Little Nemo's Marathon Adventure

Comments

• Hi to everyone in the thread.
    I'm doing the Bristol Half in two weeks and have just sent off my form for the FLM05. Missed out the last 2 years so maybe this year. Unfortunately not getting any younger and the old legs may not last if I don't get in soon.
    BTW, great knee bloke in Bristol, John Webb the ex-England rugby full back is a consultant here, not cheap but sorted me out.
  • Long time no post... tardy ginger kitten

Hope everyone is well and hello to all the new posters!

Fraggle, best of luck to your Dad for his treatment, hope things get better for you all.

Feel able to post now as I've just been to the gym at work, first time in about 3 weeks. Where did the summer go? Things are still about the same with me, still waiting for MRI scan appt. for knee, still managing a bit of running, swimming and gym work but not making a lot of progress. Work is back to normal but endlessly watching the Olympics scuppered all my good plans. Isn't it amazing how interesting bizarre sports where you don't even understand the rules can be when you're supposed to be doing housework, training etc?!?

Aiming for 5K at end of month - really hope I can make it to this one, I've missed about 3 so far! Thankfully the RunLondon 10K isn't happening just yet so I've still got a bit of time to train for this as well.

226 days to go!
    :-)
  • Boing!

I feel like a tough athlete.
    Sit-ups and stuff on Friday, 7 mile run on Saturday and then played an hour of 5-a-side football last night! It won't last :-).

Aiming for the Legoland 10k on Sunday, with hills and a bit of rough ground it should be a good hard slog.
  • See you there andyp!

Did myself proud at the Great South Run on sunday - got both 10k and 10M pb's in one race!

• Nice one Fraggle that's brill.
    I'd better let you past on the narrow trails this Sunday then!
  • arf! somehow I think my legs have done their bit for a while, I think sunday will be much more leisurely, so after you then......
  • No, I insist, after you :-)
  • I feel really guilty now. Haven't been doing as much running (or other exercise) as I should so I'm really jealous of you dedicated people. Well done both of you and good luck for the 10K!

Still my training might be picking up now as I didn't manage to get a place on the Nike 10K so I've got to try and do 5x 5K training runs to get one of the reserved places left over. I bet loads of other people are trying this - wonder if I can do 5 in 5 days?!?

I've finally got a date for my MRI scan - 23rd December, v. festive!

186 days to go!
  • It doesn't sound much when you say it like that!
    Better get a move on..............
  • I'll do a mile per day for the next 26 days!
    Does that count?

But then there will only be 160 days to go. Heeeeeellllllllppppp..
  • 3 mile plod this lunchtime
    hurrah!
    is it me or is it humid out?
  • I'm starting from a very slooow pace. Managed 3 miles the other day which I was rather chuffed with (mixed speeds and 2 mins walking every 10 mins). Entered my time into a pace calculator and I am looking at a 6 1/2 hour marathon!

Nike 10k is first target and hoping for sub 70 mins but a lot of work to do.

Am I the slowest here?!
  • I managed about 5k last night and I'm doing another 5k tonight. Think I might feel a bit rough by tomorrow.

Andyp, it's not just humid here - it's lashing down!

Wooster, you're faster than me! Took me 76 mins. for my 1st 10k and I'm not much faster now.
  • I just assume I'm the slowest runner around as not exactly built for speed!

FLM is looking like a very long way at the moment but we've got ages to go (think positive). What other runs are people doing between now and FLM? I was thinking of a 10mile in Jan.
  • Wooster
    I'm doing:
    17/10 - Legoland 10k
    28/11 - Nike London 10k thingy
    5/12 - GRIM - fab
    Jan - dunno yet
    Feb - Bramley 20? Will I be that fit? maybe the 10 mile option
    Mar - Reading half m

That's it so far

Little Nemo - after I'd changed it did rain quite hard!
  • andyp will be seeing you lots then! my plans are

17/10 Legoland 10k
    21/11 Leicester Half Marathon
    5/12 Grim 8
    26/12 Barrow Boxing day 6 handicap
    6/2 Watford Half possibly
    20/2 Bramley 20
    6/3 Reading Half
    20/3 Finchley 20

17/4 FLM
  • Hi Fraggle

We will.
    See you there on Sunday!
  • I've just got the Nike 10k booked in. Thinking of the Dartford 10 mile in Jan but having looked at past results there were just a couple of over 60s who would be slower than me. Hopefully I'll be a bit faster by then!
    Reading Half will also have to be done as seems like standard prep for FLM.
  • A good pre marathon event is the Kingston one in March. I did the 16 miler last year with the help of a RW pacer.

Another 20 mile event is the Worthing 20, usually 3 weeks before FLM. A flat road race of 4x5 mile laps.

you all seem to be doing really well at the moment, now is a good time to be building up a good base to start your FLM training. What you don't want to do is suddenly launch into full on marathon training on the 1st Jan, then end up injured by the end of Feb.

I went on a Trailplus weekend last year, this included some helpful advice about diet. Like cutting out fat...think of it as eating a load of grease. Use a good jam on your toast, leave out the butter. Cut down on cheese, cake, biscuits, creamy sauces. Common sense I guess!

2005 will be my 3rd and hopefully 1st ballot success FLM. Its a great day and best to just enjoy the first one.
  • cutting out cheese!!!! impossible!!

• Cheese on digestives is my fave!

So is Choccy biccies....
  • Can I join in your adventure too?

I did my first half last Sunday in 3 hrs, 2 mins and 41 secs (very precise!) - I did run 9 mins walk 1 and was very proud that I kept it going all the way round. I didn't train half as much as I should have, but having done that and not (quite) come last, I plan to put in a lot more effort!

I went 7 years without cheese and didn't die, so if that's what it takes...

Good luck to everyone else!
  • Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    Daffy - does that mean you've posted oyur entry at last?
  • 6 miles yesterday, 8 miles today.
    My feet are sore!
    I'll rest tomorrow I think......
  • A tough 6 miles yesterday (coping with awful TOTM cramps and the associated extra 2lbs reatined water too!).
    I'd had a bit of a hamstring niggle (which flared up 3-4 miles into the Legoland 10k), but it was fine yesterday, so I'm quite pleased.
  • How is everyone's traning going?
    Managed 6 miles yesterday, at lunchtime too!
    Plan for 9 this weekend as my long run.
    Did nothing last week though so feeling v guilty.

Fraggle - hope the hamstring is ok now.
  • Hi there Andy, hamstring is on the mend. Am now coping with a stiff ankle (all related to tight calf muscles!). Did about 3 miles yesterday and having a quiet day today.
    Didn't run at all last week as I was down at my parents, so need to get back into it!