justify to the real runners why you are doing it.ENJOY IT
  • The difference between a runner and a jogger is split times. Seriously, when you start paying attention to how far youve covered in a given time, then your a runner. Its the difference between saying "I'm going out for 5 miles" and "Im going for a half hour session".
    Controversial. Definitely, I'm only really saying this to ignite some sort of friendly debate. Y'know, devils advocate, car amongst the pigeons, etc.

PS Having said that, I think the most important criteria is getting your rear out of the door!
  • In another context, it's said that the term "poet" you should only apply to others, never claim for yourself.

• Sorry KorsaKing.. can't quite agree with that. I know you're a whippet and all that and more power to you but to call anyone who doesn't run 'fast' a jogger is an insult to them. We all (I guess) go out with similar motivations and that is to run as well as you can. For me that means you are a runner. The word jogger should be erased from the vocabulary.

P.S. 'car' amongst the pigeons???? bring back the edit facility eh?

All the best,

RB
  • RB,
    I'm no elitist! I didnt say there was a minimum speed criteria at any point! I meant that you are looking to see whether you cover a mile in 10 minutes or 20 minutes. Its not a speed cutoff that dictates your status in my proposed model, its the fact that you are looking at a watch and comparing time to distance at all. I.e. your monitoring your progression in speed/performance, however 'humble' your beginnings.
    Just because I'm considered a 'rocket' by some now, doesn't mean I dropped out of the womb that way! I've run my fairshare of 15-20 minute miles, I can tell you, and no point did I consider myself a 'jogger', even when I was 3 stone overweight, and running/waddling those said miles! I always liked to know how far I covered in a given time i.e my speed.
    See the distinciton?
    KK
    P.S. I also like the 'poet' idea LB. But I can't imagine Haille describing himself as a jogger, only to let his mate Tergat boost his confidence by saying "nahhh mate, you're a runner!" ;)
  • Hello KK,

I guess I see the distinction. You mean, I think, that if someone is just running round with no particular purpose (i.e. not checking time) then they are jogging. If they are taking note of their time and therefore, speed, then they are a runner.

So, you're saying that running is about purpose and progress and jogging is about just being out there with no thoughts of the speed that you're doing??

I'm still not convinced but I also imagine that most, if not all, people out ther DO think about progress and DO monitor their speed, which, by your definition makes them all runners...

I still HATE the word 'jogger'.

All the best,

RB
  • Jogger? Hah! After I'd done the London Marathon, I'd have doubled my sponsorship fund if I'd demanded a fiver from everyone who kindly enquired "Did you finish your WALK, then?! Admittedly, I was walking when I finished it, but even so...

I know I'm a "real" runner cos

- When I go on holiday, the first thing I look for is the availability of somewhere to train.

- I look at race schedules to see if there's anything on where I'm holidaying.

- I eat bananas by the bunch.

- When I go out for "three courses plus coffee", I eat everyone's leftovers and still rise from the table hungry.

- One of the drawers of my filing cabinet contains a pair of trainers and some slightly sweat-stained kit.

- I tell all my patients to stop wittering on about "diets" and go running instead.

- My kids always look a bit grubby and snot-nosed and neglected.

- My dream Christmas present would be a £220 Nike distance monitor.

I shall know I've really arrived when I plan my holidays around my races and get banned from "eat-all-you-can" buffets in restaurants.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Welcome back V-rap, your wit and wisdom has been missed. I see you are returned with renewed vigour, and the punches are not being held back.
  • Just for your info V-Rap, the Nike SDM now represents **slightly** better value @ £200 from Sweatshop and Start Fitness. Still a bit pricey for my liking tho! Price should come down again when Nike release their SDM/HR combo unit... hopefully
  • Their WHAT, KorsaKing? OK, you win, I'm not a real runner at all.
  • Rumour has it, on the US forums, that Nike are developing a speed distance monitor and HR monitor, combined into one! Not sure on a date tho, didnt read enough about it :) I hope it has a PC interface, otherwise in my mind, its going to be pretty difficult to get the maximum benefits from it...