Wednesday 2nd June

Very early morning all - first time ever tom post.

What: Another frustrating rest day - stuck here in the Malmaison in Leeds (you know when you're getting old when you'd rather stay in your room watching a documentary on the Flying Scotsman rather than a late one at the bar). Last time I was here I managed a PB 2:58:30 and 15th place in the Leeds City Marathon.
Why: Work duty calls and calf on rhs still prevents return to serious training.
Last hard: 3 weeks (I wish the people in the next room would make less noise!).
Last run: 3 days.

Physio session on Thursday - hope to be cleared to run again - setting sights on an autumn marathon or two. Happy running all.

Comments

• Hell, meant to say "first time to post first" (it's late)
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    OK this is yesterdays training, but posted today.

What - 40 minute club run, on my own, nobody else willing to run sub 8 minute miling showed up so I did 40 minutes at just over 7s. Feeling OK after injury but difficulty picking up the pace much - did a faster mile the other night - about 6.20 and whilst it wasn't hard didn't feel that my legs wanted to move much faster. My thighs have got quite a bit bigger in the last 4 months with cycling and I'm wondering if cycling has actually slowed me down - or if it is just the break from running ? League race on Tuesday will be interesting - there are 3 guys who I would have been able to beat by a couple of minutes 4 months ago that I think are probably going to finish in front of me, quite looking forward to it to be honest.

Also a 2 mile bike ride! Did set out for club TT but rain made me turn back and go to running club instead.
  • Morning

What: Nothing
    Why: It had to happen - post marathon infection. Tonsilitis so on anti-biotics til sunday and no running til better. Maybe I'll learn next time. Small blessing in disguise as I'll use the time to stretch out and self massage my knackered left ham-string.
    Last Hard: Sunday's session (6 x (600+300)) in 1:54; 54; 1:50; 52; 1:48; 52; 1:47; 51; 1:46; 50; 1:45; 49. Felt rotten at the beginning but picked up.

Last rest: Tuesday
  • Morning All

What: Moonshine hash run tonight, have never run with the hash as hate the hash names but have been coerced into running tonight.
    Why: Peer pressure
    Last Hard: Friday
    Last Rest Saturday

Happy running
  • Graham
    you lucky s%d

malmaison in leeds
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: Another 6 miles
    Why: to improve
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Last Rest; 7 days
  • Good morning,

What: (Another) big work day so no running
    Why: Keeping to speed work and minimal milage runs while competing in races (10K last Sunday & 10M this Sunday)

Last hard: Last nights club session
    Last rest: Monday

Pammie, the high milage just sort of creeps up on you. I look for more easy opportunities to run (to and from work, to and from training sessions, lunch time jogs) and it just stacks up. Mrs S says I'm addicted, perhaps I am, but I don't half feel good.
  • Morning all,

What: 4M am done, 10M pm steady
    Why: aerobic endurance work

Last hard: Brussels 20K

Last rest: 19 days

resting HR this morning was 39 a bit worried about getting fit too soon!

Popsider, yes cycling could slow your running. But running is good for cycling

Get well those ill or injured!
  • Morning All,

M, CONGRATS on the new job.

What: 13-14M easy / steady.
    Why: Endurance.
    Last hard run: Monday.
    Last rest day: Friday.

Really suffering today with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) following Monday's exploits - hoping to be able to pull myself together, literally, in time for Friday's race.
  • Just under 4 miles

And BOY did my legs know id done a double yesterday
    Please tell me it gets easier

Graham-good luck with physio
    congrats once more to M

and a virtual massage to MM
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Well done M on your new job!

9 miles done was to be 12 but legs are not mine think someone has taken them in the night!!!

plus my GPS died on me at mile 5....seems batteries have gone I wish it would flash up on watch that they were low!!!! I mean I have only had it 3 weeks.

Also reason legs not right my back has gone so back to physio tomorrow for a session but I will do my 9 miler before physio tomorrow morning!

Have a good day out there today!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Good luck in your new job, M.

Graham and Mike, heal and recover soon.

What: Spencers' Dash tonight (3.75 miles)

Why: 3rd in series of 6, anything sub 21 mins will be ok.

Last hard: Sun

Last rest: 18 days
  • Morning,

WP, you be careful with that back!

MikeB, hope you are feeling better soon.

Graham, can feel your frustration but don't rush back until things are right.

Well done on the job M!

what:club run pm

Why:it's club night. Sort of wishing I'd gone this morning now, looks lovely out there.

Last rest:Monday
    Last hard: last Wednesday
  • Lyrics are from a Jackson Browne song btw.
  • Morning

Yesterday's 6 miles including hill reps didn't happen! I felt absolutely exhausted so turned it into a 4 mile recovery run instead. I think I may have increased the mileage too much last week and Sunday/Monday were hard too. Anyway, 4 and a bit miles already done. Started with heavy legs still but felt fine at the end. Hopefully I'll be back on track and feel stronger tomorrow!

