Options

MP3 Recommendation

Comments

• Options
    Looking out for my first mp3 player for running. I'm on a budget and a bit of a technophobe so don't want anything too high tech.Any suggestions?

The Kiiro looks good, but a bit worried about the small memory as I'd like to get my money's worth and use it at times other than running.

Thought the rio sport mp3s look good, but they seem to get bad reviews on this site.

Be good if someone could recommend a player which comes with an arm band-hate having something hanging round my neck bouncing around. Are there any universal mp3 armbands which i could buy separately to an mp3?

Help! There's too much choice and all the technical jargon goes over my head!
  • Options
    Suzie, I've tried a lot of MP3 players from the Creative MuVo to the Rio, the Sony and also a Nike armband affair. They all did what they say on the label, but when it comes down to it they never really cut it. I've also tried various flavours of iPod (from a 10gig first version 4 years ago, to a 4G mini). But the iPod Shuffle is something simpler and by far outweighs all the critisism of the hard disk based units.

A hard disk based iPod (or any MP3 player for that matter) will, at some point during your running sessions, experience a hiccup or a hard drive 'read' error. Sometimes this may be a simple 'reset' to bring it back to life, other times it may require a little more care - but on each occassion you will have to stop running to sort it out. Running with the hard disk based unit in my hand seemed to me the best way to avoid the shock/twist that cause trouble for the drive mechanisms.

The iPod Shuffle on the other hand, being flash based and no moving parts, does not suffer from any of those functional problems. The key to the Shuffle is the ease of use with iTunes. If my mother can plug the Shuffle into her USB port and press a button to 'refresh' her iPod with new material then anyone can.

I would recommend you have a look at the Shuffle simply because it is SO easy to use; no fiddly screens to fathom out for example. You press play, forward, backward, pause, volume up/down. That's it, couldn't be simpler.

Sure, there are loads of other MP3 players on the market. In fact at the last count there were probably around 30 flash based players from £29 to £99 with between 256Mb and 1Gig of memory, and all with a varying degree of complexity when it comes to uploading songs to them. We have two Creative MuVo's - they're also a fine little device but lack the simplicity and integration when it comes to simply plugging them into your computer and uploading songs.

As for battery life and all that, well the Shuffle is built-in rechargable and will be good for a few years yet. At £69 plus £10 for the armband it is simply a great little device. We now have 4 in our household, mainly because I was getting fed up chasing my first one from one member to the next. !!

Hope this helps you with your choice.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info-do you work on commission for Apple!?!?

Had looked at the shuffle, but a bit concerned about it's compatability with my pc(not an apple mac). I've got a pretty up to date packard bell pc, windows xp etc......will i have problems ??

Am trying to decide between the shuffle and the kiiro.
  • Options
    Just been browsing website for mp3s. Found Thomson Lyra 128MB MP3 Player for only £45. Looks quite small and lightweight, comes with arm band and clip on earphones(are these as uncomfortable as they look???).....

Anyone know anything about it? Think I'm going to just take the plunge and go for the ipod shuffle-haven't really heard anything bad about it and looks like a good investment.Amazon have the 1gb version for £88.99 , although the arm band seems a bit steep at £20.
  • Options
    iPod Shuffle is fine both on PC (XP or Win 2000) and Mac. iTunes functions exactly the same.

As for Apple products - well, personally I believe they make great products and well thought out. It's all about the harmony between the user and the product and Apple seems to pull it off pretty well.
  • Options
    I have gone thru a few flash MP3 players, and am looking for a new one now. The biggest problem for me is finding one with a case and a BELT CLIP, which I think is a must. My current iBead 150 has a natty little case with a nice sturdy clip.

Has anyone spotted a 1gb flash player with this sort of case? Or even an aftermarket one thats not huge? (I don't like to wear a belt just to hold a tiny player). Cheers Nick
  • Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭
    Nick

I've just got a fabby creative muvo n200. It comes with a case and clip AND an arm band.

The best thing about it is that you can record directly onto it from any device with a headphone socket. Plug it in press record and it will encode it for you.

Brilliant.
  • Options
    Thank X. I really want one I can recharge via USB too tho', not one with batteries. I think that takes a battery eh? Nick
  • Options
    Nick - how do you charge it up when you go on holiday?

Replaceable batteries are a must for me.
  • Options

Great selection in www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

• Options
    >>how do you charge it up when you go on holiday?

Just find a friendly PC and plug it in :o)
    But that has only happened once. The internal lithium batteries last weeks. I much prefer them to disposables or separate rechargeables.

>>www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

I agree! Happy customers of theirs. But the buggers have nowt now that have a case with CLIP, internal battery AND a standard size USB plug. The closest one I have found is at www.neodigits.com, but that does not have a full size usb plug built in - grrrrrr. I must be getting fussy in my old age...
  • Options
    Ahhhhh, made some progress. For anyone that is interested in an MP3 which has an internal battery AND case with belt clip (must-have for runners in my view) check out iBead 400, Cowan iAudio U2 or Neodigits.com OLED player.
  • Options
    Nick - you obviously don't go to the same holiday places as me!

