MP3 Recommendation

Comments

• I have a Sony NW-507 (or something like that - 1GB with radio anyway). In pink (stops hubby borrowing it)!

REALLY like it, but then it's my first, so have nothing to compare it with...

Sony software is easy to use. Completely jog-proog. Only thing is there is no waterproof case - tucked it in my waistband last Sunday as it started raining, and unfortunately it got a bit "sweaty" on the inside... uuueegh..

has dried out now, and have purchased a natty little armband case to keep it sweat free and rainproof!

Has a rechargeable battery of the USB, quick charge in 3 mins, excellant battery life, looks great!
  • Hi guys. I've never had an mp3 before so I think it's time I tried one. I've seen a Phillips key105 model at half price on Currys web site. Its a solid state model (thats what us runners need isn't it) but doesn't have a belt clip. Can you buy a belt clip anywhere? Any views much appreciated
  • If you want an MP3 player get one of these iRiver iFP-899 - 1GB Flash MP3 Players http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007OJMSA/qid=1123443298/br=3-2/br_lfncs_ce_2/202-5119876-9045428
    with a rechargable batt it lasts at least a week of runs and cycling to work. radio tuner, voice record, MP3, direct record from CD. I get about 20 CD's worth of MP3 on mine.
    Had it since Jan absolutely no problems.
  • Cheers Boomerang, I'll check it out.
  • >>Can you buy a belt clip anywhere?

Hi T-R.
    I spent a long time looking for these, as some of the best mp3 players don't come with any case suitable for runners. And don't start me on arm straps...! ;o)

The best bet it seemed was to buy either a penknife case, there are many types available. The generic mp3 cases I have seen were not so good.

Alternatively get a mp3 that comes with a case. Look further back in this thread and you'll see my personal choices, which were an iBead and a Cowon. Both of those were hi spec players with a proper case with a belt clip.
    Nick
  • Thanks Nick. I might see if I can locate a penknife case before I commit myself.
  • Apologies if we've already been thru this but can anyone recommend MP3 earphones that will actually stay in your ears while running? The standard ones supplied with my MP3 keep falling out, especially once I've worked up a sweat. TIA
  • Ah, once again I must recommend the 'Koss The Plug' earbuds. Cheap, sound ok, sweat does not kill them and they come with various deformable foams for different ears. Feel like earplugs rather than headphones.

Lots of people sell them, I got mine from www.advancedmp3players.co.uk. Nick
  • Aaaah, the armband problem....

I know it well.

Never thought of a penknife case - I actually ended up in a camping shop and got a mobile phone case that will velcro onto my sat nav armband. Not brill, but better than it getting wet (and I found it got sweaty wearing it on my waistband). You can get cases for the bigger hard drive players but not it seems for the small flash players (the size of the cases defeats the object of buying that size of player in the first place!

Strange really, when you think these very small flash players are aimed at runners... I think they must think we all pose at the gym, not run outside in real weather and stuff!!
  • Same comment goes for the earbud problem - first sign of rain and they drop out!

But then it doesn't rain in the gym, does it!?
  • I knew that would happen - you need to read the last message on the previous page to make sense of that one!
  • Ahhh, R-M, you must have funny ear-holes like me ;o) After failing with many other headphones the Koss Plugs finally solved it for me, as the plugs expand in your ear canal :o)

Nothing funnier than watching someone on the treadmill with earphones that constantly fall out eh? That was me that was...
  • Thanks for the tip Nick99, will try that website.
  • StuTStuT ✭✭✭
    I had an Ipod shuffle bought me recently but took it back, it's not compatible with Win98 and also with my colour blindness I struggled to see whether my battery was full or empty. I am colour blind in reds/greens.

I swapped it for a Sony NW-E105 512MB and love it.

There you go.

• Phew - have just been trailing through this thread and considering it started in 2002 you can imagine how much there was to go through!
    We are thinking of getting a friend of ours one of these for his birthday, does anyone happen to have kept a summary of all the recommended ones that that have been mentioned here?
  • I've got a Creative MuVo N200 1Gb player. It does the job just fine. Comes with a belt clip and arm band. Once the driver is loaded you can drag and drop. Also has an FM radio and MP3 recording facilities. I bought 2 of these from Amazon.co.uk. I went for a black one but my girlfriend wanted a white one.

The battery life is about 10-12 hours and I run mine on a single rechargeable AAA.

I went for a flash based player because all the hard disc based players are not recommended for sport. The iPod user manual says it in the small print. This is strange considering the image they like to portray in the TV adverts with people jumping around!

(Avoid the free ipod scams. They are basically pyramid schemes. The BBC said they *might* be legal but no one has ever received their free ipod. The poster who included their referral link should know better than spamming this forum Grrrr)
  • Does any know of/use/recommend an MP3 player with a digital radio? Don't see the point of getting an analogue one if I'm going to use it for a few years....
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Anyone took a look at the new iPod "Nano" ?

