Options

Himalayan 100 mile stage race

I've paid the deposit! Anyone else doing it? Been reading the 'Complete Guide to Endurance Training' for hints on a training programme. Any advice welcome.

http://www.himalayan.com/sr1.html

Comments

• Options
    It is on my list of "must do" races - but presently booked into other things this year. You might like to read a Diary of one of the competitors who competed a few years back - can be found here (if I can do links correctly)

diary or race
  • Options
    I'm doing it this year - really looking forward to it. although renewing my passport before I book. Have you booked through Mr. Pandy directly or the tour operator?
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I booked through Mike Gratton's outfit 2:09 (the ad might be just to the right of this message>>>).

I'll let you into a little secret, Mimi. There may well be a item in the next RW about training for it..... possibly with a photo of a furry person!
  • Options
    Thanks, already spoken to Mike Gratton - will prob go through them as its a much easier way of doing it - anything for an easy life!!

Have just completed the GUCR so have cut my training down for a bit! Apart from the altitude in the Himmies the daily distances aren't too bad - she says with confidence!

Look forward to seeing a photo of a furry person in next months RW!
  • Options
    auntie mimi has talked me into going as well, so ,i in turn have talked mrs yrm into coming as well, whether she likes it or not, she is training well and is due to run her first half marathon soon, talk about baptism of fire for her, with a bit more training i am sure she will do well, might even have to watch my own back! see you on the hill womble.
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Wow, at this rate we'll have a whole contingent from the forum! We could write up our experience and submit it to the magazine..... I'm also bringing a fellow runner from my club.

Mimi, sounds like you're more of an ultra person than me. Any chance of some training tips, please? Or from you, YRM?
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Ooh look, page 40, it's there!
  • Options
    Have just returned from running with a client on a beautiful sandy beach, came home with a cup of coffee and my fav magazine - and there it was, although I have to say your not so fury in the picture!!!!!
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Mimi, yes there are comments elsewhere about the lack of furryness. Not as polite as here in Tri.
  • Options
    I shall look forward to meeint you in the flesh in October! I am really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    hi Womble,

Quick question. Are you looking for someone to share a room with on the first night - a very forward question I hear you say!!! The reason being I am looking for someone to share a room with a friend of mine (I am already sharing) if you are interested let me know.

Hows the training going? I was very pleased to see that the article in RW was what I had planned to do - but always good to see it written down.

Mimi
  • Options
    am just about to get into serious training for this event now. have started hitting the hills and am having a gentle run around the north yorkshire 3 peaks this thursday. they go up to 2400feet, nowhere near as high as 12000 but its the best i can do at the moment in time, i will let you know how i go on.
  • Options
    thats keen!! I'm starting my training next week, that gives me 15 weeks!! Did Bewl 15 on sunday - very very hilly section in the middle which completed killed me - must still be recovering from the GUCR (any excuse!) Will be incorporating much more hill training in the next 15 weeks.
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Hi Mimi. Am travelling with a friend from my running club who is, in theory, also doing the stage race in its entirety. So, sorry but already have a room-mate. Am starting to up my mileage but suspect but I'm just not in your league. Did two one hour runs yesterday and am hoping to do 10-ish tonight. Training will probably start really really next week when I no longer have a job to pre-occupy me! No excuses either :-(

I'm doing New Forest marathon in September and am thinking about Great Langdale half in August if I can get there. Other than that lots of running up and down the inclines in Richmond Park and on Epsom Downs (ever wondered why they're called Downs and not Ups?).

Has anyone else had their paperwork from Mike Gratton's outfit yet? I rang them up in a fit of pique yesterday, having booked exactly two months ago. Allegedly my bumf was in the post as we spoke. Bit much considering I've paid up the deposit for two people! Who cares about a few people doing some marathon in the US?

Ok, Mike, sure you're lovely really.
  • Options
    Hi Womble, don't worry, I spoke to them today and they will pair her up with someone else so all is well thanks.

