MTB Bars

2»

Comments

• Already got one son!

Ha ha

Not quite sure what they are all about either thou!

Anyone know?

<ducks>

• Pal has one, and when I rode it I hated it, but 3 mins wasn't quite enough of a test was it. Feels v weird from the normal, but he likes it.
  • ...if your hands are in the same place calf.. then the riding position must be the same too.

• Good thread this!

I've been thinking of putting bar ends on my riser bar, to gain more of a roadie hood-riding style, but my riser bar is a bit wider than i would prefer. Any comments on putting the bar ends on the inside of the grips so that bar ends aren't really bare-ends, if you catch my drift?

• This raises its head again.

Multi, whatever turns you on. You might get a bit of a clash with your brake levers though.

ed_m - I had a go on a bike with flat bars the other day and it was twitchy. I think you could buy a new stem but it still wouldnt be the same.
  • course you could... course it would!

multi-most bar ends are designed sit at 90degrees to proper ahem..i mean.. straight bars... so on risers you might find them at a slightly weird angle.
  • ed_m

why do you think Specialized sell all their trail bikes with risers, and the more XC bikes like the Stumpjumper hardtail with flat bars.

There is also a sweep and rise on riser bars which allows you to get a more personal set-up. The biggest bonus I noticed on mine was the bars that came with my bike were only 600mm flat bars, so therefore switching to 660mm risers was an instant improvement in control.

Some of the XC pro's are still using flat bars, but you dont see any pro-downhiller's without riser's.

I used to race BMX and the closest bars that came to what you are describing was a product called 'Vector' bars which was designed to reduce weight. It came with a long stem to get the grip height combined with a low rise bar. It was the lightest bar on the market by far but it was too twitchy, and therefore bombed out pretty quick.

Your point's probably valid but its wierd how no-one is setting their bikes up this way. Maybe you should go into the bike industry and set up a new trend.

• ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I take ed_m's point but I think the one I made about them being slightly angled inwards to keep your wrists straight is still valid for very wide bars and of course bars have got wider - even for XC.
  • My mate used to ride with bar ends on riser bars without problems. It did look like he had a scaffold on the front and occasioanally got caught by them when falling off/going through small gaps etc.

Switched from bar ends to riser bar years ago, after a short time I never missed my bar ends.