Options

Little Nemo's Marathon Adventure

Comments

• Options
    Jaq, well done on the PB in those conditions that's fab! As I said i'm gutted I missed it but these things happen I suppose.

Little N, Well done in Brighton, despite the blood stains! a good friend of mine was running (she's also doing FLM) and really enjoyed it.

Am feeling a lot better after all the support on here and some very supportive emails from my mates - I've also signed up for a 10miler 2 weeks before to give me a boost too. Also i'e just added up some of my sponsorship and am almost up to £1000 already which I'm amazed at - shows people have faith in me to do it!!!

right am off to work out a 15 mile route for this weekend... am visiting my Mum in Cardiff so will have a nice change of scenery and probably some hills!!

• Options
    Thanks,

I'm also a first timer for the FLM and 12.5 miles is my furthest distance so far, although I'm quite comfortable on it. Is this much the same for most of us? I'm also on a Golden Bond place so feel a bit under pressure.

I want to do the Wymondham 20 miler in 2 weeks but worried that if I have to drop out someway round my confidence will suffer. Not sure what to do.

I have organised a 6 hr sponsored ten pin bowling session. Got 2 lanes for free and tasked the 12 participants with raising a minumum of £25 each so £300 at least-hopefully more. Got £500 so far in pledges so feeling gradually less stressed about it.
  • Options
    hey Jaq,

The bowling thing sounds like a brilliant idea. I bet you raise more than the minimum - i've been really suprised how generous people have been (and while we're on the topic, who are you runnign for? I hav a vague feeling that I might have talked to you before - I'm running for the alzheimer's research trust)

If you're worried about the 20miles why not look for a 15 or another half mara instead? I'm doing the Half at Silverstone on 13th and know that there are still places left...

(Sorry to hijack your thread a bit little n!)
  • Options
    No worries, hijack away hkp!

As I'm not on a GB place I haven't really started asking for sponsorship yet. I'm really impressed with how much you've both raised. I've been offered £10 from my brother. I might point out to him that it's not even 50p a mile, sniff.
  • Options
    Ooh forgot, welcome to the thread Jaq.

Lovely picture!
  • Options
    Hi Everyone

Good news and bad from this weekend. Good news - I managed just over 16 miles. Bad news - it as sunny when I set out, and I knew they were forecasting snow, but when I found myself running into the teeth of a blizzard, wiping the snow out of my eyes so I could see where I was going, well, er let's just say it was a bit of a low point! Still, thanks to the fantastic guy who runs the Shell garage on the A505, I managed to make a phone call home and the cavalry came to get a soggy, wibbling, frozen mess!

Well done Little Nemo and Jaq. Don't know about the rest of you, but a couple of forums here are really keeping me going - even when I'm hoofing around the country lanes on my own in horrible weather, if I'm not having a good time at least I know that there are loads of like minded souls in the same boat! Don't know why, but it helps and spurs me on, thanks guys.

Jaq, I agree with hkp about maybe not doing the 20 miler just yet. You've got weeks left yet, I'd go to 15 if you can, to boost your confidence. You can do a 20 miler, but it will be a big jump and it may not be worth the risk of injury as they say 10% at a time is the most people should increase.
  • Options
    Morning!!
    Nowhere near as snowy here in Norfolk as GMTV is making out!
    I'm running for the Guide Dogs Association hkp.
    Well done on 16 miles sinewaif-that's my objective for this weekend.
    Take all your points on the 20 miler. There isn't anything else on around here within resonable traveling distance (except another 20 miler!). I was wondering whether to go in to it at long sow run pace and kind of thinking that I probably won't make 20 miles but just see how far I get. That way at least I will have some running support rather than trying really long distances on my own. What do you think?
    Can't decide if that's realistic or defeatist!
  • Options
    Maybe different if you're not planning on doing the full 20 miles. How about parking your car near the mile marker for however far you're planning on going? That way you'll know you've reached your personal goal dropping out early won't knock your confidence, and you won't be tempted to carry on for the full 20. Just and idea. Tons of luck with it, anyway, and let us know how you get on.

By the way, whereabouts in Norfolk? I've got some friends in Dereham, ever heard of a band called Funfrock?
  • Options
    Hi Jaq - a v worthy cause, I've got an aunt who relies on a hearing dog so I know how important they are. I hope your fund-raising goes well. Re the 20, I reckon if you feel ready for it you should give it a go but I would personally worry about feeling like a failure if I didn't finish and push myself for the whole distance and poss doing some damage... but maybe that's just me. I guess only you really know if its right for you.