I haven't got any races planned before the Himmies, but my training will be as for a marathon but obviously longer distances and lots of hills. thankfully in kent we have LOADS OF THE B****Y things!

I spoke to Mike today as well and was also told that my stuff was in the post - thats what they always say! apparently there are only 7 of us who have booked so far - what an elite group we are!
  • Options
    Paul, hows the training going for MoB? not long now - I'm quite jealous, but I can't believe it will be as good as last year!
    Mimi
  • Options
    boingy, boingy
    ok , i thought i,d bring back this thread since the weeks are flying by and the event is getting ever nearer, update for me so far.
    up to 60 miles per week, now the work starts increasing mlieage each week, not a good run at nottingham, chose wrong shoes to run in and knocked the hell out of my calves (who says you can never learn anything)unhappy 3:36, buying every little gadget i can lay my hands on to help me with the altitude (even trying canned oxygen)
    the missus had an excellent run in the half marathon 1:54, her second half marathon and not bad since she only started running in january, shes panicking a little but i am sure she will be fine, just sorted all the paper work out for the visas and sent it off. really wished we could get out a couple of days early to acclimatise but not possible so will have to make do, more to follow
  • Options
    Hi, my training was going really well until a couple of weeks ago, but hopefully I shall be given the all clear on thursday and off I shall set again! Paul, whats wrong with 3.36 might I ask!! - you're just looking for excuses!!
    Going to London tomorrow to sort out the Visa so hopefully this time they wont send me home!!
  • Options
    hi mims, no excuses, messed up ran in my racing flats, marathon too far to run in them, not enough cushioning, legs settled down now so can carry on upping mileage, glad to hear your ankle on the mend.
  • Options
    Hi, supposed to be doing a long run on friday with Max - getting very frustrated with the lack of running - doing a lot of gym work and biking with clients so at least keeping my fitness up!
  • Options
    Hi, Mimi. I'd love to hear how you get on with the visas. Perhaps you could e-mail me? I'm intending to go in person to get ours, so it would be great to avoid any pitfalls.

I've been low on mileage the last couple of weeks. Well, low for this training! Did manage ~115 miles over a two week period so was pleased with that. Doing New Forest marathon this Sunday. As a training on hills with mile markers, not as a race. Small recovery then a couple more weeks heavy then, gulp.........
  • Options
    Off tomorrow to get the visa - will let you know how I get on. Last time they said that they would have to keep my passport for 5 days - watch this space - anything can happen at the Indian High commission!

I'm not doing any races between now and the himmies as there aren't any local ones - any excuse!! very lucky as went to south of france for two weeks, I have never seen SO MANY HILLS! fantastic training.

speak tomorrow.
  • Options
    Mimi, thanks for the e-mail.

Well I did New Forest marathon yesterday. Was quite pleased with my 4.14.16 (or 4.13.58 on my watch), especially as there were a few hills. Ran all the way which, again, considering the hills I was chuffed with. Today, I can move well although not sure that I'd want to run another 20 miles.

Now, in 6 weeks time it'll be day 2.......
  • Options
    Hi Womble,

Well done on your marathon. I'm getting very excited about the race now. Are you going out early?
  • Options
    Yes, we're flying out on Tuesday rather than Thursday so we get a couple of extra days to acclimatise. Excitement is starting to set in as I can now say "in 6 weeks....".
  • Options
    Errr, now it's "In five weeks I'll already have started the race." Big eeeeeekkkk
  • Options
    back on track this week (70+ miles) after a small lull last week, now ready for the next big step over the next 2 weeks, 100+ miles per week, only hope my little yorkshire legs hold up. why did i choose to live on a bloody big hill!!!
  • Options
    YRM, coz hills are good for training on. I've got the same thing as you where i live, but like i said it feels like good practice for me.
  • Options
    Glad to hear your running is back to normal! I seem to be back on track - did a long one today but will probably not do more than 70 - 80 miles per week - do we need to do 100+ miles per week?
  • Options
    you probably don't, but i find i run better with more mileage in my legs prior to an event, its a long time since i have been this fit so i will find out in just over 4 weeks time