Options

Is there any point...

Is it worth bequeathing your entry fee? I have been rejected 3 times now and have bequeathed every year. Ok I have a watch and a polo shirt, etc, etc but I could buy these if I wanted them. I would like to say that I bequeath because I want to donate to charity but honestly it is because I feel I would have a better chance of getting a place. It doesn't seem to work like that though. What are other people's success rates?

Comments

• Options

I bequeathed my entry fee because I was happy for it go to charity if I didn't get in - there's no point bequeathing it for any other reason because the chances of getting one of the extra 1,000 places is so minimal.

I don't find it remotely insulting - what's so insulting about asking people if they'd like to make a donation to charity? If you don't want to donate your fee, then don't - it's as simple as that. It's less insulting that one of those charity collectors who seem to hassle you on the streets these days and then give you withering looks when you say you're not interested.

I'm not sure what you're really angry about, Oracle? Is it that you were asked to make a donation to charity if you didn't get in, or that you might not get in because there are places dedicated to championship / good-for-age / charity / etc runners, and that you don't fit any of these?

You know what the entry criteria are - if you don't like them, tough. It's their race, they can use whatever entry system they like, but you seem to think that because you're an "ordinary runner", that you deserve an automatic place?

• Options
    I applied for the first time last year and bequeathed because whilst being happy for the money to go to charity I also half hoped it would give me a better chance. Lo and behold I got a place at the first attempt, so obviously I bequeathed again this year. What I now think from what I've heard and read recently and from my own experience is:
    a) I was really lucky to get in last year.
    b) I probably won't get in this year.
    c) As I decided to run for charity last year anyway I'll probably take a Golden Bond place this year even if I don't get in via the ballot.

The only difference this year is that I know my cheque's been cashed whereas last year I didn't. It's a bit like waiting for exam results isn't it.
  • Options
    Guestie I did the same last year, and this year bequethed also, but this time because living in London I know the money goes to London charities to help promote sports for children. Both my boys (5 and 6) take part in a local running track (Norman Park) which the local authority wanted to close (Cost cutting), but local support and sponsorship kept it open and the council slashed someone elses budget.

I was offered a golden bond place this year by the charity I ran for on 15th April as I had raised money for them even though I had run under the normal ballot. If I get in this year I won't be running for charity, as I want to safe my friends family etc for London to Brighton in 2004, but if I don't then maybe I will take up the Golden Bond place, or maybe I will look at Paris...

At the end of the day £27 a year is still a lot less than £1 per week spent on the National Lottery, the chances of getting in are a lot higher than winning the lottery, and all the money goes to the racecharity and not some fat cat American company with a dubious history of buying politicians in other countries