Sinewaif, just saw your mention of the A505 - whereabouts are you? I'm just outside Cambridge. Well done on the 16 miles in those conditions too!!

Right off for some tea - just done a 5k PB in the gym so think I deserve something nice!!!

:)
  • Options
    Morning folks,

I live in Diss but my parents live near the Norfolk Showground so I know Dereham/Fakenham way quite well. Don't know Funfrock though.
    Weather here today is awful. Ventured out for a club run last night and had a really good 6 miler but my calves/shins are really sore, which is a bit of a worry but I have a proper sports massage booked for saturday.
    Decided against 20 miler-coach said it could do more harm than good and he will run out for 16 with me instead if I manage 14 OK this weekend. I was clearly getting a bit ahead of myself!

Well done on the 5k PB,especially in the gym-that takes motivation!
  • Options
    Hi Jaq,
    My grandparents (long since dead now) used to live in Diss. They always used to tell us about the time a bull got loose in the farmers' market and went rampaging about the town centre ! Do you remember that ? One of those stories that as a kid you like to be told over and over again..... !
  • Options
    Only been here 4 years but that sounds exactly the sort of thing that goes on around here!
  • Options
    Hi All,

how are your week's going? I'm really annoyed tonight as I tried to go to the gym to make up some miles (was supposed to do an hour yesterday but gym was too packed to hog the machine for that long and it was too dark and cold when I got home from work) anyway, went to make up the miles and I couldn't get into the car park! The gym is next to a school and there was a parents evening on and some really intelligent parent had parked across the entrance to the car park in their 4x4... aaargh! had to turn around and come straight back home again. The most annoying thing is that I had already drunk a load of lucozade sport so was really hyperactive!!!!! sounds really funny now i'm typing it - especially since I used the excess energy to do the hoovering!!!

Tomorrow, i'm going to make sure I'm home early enough to have a run outside!

Probably won't be around too much over weekend as off to Wales to visit my Mum. Hope you all have good ones!

:)

• Options
    Hi everyone

hkp, I'm in Steeple Morden, whereabouts are you?

Really hope the weather improves for the Bury 20 on Sunday - the forecast is still horrible!!

Still, time for some training. It says in Runners' World that carbo loading is good, so I'm off for a couple of pints and some crisps.....
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

How did the long runs go this weekend ?
    Feeling chuffed with myself. I did a local club's pre-FLM trianing run which was supposed to be 17 miles. When we got to the end they said it was 17.6 as they'd had to make last minute route changes due to ice. It was a fabulous run - we saw a herd of about 150 deer running alongside us at one point, they then crossed about 20 yards in front of us ! Fantastic ! Didn't see any of them fumbling about for energy gels though....and the only similarity in their running style and mine was the direction we were heading. I'm not called Shuffler for nothing ! Pleased though because although I ran on my own, having others around meant I was quicker doing 17.6 miles yesterday (with hills) than doing 15.5 miles last weekend (flat) on my own.
    How did everyone else do ? See any escaped bulls in Diss Jaq ?

• Options
    Hi folks,

I had to rest this weekend and get a physio massage. Compartment syndrome apparently. Very painful but hope to be OK for club run tomorrow and then back on track. Had a really low fat healthy weekend instead to keep my weight down as gradually turning in to the Carb Queen.

Very impressed with 17.6 miles-well done!

No bulls in Diss but usually bulls*** in office this morning!
  • Options
    Hey all,

Sorry to hear about your injury Jaq, hope its feeling better now.

Shuffler, sounds like you're doing really well - 17.6 means you have less than 10 miles to go for the full distance!

I did 15 miles at the weekend. Completely on my own which is the longest I've done unsupervised! Loved almost all of it as I was running around my hometown so saw lots of places I hadn't been for years. i think that took my mind off what I was doing as the three hours whizzed by. my knee-caps did feel like they were going to fall off when I got home though!!

I'm in a bit of a pickle as have planned to do the Silverstone 1/2 on March 13th. According to my training schedule I'm supposed to be doing 3hours 30 (approx 18 miles at my pace) that day. Am not sure what to do - should I try to go for a later run to make up the time? or should I just forget the distance and go for the best time I can in the 1/2?
  • Options
    Could you do Silverstone and then 3.30 the next week? It's sometimes good mentally and physically, to ease back a bit and do something that feels like a bit of a skive. Gives everything a little rest.
    Calf still a bit sore today but much better so I'm going for the shorter option on the club run tonight and see how it is tomorrow. So desperate to get back on track.
    Just off out to get some nurofen just in case!
  • Options
    i thought of that but that weekend I'm supposed to be doing 4hours (20 miles)... i didn't want to push that on a week as then it will be too close to the mara itself (have read somewhere you shoudl do you longest run 3 weeks before).

