MP3 Recommendation

Comments

• Has anyone any other views on the nike mp3?
  • Hi TryingTKU,

I've read many good reviews of the old Nike version, and was eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Philips since I've not been able to get hold of a Nike 128. However, the only reviews of the Philips version I've seen have been here, and sadly they don't seem to be good. If you can get hold of a Nike version then I'm sure taht would be a good buy, as long as it has enough memory for you (I can only find the 64).
  • Wee Piglet

Is the old version done by rio and nike? Were they good|? why did nike change them?
  • Hi folks,

Another MP3 player good for running is the Compaq iPAQ.

I've had it for about 8 months now and love it. No problems at all. A little slow to download onto, but not too bad.

Very light, don't know you have it on. The belt clip is very secure (can put it straight onto shorts without it falling off).

cheers
  • The old Nike players were Rio-made and, in my opinion, absolutely brilliant! They also had a slot for an MMC card to up the memory. I believe that the new ones are not expandable. Dixons in Chichester has all the players, so does Harrods and Niketown - last time I looked.
  • Psi, I wouldn't be too happy about cycling and using an MP3 player at the same time - I do like to know what's going on around me on the road. I'm fine running with MP3's though.

Road cycling is lots more dangerous than pavement running for me.
  • Thanks for the web address Korsaking I've just ordered a CA-100 so we will see.
    I did really like the Nike/Phillips player when it worked so perhaps Trying to keep up and Wee piglet should not be put off by my experiences. My wife says that the manufacturers of gadgets should employ me as a tester because if I dont't break them nobody will. As I work in a hospital it's probably just as well I'm not allowed near any complex equipment e.g. anything with a plug and an on/off switch
  • Hi TTKU,

Yes, the version I'd read so many good things about was made by Rio and Nike. I don't know why they stopped making them together. About mid 2002 I decided to get the 128 version (upgrading the Diamond Rio I'm already using) but by that time they seemed to have disappeared from the shops over here, and also from the websites. The 64 meg version was available, but too small for my purposes.

If you are interested in a Nike/Rio you might still find one on ebay.com - hang on and I'll look... yup, they're still there! See here. The Nike PSA 120 is the one I'm wittering on about.
  • TTKU,

Just to clarify... my piggy little memory was playing tricks with me on the memory size in the player. 64 meg's is the larger one i.e. the PSA 120 - and 32 meg's was the smaller one. I don't think there is a 128 meg one. The prices up there on ebay.com look really good - I'm going to get a coffee and ponder them with my credit card in my sticky little trotter.... :)
  • Wee piglet - I have the 128Mb Rio one that I bought on Ebay and then found the ickle Kiiro one on amazon which is truly tiny.

The Rio is OK, but a bit bulky, and the battery life seems a bit variable. OK if you charge it every night though. £50 to a weee piglet like you.
  • Hello Cougie :)

I'm suffering a crisis of conscience now - in the midst of my MP3 drooling I remembered that I'm supposed to be saving my pennies for a Timex SDM... I think I'd better hold back on the MP3 for now, but thank v. much for offering. You prefer the Kiiro, then? Maybe when it comes to upgrading I should look for something smaller?
  • Piglet - Kiiro is ace - you can tuck it into the key pocket on your shorts.

The Rio would be too big for your little trotters to cope with anyway.
  • Wow - I didn't realise the Kiiro was that small!! That really is quite fantastic! Does it have a belt device or armstrap too? What's the sound level like? Uh-oh....!!!

Do you know whether it'll play Audible books? (The one I currently use will play them, and sometimes it's lots of fun to listen to a book on long Sunday runs :)

I think you're right also about the size of the Rio and my trotters :)
  • It's got a strap that you can wear round the neck, like a pendant. Sound level is fine for running - loud enough for me anyway, but probably not as loud as the rio.

Err, audible books - not sure. I think it's only the MP3 format it takes. Is there a prog to convert the formats somewhere ??

I can get 3 hours of 'taped' radio onto it at decent quality, so that should be enough for most trots.

• You should all have a look at the creative MUVO player. Its about the size of a pen lid (no lies) and it allows about an hour and bit of music on it. It will only set you back £99. Have a look for yourselves at www.creative.com This is really the best thing for running woth music. If you are going to buy one this should be it.
  • Sorry to be thick, but assuming you have an MP3 player, how do you go about finding albums to download to your little machine? Is it from your music collection or off the net.

(sorry, completely green on such matters)
  • Steve -

1. you can play most CD's (some are now copy protected though) and record them on your PC as MP3 format and use those.

2. You can use a file sharing system - such as Kazaa and download tracks off the internet as Mp3's

3. You can record digital radio (BBC) using a prog called Total Recorder and convert that into an MP3 as well
  • I have ordered an mp3 from advanced mp3 players . t he 1st one they sent was the wrong one and the second didn't work. They are being very helpful though so I haven't given up hope yet.
    I'm sure somebody's asked this before but I would appreciate going through it one more time.#
    Is it possible to copy CD's in mp3 format using Windows XP and if not can I reformat from wma which is what it does now to mp3?
    Please be gentle with me in any explanation because I really am rubbish at computers
  • This is interesting. Am about to buy an mp3.
    Got the shortlist down to :
    Muvo MP3 64mb;
    Chic 128mb or
    Kiro 128mb.
    Cant seem to find Kiro (out of stock at Amazon apparently) so down to Muvo or Chic.
    Decisions, decisions.
  • www.advancedmp3players.com have stock in eveything whizzkid, and the new MPeye & I-Beam players look useful. Have a peek
  • The Kiro 128 was the one that advanced mp3 sent me by mistake. Very small and neat looking but also looked a little fragile to me
  • Haven't broken mine yet - but haven't dropped it either. There is v little weight in it, so it might be pretty robust ?
  • Just sent back my CA 1000 MP3 as I couldn't get it to install. Sent it back once and advancedmp3 said it worked on their test computer but I tried on 3 here 1)running windows98 1)running windows2000 and 1 running windowsXP none of them recognised the mp3 player. Jinxed or what
  • They used it with the supplied cable when they tested it. I.ve ordered the i-BEAD now so I will see what problems that brings (surely I can't have any more)
  • I have a Nike/Philips PSA 128. Was v. happy until it died on me after about two weeks (changed headphones though). Friend has a PSA 64 which is still going strong after about a month.
  • Jane dont't know whether youv'e read my earlier threads but I killed 2 Phillips/Nike in the space of a couple of months. One lasted 2 weeks or so the other about 3 weeks. Nice to know I'm not the only one
  • Gareth, yes I saw your comments and that prompted me to add mine to the thread in case anyone reading is considering buying one. I've sent it back now and will try again with a new one. Let's hope I don't repeat your experience! Good luck with your latest MP3.