Options

Little Nemo's Marathon Adventure

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Well, I’ve had a few days to think about things and thought that I’d do a short race report before I forget everything.

I didn’t feel nervous before the beginning of the race but I did feel a bit anti-social. I didn’t really want to talk to anyone and was happy to be able to find somewhere to sit down on my own at the start. I was cold to start off with so I was glad of my Cancer Research poncho – so stylish! However once I joined the back of Pen 9 I started to warm up and then I realised that it was probably going to be a bit hot for me.

0-8 miles:The easy miles! I started off slightly too fast even though I felt I was going really slowly and didn’t feel out of breath. I knew I was in trouble when I started catching up with the 11min. mile pacing group just after 3 miles, far too fast for me! I was running to each mile marker and then walking for 1 minute as per my race plan. This gave me time to take a proper drink and to eat my jelly babies. Passing by a pub playing “Keep on Running” made me suddenly realise that I was really running FLM and not just watching it on the TV like I normally do. It was amazing to hear the first person cheering my name, made me feel like a star. Loads of noise at Cutty Sark but not too crowded so able to keep running. In fact I had been able to run from before the start line and didn’t find it at all crowded. Maybe the blue start is less busy? As I made it to 8 miles my legs started to feel a bit tired and it dawned on me that I still had a long way to go.

8-18 miles: The middle bit! I settled into a sensible pace and was still only walking 1 minute or so per mile. After Cutty Sark the next big landmark was Tower Bridge. The noise here was incredible and the views of London all glittering in the sunlight were breathtaking – though this may have been the uphill climb to the middle of the bridge! Next milestone was half-way. I reached this in about 2:35 which either meant I was on for a fantastic time, or (much more likely!) I was going to die horribly in the second half. Next milestone was now the Forum support teams at Mudchute and my jelly baby refill. As soon as I got past 16 miles I was on the lookout as I was starting to flag now. I knew I wasn’t going to see them until nearly 17 miles but I was very anxious about missing them. It was great to have the countdown signs so I knew I hadn’t gone past them. Didn’t have much time to see anybody here as it was still so busy and I couldn’t really stop, I ended up just grabbing a bag of jelly babies and I was off again.

To be continued...
  • Options
    18-24 miles: The hard miles! Horrible blister at 19 miles that felt as though it had burst. Had to take a small break to stick on my free Expo plaster but it worked well. Able to run again and could hardly feel it after this. But a lot of my earlier energy had now gone and I was finding it hard to keep going at a reasonable pace. I was trying to lift myself as I approached 20 miles by saying “this is further than you’ve EVER run before!” but to be honest I didn’t care. All I could think about was there was still over 6 miles to go and it seemed so far… At this point I decided to start taking an extra break each mile. I was now walking for the first minute, running the next 5, walking another minute and running to the next mile marker. It didn’t make a huge difference to my times as I was only about 30 secs. per mile over target. I found this part of the course difficult. I felt as though we were running in big circles and not really going anywhere and all those underpasses and tall buildings – I didn’t like it. I can’t believe I managed to run past the Tower of London without seeing it! Managed to keep my pace going until just after 24 miles. But as I stopped for my second walk break I knew I wasn’t going to start running again.

24-26.2: The end! As soon as I excepted that I was going to walk the rest of the way I felt a lot better. I was still on target to finish sub-5:30 so I thought I would soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the last bit. Also I was hoping to see my brother and his wife and I thought it would be easier at a slower speed. Sadly even though I was plodding and they had a banner I still missed them! Did meet some lovely spectators with bits of Mars bar though. I was a bit sick of jelly babies by now so to have a bit of chocolate was divine. They even told me I was doing really well which was probably a bit of a white lie but much appreciated! I work near the finish so I know Birdcage Walk is deceptively long and that the bit around Buckingham Palace is slightly uphill so I decided to save my last bit of energy for the Mall. As I went round the last corner I could hear “What have you done today…” and I suddenly thought “I’ve done it! All those long runs in the cold and the rain and the dark – they were worth it!!!” I was nearly crying as I got onto the Mall, realised how close the finish was and then just pelted along waving my arms like a nutter as I went across the line.

Afterwards was a bit of a blur. Felt OK but had real problems eating anything, I seemed to crave stuff that wasn’t in my goody bag and that I hadn’t bought with me. Don’t think I could have drank any more Lucozade if my life depended on it! The only nice thing I had was my 2 slices of pre-buttered Malt Loaf, so glad I bought them even if they are ridiculously overpriced. I was very glad to see a friendly Shelter Volunteer face – Jo, who helped me back to the Reception. I’d put far too much stuff in my kit bag and it would have been a bit of a struggle without her carrying some of it for me. Finally met up with my brother and his wife at the Shelter reception where I forced myself to eat my Lucozade energy bar and some pasta. Best bit was going home via Starbucks so I could get a grande latte – yum! I could walk OK and didn’t feel particularly sore anywhere, maybe walking the last part of the race helped? Wore my medal for the rest of the day and hung it on my bed post when I went to bed! Had a really uncomfortable night as the sunburn on my shoulders kicked in – ouch… but it was worth it!

Truly one of the best days of my life!!!
    :-)