Thought I could do the 3h30 this week (supposed to be a recovery week with only 90mins on Sun) and then treat the 1/2 as a recovery instead. oh I dunno!

Be careful tonight jaq, you don't want to do yourself some permanent damage.
  • Options
    Good idea-just do it the other way round. Sort of. As long as our longest run is 20th or 27th March the experts say we should be OK.

Will take care tonight as still a bit slushy here.
    Much as I am looking forward to FLM and I will miss the excitement of all this prep I can't help but think it will be huge relief to get it over now as every day seems to bring some thing to worry about whether it's injury, food, distance, speed and so on. Someone told me it would take over your life but I thought they were exaggerating. Apparently not!
  • Options
    Hello all, glad to hear you're all doing well. Just a v. quick post as I'm in the middle of a 2 week non-stop work project. 9 days already and no days off until the middle of next week....

It's playing havoc with my schedule - perhaps you could all do some extra miles for me?!? ;-)

46 days to go!
    :-)
  • Options
    Oh woe!
    Went out for my club run last night and made it half a mile down the road before my claves muscle went and I hobbled home. Had a large glass of wine and an equally big cry. Need to really seriously look at how I'm going to get round flm.
  • Options
    Jaq, Ouch! poor you. I hope you get better soon. Am sending hugs and good vibes your way...

I didn't make it out last night - got home from work and fell asleep on the sofa. Now I feel v v guilty but Obviously I needed it. Off to the gym tonight to use the tready oh joy!

Little N, work sounds like a nightmare, hope you can still fit a bit of running in!
  • Options
    hey all, just wanted to say that I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Jaq, I hope your calf is better

Little N, I hope work is not too stressful! I'm missing your updates of how many days we've got left!

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to run as back of my knee has been hurting since I ran on Weds night :( am off to the physio this afternoon to get it checked out. Hopefully its just that I need new trainers or something. I'm on an easy week this week so hopefully that wil be enough rest.

happy running!
    H :)
  • Options
    Have a good weekend everyone.

Hope you calf is improving jaq and that your knee is better soon hkp.

I'm doing the reading half marathon tomorrow - so kind of an easier week I suppose ????

Have fun, keep warm.....only 43 days to go now !
  • Options
    Hello everyone, another quick post. Sad to hear of people’s injuries, hope your calf is better now Jaq and hope your knee is better too hkp. How was Reading, Shuffler? I hope you didn't get too cold, it looked freezing!

Managed to fit some runs in before work this week, including doing a 2 hour run to work on Sunday to get in for 9am. Madness! Knee is holding together and heel problem is getting better. So although I’m a bit behind I’m still making progress. 20 mile run is my next big target.

Can’t wait for my day off on Wednesday, my first lie-in for about 5 weeks!

40 days to go!
    :-)

• Options
    Rested calf on frozen peas for most of weekend-seems a little better today. I have a massage today and again saturday so hoping to get out this coming weekend. Way behind on training now but as long as I'm fit for the Broadland 1/2 on the 18th with no ill effects I should still make it round the FLM.
    HKP..how's the knee-what did the physio say?
    Shuffler-hope Reading was OK. A friend of mine did it and said it was freezing!
    LN-Well done on 2hrs. I am very envious!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,
    Hope all the injuries are progressing well.
    Jaq -your friend was right, Reading was bloody freezing ! It was a very flat course so I was disappointed with 2:18 for a half (the slowest time for the 3 I've done so far). When i thought about it later I felt better though as I did the first 6 miles in under an hour (first time ever) and I was taking it pretty steadily really rather than racing. The last 3 miles were awful though - howling winds and plodding with a stitch through the ugly industrial wastelands of Reading ! At least I kept going though. Psychologically it was good for me I reckon - and I did manage a 100 yard sprint into the stadium. And I didn't pick up any injuries so that's another big bonus.Not long now everyone... getting a bit scary isn't it ?
  • Options
    Much as I would like to be have been fit enought to do it.............I'm quite gald I missed out from that description! Naturally I am very jealous that you can runa nd I can't but 2.18 in that sort of weather's not bad at all-well done!
  • Options
    Thanks Jaq,
    Take it easy on that leg. Plenty of ice - and watch out for rampaging bulls in the market square !