Last rest: Saturday
    Last hard: Sunday

Bye!
  • Morning

M well done on new job!

WP Timex says the batteries only last 10hrs of use, there should be a battery function to check, on mine when being used flick through mode button and im sure you have black bar showing remaining power!

BR race well tonight - look forward to ya report!

MM hope you recover for your race on friday!

What: 16 miles using my 3+5 mile routes

Lap 1 = 5 miles 35:01 warming up
    Lap 2 = 3 miles 19:04 Pushing it
    Lap 3 = 5 miles 33:13 steady
    Lap 4 = 3 miles 20:54 Winding down

Total: 1:48

Probably should be happy with that was looking in getting under 19 and 33 for the middle two sets but im still learning on pace at the moment - must get myself to the track!

Now have a full body massage to look forward to at 9:30am

PM: Will look at a easy 5 miles or a session on the turbo trainer.

Why: Marthon training

Last Hard: Last Friday for running and sunday for cycling

Last Rest: Forced rest days mon + Tues

Have fun
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning.

I know how you feel MM with the DOMS as I too have had them since yesterday. Self massage last night with my Scholl massager has helped though, but no running today as I keep forgetting I still have an injury.

What:either a swim or short cycle
    why:read above and I'm due to do a long run tomorrow so want to be fresh for it.
    last hard:Sunday
    last rest:Saturday

Hope you get better soon MikeB!

Do you have to be doing loads of cycling to find it slows running or does all cycling slow running?
  • Morning,
    Going through a bad patch with my running at the mo. Just recovering from a cold which put me out for a week , but my foot and ankle are still bad. Resorted to running a few miles a night and see what happens. I am going to buy a road bike over the next week or two and maybe have a couple of weeks total break from running.
  • Morning all.

Ran for 54mins today along the Mayfield valley. Bright and sunny here in Sheffield, a big contrast to yesterdays cloud and constant rain.

Tonight probably half mile reps in the local park.

Looking to find some 10ks from next month to get me back into the habit of racing again.

Good luck in the Spencers BR. Give my regards to everyone at Barnsley. Hopefully I'll be seeing you at the races soon.
  • Morning all

Club 5k Time trial last night

Two hilly laps. I went off in last wave of 4. Group comprised 'Miss South Africa' (visiting celeb, 2.40 marathon), 'Spoiler' (local classy runny with to-die-for pb's incl 15.30 5k), 'Loper' (rising star of club) and me - eager to see if I could stay close to Loper.

km one - gently rising - my usual warm up involves carrying 2 small boys to registration desk, tearing off clothes and kissing long-suffering wife. For once I have done something constructive pre race and consequently dash off in the lead of a tight group. Spoiler keeps strolling up alongside me to check the weather, looking bored.

km two - steep down then up - I make a teensy gap on the downhill (my speciality), but Spoiler loses patience after that and skips off in the lead. Loper is glued to my shoulder, Miss SA is clearly just training and fades away.

km three - all uphill - feeling pretty tired, Spoiler gets 10 seconds clear, Loper still tucked in behind me.

km four - rising then steep descent - Feeling shattered, entering 'the death zone', but Spoiler is not increasing his lead, and Loper is now making wounded animal noises.

km five - all uphill - famous coach Jack Daniels says 'run the first two thirds with your mind and the last third with your heart'. It's a great pre-race strategy, but during the race I have to translate it into something stricter: 'if you blow it at the start, you're brainless; if you blow it at the end, you're spineless'. I have an image of Loper doing strides before the start - all athletic and gristly shouldered. I don't fancy a sprint against him, so try a surge with 500m to go. He doesn't respond and I get a very pleasing result.

Spoiler 16.37 course record
    FG 16.47
    Loper 16.50
    Miss SA 17.19

Only 17s outside my 14 year old pb on a tough course, with zero quality work so far this year. All very encouraging.
  • AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Great race and report FG.

Graham and Mike - best wishes for your recoveries.

BR - good luck in the race tonight.

What: 5m easy (done)
    Why: easy recovery day
    Last hard: a few days ago
    Last rest: 4 days

Have a good one.
  • FG, really interesting report. Love the quote about

'if you blow it at the start, you're brainless; if you blow it at the end, you're spineless'.

Pete, will do. We've organised a 5k race in Locke Parkon Sunday if you can make it?
  • Fab report FG! Love it, and a great result

Well done on the job M - and I'm glad you're enjoying the training .

WP - careful there, if you're suffering it's better to have a day off 'nine miles before physio' is a bit daft, 'specially in the first week of marathon training, you don't want to mess up the next 18 weeks!