Never been any friendly PC's in the places I stay :o(
  • Options
    P-F, there is normally a PC or two knocking about somewhere. Laptops and even some flat screens have built in usb hubs that will do the trick.

I have been snookered in my search for one with a full size USB plug, tho'. Looks like the latest trend is to have a USB mini plug, so that you have to use an adaptor to connect the player to a regular USB port - snnooorrrre. I am a bit fed up looking now, so might have to settle for one of those. N
  • Options
    Good luck in your quest Nick :o)
  • Options
    Bit dull this subject I know but I could not cope without music on long runs. Hence the importance of getting something good :o)
  • Options
    I agree with PF re the batteries .... I have the Sony 1g and carry a spare AAA (tiny) battery with me and can change the battery during a run if necessary though it hasn't happend yet ... I get 72hrs+ from one tiny battery.

I also download books which is great for a long run. For a small charge, I get them from the library and download them. Makes a change from music
  • Options
    Books - what a good idea. I've never thought of that. It takes me about 18 months to get round to reading each Harry Potter book. I could take it running with me and be done in a week!
    Excuse my ignorance but do books come on CD's these days? In my youth they were on cassette.
  • Options
  • Options
    PF ... there are not so many on CD but a reasonable selection at my local library. They vary in length from about 7 CD's long to 16. I've recently got out 'little Britain' radio seies on 3 CD's. So I'll be laughing as I run instead of trying to sing along to the music. Library has also got a reasonable selection of music CD's. BBC website has a fairly extensive variety of mp3 downloadable radio programmes. Worth paying a visit.
  • Options
    Audio books and Podcasts? Take a look at the offerings on iTunes Music Store. I bought Michael Chrichton's Timeline last year, and also Contact. Really nice features and superb way to while away a lazy sunny day whilst on holiday by the pool!!!
  • Options
    Cheers folks - trip to the library planned for the weekend for a little look.
    Still on dial-up so not keen on downloading from the BBC. When I get broadband...
  • Options
    Hi there
    What's the best MP3 player for running at the moment?
    Doing the Boddington 50K so will need plenty of music!
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I just did all the research on these, looking for a replacement for my trusty ibead. I reckon the Ibead 400 or the cowon iAudio U2 (from www.goaudio.co.uk) are prob top of the list. Various sizes, but the 1gb is ok price, they have internal battery and most importantly (for me) comes with a decent case with clip for attaching to the running shorts! Both these have mini-usb plugs however, so to attach/charge etc from your pc they need an adaptor (which is included).

I prefer players with full size USB plug tho, the only one I found with 1gb was the Visual Land vl503/vl543 series, on ebay.com. (they deliver to europe)
  • Options
    Thanks very much Nick99 - will investigate
    Cheers!
  • Options
    Has anybody tried the Sony S2 Sports NP3 player? (code NW-S23).
    The website says its water resistant and comes with carry case and clip-on headphones so it sounds ideal. However, I haven't seen it yet in any stores in the UK.

Swede
  • Options
    I have not, but have had sonys in the past. I gave up on them because they do not support drag-n-drop, or other music apps to move music to the player. You have to install their software on your pc and you must move all songs back and forth thru this. Its their way of stopping piracy.

Sucks a lot, quite restrictive. That is why they are suffering in the MP3 player market, apparently. I went to a Sony store just the other day as I saw a new model now 'supports MP3 format' - but they told me its all still the same. You have to use their application to move the files, and then the software keeps track. So be sure you are comfortable with this before investing in a Sony.
  • Options
    Nick99 I have a Sony (NW-E407) and don't find it any problem at all. Saying that I don't have experience of any other MP3 players.
    I chose the Sony cos it is so small and light and I really don't like the look of the ipods (girly viewpoint there you see, based on looks and weight).
  • Options
    Hi AnnaSpanna. Are you the AnnaSpanna I confused with another on that 'other' runners website? :o)

I have been thru quite a few MP3 players, and although the Sonys I had were good, I don't think they compete well now in the market.

I agree with you about the iPod, those hard-disk based players are big and I have known too many people have them freeze during a race (whoops), which sucks rather. But there are lots of other flash-based (i.e. small) players to choose from now which are just as small as the Sony but often cheaper and more flexible.
  • Options
    Hi. I see you are interested in MP3 players. Well here's a website where Ipods are given away free. Try it out - it works + is 100% genuine. Even the BBC say its legal. The website is : http://www.ipodgrab.co.uk/?r=8744

Try It!!

Instructions on how to complete without paying can be found on:

The way to work the system is to sign up to the 'Screenselect' 1 disk at a time package. It is advertised at £9.99 per month. HOWEVER, the opening offer is of a month's free trial. YES, you do have to give them credit card details, BUT nothing is charged to the card at all, unless you allow a month to elapse when you will be billed for the first amount of £9.99. The SECRET is to sign up as if you were going for the 1 disk deal and after 4-5 days it should show on your IPODs account that you have 'completed the offer'. As soon as that info appears on your account, it can't change. So, you then
    go to the 'My Account' section in Screenselect' and cancel the subscription. It's actioned within 24 hours and all you have to do is to return any outstanding discs you've still got. It's that easy. They make their money from the people who don't cancel, and believe me, many people don't, just like those who stick with poor bank accounts or mortgages!