Abuse When Running

13»

Comments

• This is really quite disturbing. I have never experienced any abuse, which makes my thoughts a bit redundant? It may have something to do with me being a 6' male and practicing martial artist? You need to feel safe when you run as your mind and body are otherwise occupied making you an easier target.

Take precautions; running in a group and/or with a dog, take a mobile phone, run in public places with good visability. As mentioned earlier, taking evasive action, ie crossing the street if something ahead looks dodgy.

I run where and when it suits which has lead to me being in situations which with hindsight I wouldn't be, such as running alone at night along narrow tree-lined paths. On these occasions I have to confess to taking extra precautions. Carrying offensive weapons is an arrestable offence, however, it is not unreasonable to carry house keys. On such occasions I have held my keys in my hand as a fist with one key protruding through my fingers. At best nothing will happen, at worst you were a little more prepared.

Attending self-defence classes can boost your confidence, and maybe just help you to see the potential dangers better and allow you to plan safe routes.

Enjoy your running, the vast majority of society are decent people from whom you have nothing to fear. - I can't comment on cows ;-)
  • "On such occasions I have held my keys in my hand as a fist with one key protruding through my fingers"

so, in a sticky situation, where would you strike first with your home made knuckle duster? not a p!ss take, just curious.

• Gary, if it has come to this (in practice highly unlikely to happen) you are fast running out of options. Ignore the body and go for the face; cheeks are good - lots of blood. This will panic your attacker allowing you to leg it - adrenaline will give you the required burst of speed.

Once safe call the police and deal with the consequences. Sadly you will be in the wrong, the way I look at it; you're alive.

Word of caution; avoid eyes and throat. Very effective, but you don't want to end up facing manslaughter when you only went out for a run ;-)

By far the best method of defence is not to be there; run away and live another day.

In practice what would happen, you meet some ruffian of ill intent, you were alert and react so you turn tail and leg it. They may give chase, but considering that they are low-life scum they are unlikely to put any effort into actually catching you. They will just jeer and pat themselves on their backs at having scared you off.

You've had a freight but have got some speed training out of it?? ;-)
  • I'm getting scared now - I only want to run, not fight World War 3 on my own! And I've only ever been subjected to wolf whistles and car horns, which I quite enjoy!
    I was once joined by a teenage lad, showing off to his mates. I was heading up a bit of a hill, so by half way, he was on his knees gasping for breath. I must admit, I did look behind a couple of times to check he was OK - wonder if I'd have been done for manslaughter if he'd keeled over?
  • Quite right, sorry; got a bit sinister back there ;-)

As I said, majority of society are lovely people. Running is fantastic and safe, no need to worry so long as we use our noodle. :-)
  • I once got hit in the knackers by a stale cheese and pickle baguette thrown from a passing car. Managed to keep running though (just - as some impact!). Still it was Govan in Glasgow so it could have been worse.
  • CCB - sorry it must have been awful, but I had to giggle at the stale cheese and pickle baguette. It could have been a lot worse, what if it had been egg mayonnaise?? I bet that hardens into concrete.

• . . . or some form of deep fried traditional Scottish culinary fare (connoisseur of the tattie & bean pie myself)
  • A baguette in GOVAN!!

<boggles>
  • They were in a car - don't think they lived there :)