What: Recovery run (c.4 miles) + swim efforts this lunchtime. Climbing wall and 1 hour recovery ride on bike tonight.
    Why: TRi training and holiday prep.
    Last hard: yesterday's run - it didn't feel so hard at the time but my thights are really sore today.
    Last rest: Last Thursday

Popsider - I know what you mean about the thighs, I have developed muscles in some very strange places since I picked up the cycling mileage. But my running times seem to be faster - I think that's cos I'm now pushing myself when I'm running to the same degree as I would if I was cycling - and as I cycle a lot harder than I run, this means that I'm putting more efort into eaach run (if that makes sense!).
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Well done, FG - very entertaining report too!

WP - be careful of your back. If it goes it could take ages to recover. Better to be cautious now in early stages of marathon training when it doesn't matter too much if you miss a few sessions than to risk not being able to train later on through injury. (Wish I could practise what I preach ...)

Hmmm - was thinking of getting a bike at some point but all this talk of huge thighs puts me off!!

What: 5 miles very easy.
    Why: Running with someone from work who's doing her first ever race (10K) next month and wants someone to run with but is very slow apparently. Hope that slow running doesn't cause recurrence of knee injury ...
    Last hard: Sunday - didn't feel hard at all but ran 5.6 miles at 8:10 pace - was astonished when I worked out the distance!
    Last rest: Yesterday - a little too much alcohol consumed after work ...

Have a good day folks!
  • I agree with Lizzie, I don't seem to have suffered loss of running speed, even though I'm only on 3-4 a week and less than 30 miles. Clearly though I am still not doing enough bike as Geel Duathlon times show.
    Quick race report
    Was as usual wondering what I was doing amongst all the athletes, most of whom on fantastic bikes and were not prone to falling off on stopping unexpectedly like myself (managed it twice on reccying the route the previous day) Also there were no mountain bikes racked up in transition which always makes me feel a bit better. After downpurs the previous day, the elites were racing in the wet, we had dry if not totally warm weather.

The course was fenced off with adverts on which made me feel like I was in a serious race, plus all the different nationalities entered.
    Our wave was off at 9 am no time to get anxious.

10k run- 39:44
    Wanted 39 ish and so was reasonably pleased, this was a flat course 2 laps with an out and back route. I just decided to run as fast as I could and never mind the consequences for the bike. Got in a bit of a scuffle with one girl stepping on my heel and trying to shove past on a corner, an evil look and a menacing "F*ck off" seems to be universally understood. Was right behind Michelle Parsons who eventually went on to win.
    Position on run: 4th
    Transition, I seemed to go into a bit of a dream and was really slow, maybe worrying about forgetting my helmet or some other infringement. Looking at the time of 1:08 I could have put make up on in that time normally.
    Bike (40k)
    A three lap course with some sharp turns but all flat, I got averaging 20 mph for the first lap, then drifted into a slower pace on the second lap, was getting passed all the time and so got a bit disheartened, but picked it up a bit on the third lap. Some confusion coming into transition as runners were in your path, but I crawled in to avoid falling off or knocking anyone over.
    Bike time a shameful 1:20:32 (26th)

2nd transition,
    Once again seemed to go into sluggish mode and was having trouble with my fingers which were a bit numb, but after a useless time of 1:29 I could relax into my last run

5k run-
    set off passing people instantly who seemed to be affected by the bike, not the case for me thankfully I was loosened off and ready to make up some of the places I had lost. Even though the run was hard and I was flat out, I didn't expect a time of 18:24 which is a 5k pb by 19 seconds, hurrah (positon-3rd)

Overall I was 16th, the bike letting down my overall performance so it's more biking for me. I was very pleased with the last run and don't seem to have any problems once off the bike, must be the cycling from work then out to the club for a run that's been doing it, and of course that "duathlon" session of Speedies.
  • Well done Monique, great report. I had a sneaky look at the results at the weekend so I knew you´d done well. Those are fab run times - aaah, the stuff of dreams for me. Well done for asserting your national identity on the run stage, I would have done exactly the same!

BTW I´m working on my bike speed at the moment - every Friday is now speedwork day, 20 mile circuit with 10 efforts - 30-secs effort, with 2.30-3 min recoveries. Best not to do it on a busy road though, the 45 seconds are at max effort, with lactic acid screaming in legs and an inability to use arms by the last few efforts. Seems to be working though :-) Really not sure if I could run afterwards though, but will try next time...!
  • Cheers Lizzy, I think getting my turbo trainer out is on the cards. After a weekend in Begium where evrything is geared up for cycling and the motorists so considerate, even of dithering Brits trying to read a titchy map of the bike route I start to get a bit irate, not a good frame of mind to be out in.

The one thing there is less is obese people, it's very noticable.
  • Excellent report Monique!

That is a awsome 5k time coming from the bike leg and a PB too.

Still a good 10k time even though you know what has to come next!

Whenever I train I always do bike then running but have never reversed it and done run then bike, think I could quite get into dualthlon myself!

Can I ask what was the field like No. of race entries etc and what was the winning time?

Again well done Monique great going!
  • Hi!

Well done Monique!

what: rest from running. gym later

Happy running/resting/recovering!
  • Forefeet Good great racing too and what sounds a toughie - well done!