It's a really sexy little "flash" mp3 player (with radio but doubt it's digital!)
    It makes the iPod "Mini" look bulky by comparison and ios available in black or white and 2gb or 4gb. It also has a colour screen and can store photo's as well as music.
    There are a range of accessories available such as the "Lanyard" type earplugs which will not get yanked out of your ear and also allow the player to hang around yer neck (under your top if you prefer to prevent bouncing about). There are also some nice "bluetooth" earphones by Creative available which mean no messy wires (Take a look in the following websites for info .
    wireless sports headphones by Creative = http://www.nickknows.com/description.php?id=126

iPod "Nano" = http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodnano/

The "Nano" also has other accessories such as a docking station and arbands etc....

No I don't work for them!!! They just seem ideal for runners.

Mac
  • The Nano would have been my ideal iPod from the start!!!! If only I hadn't committed so much to 2 iPod shuffles, 2 iPod mini (sons 1 & 2) and an original iPod 5Gig.

Anyway, out with the credit card........ just order the super sexy black one 4gig model....... MMmmmmmmmm
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    OOOh yes sir you know it makes sense!!!! oh oh oh "suits you sir"

Dead jealous I may have to wait for Christmas!

Check out the creative wireless headphones too though oh oh oh!!! "Mmmmmmm wireless" http://www.nickknows.com/description.php?id=1263

Mac.
  • Been recommended the Shure E3c.
    Pricey and don't want to take the plunge until confirmed worth it http://www.wetdawg.com/RSS/B2/htdocs/artman/show_article.php/touring/2005/03/touring.headphones.html
    Anyone come across?
    MAC - NANO sounds great - I'm itching to get one as well.
    Don't like the look of your headphones though and IPODLOUNGE aren't eager http://ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/comments/logitech-wireless-headphones-ipod/
    Looks as if I will stick with my cheapo ones for now.........
  • The Shure earphones get good reviews when I see them mentioned. The only problem I can see is that you are just as likely to break or snag expensive headphones as you are cheap ones. For that reason I tend to go for 'acceptable' rather than 'great' headphones so I don't have to worry about losing or breaking them. Or worrying about getting them wet in the rain!

The iPod nano looks quite good and it is flash based so great for running. If it had been released 6 months ago I would have been considering one now.
  • I went to the Apple store and played with an ipod nano.

It was so ugly.

And the screen was useless.

And the sound was really poor quality.

And the build quality looked shoddy.

OK. I admit it. Actually it looked and sounded perfect and gorgeous. I wanted to give it a home. I just can't afford one right now :-(
  • After ages trying to make a decision, I went for a Sony NW-E105 512MB, one of the main reasons was it needed to be compatible with windows 98se. I'm really pleased with it. It's easy to use - on the run. The battery lasts ages - took it on a 10 day holiday and there was hardly any dip in the battery symbol using it a couple of hours a day. Very pleased with it, and would recommend.
  • StuTStuT ✭✭✭
    Well done Oh my darling clementine, that's what I've got (see above). I needed it to be compatible win Win98. Great battery life.
  • I managed to kill my 1Gb Shuffle by being a wee bit, um, careless with it. But Apple replaced it under warranty with a shiny new one anyway. Which I'm going to sell as I've since bought a Nano.

So if anyone is looking for a Shuffle, drop me a line: mike@spartan.cc

I think the retail for a 1Gb is £89, so I'd be looking for £60 if anyone is interested.
  • I can't be bothered to read all this thread but i would just like to tell you about my ipod shuffle. I take it running alot (with the string around my neck) and have had no probs apart from the metal bit getting a bit rusty form sweat. then during a marathon the other week it seemed to get extra sweaty (it was tucked in my bra) and the sound was crackly. when i got home i realised there was actually sweat trickling out of it so i charged it up and it got all hot and the sweat evaporated. Good as new! have gone and bought a sports case for it now though as i should take more care of it since it is so fantastic.
  • You peeps seem to know what you're on about, so can I put a question?

I'm thinking of getting an mp3 player (generic, no-name) for my slightly disabled nephew. His sis has an iPod shuffle. So, will the iTunes software work with any mp3 or just the shuffle? If not, any recommendations, preferably freeware?

(I'm looking at generic mp3s rather than fancy brand name because nephew, being slightly disabled, is ham-fisted to put it mildly).

Ta in advance!
  • iTunes will work with almost any MP3 player (aprt from my array of iPod devices I've also a Creative MuVo and another un-named unit). The only thing to note is that your MP3 player will not be able to play music bought from the iTunes Music Store ....... directly.

Your generic MP3 player will be happy to play songs that have been encoded as an MP3 - this is not a problem since iTunes will encode in whatever format you want when you set up your preferences before importing songs.

You can also burn your iTune Music Store songs to a CD and re-import them back into iTunes as an MP3, so that gets around the 'only work with iPod' myth.

What you get with the Shuffle and iPod is the extra functionality like the built in transfer and syncronisation.

With your generic MP3 player, it will sit in the iTunes source list and wait for you to drag and drop the songs into it, then you press 'eject' (you may not need to do that now though) and the songs will transfer to your player as described.

When you plug your player back in, your songs will be displayed in the iTunes list and you can delete/replace or whatever as simple as that.

Hope that helps.
  • Cheers Rob. It all makes sense.